Author Topic: Sears Kenmore (Whirlpool) Dishwasher - Red cancel light on at random times  (Read 4645 times)

Offline dynamite monkey

• VIP Member
I have this dishwasher that has worked well for a couple years.  

Recently, it began lighting the red cancel light during all stages of the wash cycles.  It would be on for several minutes, then half way through the wash cycle it would turn off, only to turn on again moments later.  This repeats itself probably a half dozen times or more throughout a full cycle.

I've looked through the service sheet behind the kick plate and there is no information as to what the cancel light means when lit during a cycle.  We had a repair company come out and they decided it was the main control board.  They put a new board in and it worked fine for a few days but the exact same problem is back now.

I've done a diagnostic cycle and a full wash cycle after that and the same issue occurs repeatedly.  The red light also comes on during the diagnostic cycle.  According to the service sheet, the red cancel light, (only listed as "All other status LEDs"), is not supposed to illuminate except for the first six seconds which is purely an LED operation check.  

I can find no information as to exactly what the red cancel light means during a wash cycle.  Does anyone know?

Model 665.13742K600
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 08:55:57 AM by Al Capone »

Offline dynamite monkey

• VIP Member
Sorry... original post contains the wrong part number.  The correct number is:

665.13742K600

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
Usually the clean light blinking means there is a problem with the heating cicuit. Chech the element and thermostat for continuity. If these are OK then you probably need a new thermistor.

Offline Al Capone

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • ApplianceJunk.com
I updated the topic to include the correct model number information, thanks.  O0

RepairClinic.com - Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy!

AppliancePartsPros.com - Over 1 Million Appliance Parts In-Stock. 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!

Offline dynamite monkey

• VIP Member
Usually the clean light blinking means there is a problem with the heating cicuit. Chech the element and thermostat for continuity. If these are OK then you probably need a new thermistor.

It's not the clean light that lights up.  It's the cancel light.  It doesn't ever blink either.  This image is taken after a wash cycle.  The clean light is on, but only to indicate the cycle is complete. 

I updated the topic to include the correct model number information, thanks.  O0

Thanks!

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
It means the heater circuit was not activated properly , which can include an open tub thermostat or an open heater. The board looks for any discrepancy on all components. Do some OHM checks using the tech sheet. An overfill due to poor draining can also cause this, such as suds in the tub.

If the board was changed, do the diagnostic test to see if it will reset the condition.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 09:10:56 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline dynamite monkey

• VIP Member
It means the heater circuit was not activated properly , which can include an open tub thermostat or an open heater. The board looks for any discrepancy on all components. Do some OHM checks using the tech sheet. An overfill due to poor draining can also cause this, such as suds in the tub.

If the board was changed, do the diagnostic test to see if it will reset the condition.

Thanks for the info.  I couldn't find this information anywhere on the tech sheet.

I already did a diagnostic cycle since replacing the board.  Then I did a full wash cycle.  The light still comes on. 

I will look into doing some checks on the heater CCT.  It's definitely not suds of anything like that.  I ran the last load without soap.  I'll check the drainage also to make sure it's flowing nicely. 

Whirlpool Dishwasher GU1200XTLQ1 Dead, clean light blinks.

Started by barb

Replies: 2
Views: 6841
Last post August 11, 2007, 08:05:47 AM
by barb
Whirlpool Dishwasher GU1500XTLB2 clean led blinks 7 times

Started by wyandotford

Replies: 3
Views: 5012
Last post December 03, 2007, 07:48:16 AM
by wyandotford
Whirlpool Dishwasher clean light flashing