Author Topic: Washer Won't Drain  (Read 4656 times)

Offline nedserious

• VIP Member
Washer Won't Drain
« on: September 19, 2009, 04:36:58 PM »
Hello, I have a Whirlpool washer (LSR7233EQ0) which is about 12 years old ( i think around 1997 is when I got it).  Today it filled with water, agitated but will not drain.  When I turn the knob to rinse so it can drain, i hear a "humming / buzzing" sound and nothing drains, etc.

I thought perhaps it was a one time thing, but I then set it back to agitate, and then checked in later, and the water is still in there and turning the knob to drain again, only makes the humming sound and nothing happens.  

I researched some sites and drained the water from the back, then tilted it forward and found the pump and hoses and motor, etc.  I removed the clamps and checked both the inlet and the outlet hoses.  Both were clear and not obstructed. I put my finger in the pump and was able to turn the wheel inside the pump with my finger just fine.  Nothing is obstructing the inside of the pump.  I then unclamped the pump, and turned the motor by hand by turning the bolt looking thing that sticks out of the motor and into the pump.  That turned freely as well.  

Any thoughts as to what to try next?  Thank you very much in advance.

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
Re: Washer Won't Drain
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 04:44:43 PM »
Check the lid switch it's probably broken.

Offline nedserious

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 07:24:06 PM »
I put the washer back together, but unscrewed the lid switch and it looks fine physically and the lever or whatever is called clicks properly when pushed down.  I then started up the washer and turned it to the "rinse" cycle and it "buzzzzzzzz/hummmmmms" again.  I'm holding the lid switch in my hand at this point to make sure that its fully depressed and I can feel it getting very warm.  I then did something that i know very little about, but, i have a multitester and i tested it by setting it to "OHM X1K" and then put each probe into one of the wiring harness connections and it reads "infinity" and then when i depress the switch, the meter moves to 2.5.  I tried to get the plastic switch part open to test it there, but couldn't.

thoughts?  and thanks very much.  i'm 3 for 3 over the years in fixing the washer, even though i really don't know much about it.  but sites and help like this almost always works.  i'd hate to stop that streak.  Thank you for any responses.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 07:27:16 PM »
Some repair pix my brother:
 REPAIR PIX
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline nedserious

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 08:53:30 PM »
Thank you.  The lid switch seems to be in tact and not broken. I'm not sure if 2.5 is a normal reading for it or not.  I think I'll try and jump it tomorrow and maybe that will let me know for sure if it's the lid switch or not.  Thanks.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 09:29:58 PM »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 10:27:42 PM »
nedserious are you from Uganda?
You have the Uganda flag showing.

Offline nedserious

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 07:13:35 AM »
I didn't think I was from Uganda but I am willing to try.  My new official language is Luganda (although I do know some Swahili too), I live in the Nile basin, I love to play cricket and football (soccer to you), and despite the global downturn and regional instability in the world recently, in 2008, my country reported 7% growth.  "Viva Uganda!!"  (ok, I must admit I need to learn my country's slogan still).   O0

Offline nedserious

• VIP Member
Re: Washer Won't Drain - I jumped the lid switch, still buzzing
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 10:06:28 AM »
Ok, i got a piece of wire and jumped the lid switch and the washer still "bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzes" and nothing happens when in spin/rinse mode.     :(

What are some next things to try???

Thanks.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 12:58:48 PM »
Take the pump off and see if a item of clothing is in there.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline nedserious

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 01:30:27 PM »
Thanks, I did take off the hoses and checked the pump, it's clear....

"I removed the clamps and checked both the inlet and the outlet hoses.  Both were clear and not obstructed. I put my finger in the pump and was able to turn the wheel inside the pump with my finger just fine.  Nothing is obstructing the inside of the pump.  I then unclamped the pump, and turned the motor by hand by turning the bolt looking thing that sticks out of the motor and into the pump.  That turned freely as well."

-------

next steps???  thoughts???  thanks.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 05:06:33 PM »
remove the motor and try running it alone to see if it is weak
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 05:16:56 PM »
If it also buzzes when set to Spin, it may be the Timer Contacts (reverses the Motor's Start Windings)

Check the voltage from

Blue to White = 120v AC

Black to Yellow = 120v AC

LSR7233EQ0 Wiring Diagram
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline tidebatt1

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 08:26:33 PM »
I have experienced this problem, look through this topic and I'm sure you will find the same to be occurring. "Whirlpool Washer agitates and spins when it wants to!" topic. I ultimately had to replace the neutral drain kit on mine, and it helped for a little while. Then suddenly started acting up again. Now I can only run the machine on a small load setting. That's okay in my situation though, I only use it for shop rags now. I replaced it, my wife couldn't wait.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 09:22:31 PM »
Dangit Tidebatt I feel dat pain.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

My Maytag washer won't drain

Started by krisncameron

Replies: 1
Views: 4108
Last post November 18, 2007, 12:45:00 PM
by apptech
whirlpool washer model LXR9245EQ1- won't drain-slow spin

Started by fixmeplz

Replies: 2
Views: 6698
Last post January 16, 2008, 10:13:02 PM
by JWWebster
Frigidaire Washer - Noisy During Drain Cycle.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3913
Last post December 27, 2007, 07:54:12 PM
by AJ
Washer spins but doesn't drain

Started by veryhipp

Replies: 5
Views: 5431
Last post February 25, 2008, 02:05:19 PM
by veryhipp
Kenmore Washer will not drain or spin, agitates on the agitate lo cylce only