Author Topic: Maytag washer odor and smoke  (Read 3113 times)

Offline JerryWilder

• VIP Member
Maytag washer odor and smoke
« on: September 25, 2009, 11:08:35 AM »
The last time we used the washer there was a faint odor which I could not determine if it was electrical, motor overheat, or rubber (belt slipping etc). When we opened the door, there was a haze inside the tub, with the clothes, still not a very strong odor which I could definitely associate with any particular source. Any suggestions before I try to tear into it?

Model MAH4000AWW

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Maytag washer odor and smoke
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 11:35:44 AM »
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 11:50:34 AM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JerryWilder

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 12:41:57 PM »
Thanks AJ, I just ran the washer through a rinse cycle only (empty) and saw no smoke, smelled no odor. Is the voltage applied continuously to the wax motor throughout the wash and rinse cycles, therefore, the longer voltage is applied, the hotter the device will get? Therefore, if I ran a complete wash/rinse cycle, I should have the smoke/haze and odor, if that is for sure the problem? What is the expected result if I just continue to use the washer? Will it eventually burn up, just quit working, damage anything else? If I take the washer apart and remove the part, will there be any visible indication of a problem with wax motor? 

This washer had recall repairs done on it a few years ago. Seems to me that a new wax motor may have been a part of that rework. Can't remember for sure. As I recall there were at least two recall procedures performed on it at that time.

The puzzling thing to me was how the smoke/haze was only inside the tub. I assume the wax motor is in that grey plastic piece in the top of the tub opening, where the locking mechanism is? That would certainly explain how the smoke got inside the tub. If it were a belt or motor, the smoke and odor would be coming from the back or bottom of the machine, not inside, would it not?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 01:32:53 PM »
Maybe repairman or whirlpool tech can give a better answer. I only work on older stuff. I am JW by the way.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 05:44:27 PM »
This has nothing to do with wax motors...

What you witnessed was a grey haze created by water which has penetrated your rear tub seal. When this seal fails, usually due to using the wrong type of detergent instead of HE, water mixes with the black carbon-based grease on the shaft of the spinner and turns into smoke when the drum turn at 850+ RPMs. If there is no associated grinding or roar during the spin cycle yet, it may not be too late to remove the spinner and  replace the tub seal with a new one before bearing damage is  done.

Additionally, a failing motor control board  down in the front right corner will also cause a similar phemomena, thouogh the smoke is  a lighter color and a burning odor accompanies it. You can remove the front panel and inspect the motor control board  visually for signs of darkened ares, particularly along the top set of resistors on the board. If they are  scorched, replace the motor and board with kit # 12002039.

Part # 12002039 Motor - Drve, AP4010145

Smoke like this starts outside the tub, but within the confines of the cabinet. It gets inside the tub when the spinner is going fast, which draws it in thru the dispenser on top. If any of the 4 screws holding the soap dispenser are missing or the bezel is broken, this will enhance the chance for smoke to enter the tub and be there when you open the door.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 06:06:44 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 07:07:27 PM »
Excellent
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JerryWilder

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 07:39:51 AM »
Well, JW I was HALF correct, I got the J right. I guess the "AJ Team" stuck in my little feeble.

Today is Sat and I will begin trying to see who is right. I will start with the easier stuff first.

I'll let you know if I find the problem. Thanks again

Maytag Neptune washer MAH4000AWW

Started by Sue

Replies: 8
Views: 8512
Last post February 09, 2013, 07:41:01 AM
by def
Video: Old Maytag Gas Washer

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 3975
Last post September 04, 2007, 10:34:57 PM
by AJ
Maytag Washer Bearing Repalcement MLG2000AWW

Started by davidpgh1

Replies: 8
Views: 10485
Last post January 06, 2008, 01:59:10 PM
by inot66
Maytag LAT8704AAE Washer Leak

Started by endresrk

Replies: 3
Views: 5630
Last post August 28, 2007, 08:11:12 PM
by AJ
How to replace a Maytag - Amana washer water pump and belt.

Started by AJ

Replies: 18
Views: 30029
Last post April 19, 2010, 08:23:29 PM
by JWWebster
How old is my Maytag washer?

Started by jon

Replies: 1
Views: 18139
Last post September 03, 2007, 12:42:08 PM
by AJ