Author Topic: Subzero Questions Please  (Read 3003 times)

Offline phdee

• VIP Member
Subzero Questions Please
« on: September 13, 2009, 12:50:24 PM »
Hello,

I have a subzero 550, about 10 years old, was in the house I just bought, which was vacant for some time before I bought it.

When I fired it up, neither the frig or freezer got anywhere near temp.  I disected it and bypassed the thermostats.  Hard wired on the freezer gets to about 5F and the fridge gets to about 42F.  Also, after about 5 minutes the frig compressor clicks and shuts off, then clicks back on, this continues at about 1 minute intervals. 

The systems are not sealed, there are valve stems where most systems were pinched off and sealed.  I do not know if Subzeros are made this way, or if it has been repaired previously.

I'm assuming it needs to be recharged, it is R12.  I assume the clicking is a thermal over temp  of some type.  But I also see references to relays.

I'd really appreciate input from you expert types.
Thank You !!

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Subzero Questions Please
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 02:52:36 PM »
Well, you bypassed the main board to force it to run, so the symptoms now are a sealed system issue on the FF side. Whether a leak or a restriction, this will have to be determined by a certified refrigeration tech.  All of this will cost about 1/3 the cost of replacing this unit.

BTW, SubZeros always have access valves or pinch-off tubes to do sealed-system diagnostics from. If the unit  is low on Freon or runs excessively, it will cut out. If you don't know what type of refrigerant it has, read the model plate...it  says what kind and how much.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 06:47:52 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 05:18:45 PM »
Gee it ain't too far from being fine, are the coils all clean and propah around them condensers?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 05:28:10 PM »
OMG, JW...can't you stay off topics you know nothing about? You're getting on my last nerve , sir....

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 05:54:25 PM »
That clicking might be a bad relay. Some relay pix
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 05:59:43 PM »
By the way I am more of a moderator and like Al I am a side kick to the fearless leader so what the repairman says is the best advice and I am learning as I go.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 06:14:24 PM »
No, you have never learned to refrain from posting when you have no experience with a specific brand, such as Sub Zero. They are fairly complicated animals and have their own uniques set of issues and make-up. Whatever you have learned about standard refrigerators in your life as a "serviceman" does not always apply to every situation. And whether you perceive yourself as a moderator or not has absolutely no bearing on your experience. For that matter, neither does Al.

And may I remind you, you have the most annoying habit of hounding my posts and making off the wall suggestions that do not apply and only serve to confuse the reader. Dang right, I thought about condenser issues before I made my previous recommendation, so rest assured, I can handle the post without interference.

There is a time to post and a time to learn. Sit back and watch...

p.s. sorry if I sound a little irritated...it's not every day the doctor tells you that you  only have about 20 more years left to be ambulatory. Never thought I would have degenerative spine disease, but there you have it. Nothing personal.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 06:50:47 PM by Repair-man »

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 06:57:08 PM »
Hell I have the same thang. My back is hurting right now. I can't sleep well. Join the fun my amigo. Hell I know you. You love this as much I. I wish I knew half of what you have forgot. It is up to us guys to pass along what we know to the next set of yeahoos. Just hang in there Kimosabe. Its all good.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 07:35:33 PM »
Thanks  JW...I really don't mean to be belligerent, and you are absolutely correct...our combined knowledge  might save others from  making the mistakes that we both have over the years of tinkering with this stuff. I'm on some pretty strong medicine right now and I admit it has affected my moods quite a bit. I appreciate your being  considerate of my situation enough to comment. I'm sure you have your own burdens to bear. Maybe it's time I quit hanging around here so much.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 07:57:05 PM »
Can't you see this sight is something special? We have the ability to take this site to unknown heights on the web world. Who knows what we can accomplish if we just hang in there! Who knows? We might just be up there with the this old house guys with our own tv show! Who knows where these things go? The economy is bad. People need to save money. If we can help enough people then we might even get a nod from President Obama. Not that we would be doing it for any fame or fortune but for doing the right thing! Then maybe I can get it through my peeps thick skull that this here internet means something other than silly games or ill gotten passions.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 07:59:47 PM »
... we might even get a nod from President Obama...
or from Al Gore, the inventer of the internet.  :rofl:
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 08:00:40 PM »
Yeah Him too :D Don't fergit my man can pull the plug anytime :D
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Earl Dryer

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 08:30:11 PM »
None, of you 3 fellers should even consider hanging it up on this site, Ya'll
are my HERO's

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 05:53:19 AM »
None, of you 3 fellers should even consider hanging it up on this site, Ya'll
are my HERO's

O0

You can say that again. I may have started the site, but I will be the first to tell you that I'm no expert on all brands.

I learn new things from my own site all the time.

Never thought I would have degenerative spine disease, but there you have it. Nothing personal.

Sorry to hear that.

Maybe it's time I quit hanging around here so much.

Don't even think about it buddy! I have learned a lot from your post.

I have always felt very lucky that you take the time to contribute so much to our site when you have a site of your own too, thanks!

btw: I also enjoy Repair-mans site a lot, http://repair2000.com as he can tell you I check it constantly through out the day to see if there is anything new. :)

Offline phdee

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 08:32:55 AM »
Well, you bypassed the main board to force it to run, so the symptoms now are a sealed system issue on the FF side. Whether a leak or a restriction, this will have to be determined by a certified refrigeration tech.  All of this will cost about 1/3 the cost of replacing this unit.

BTW, SubZeros always have access valves or pinch-off tubes to do sealed-system diagnostics from. If the unit  is low on Freon or runs excessively, it will cut out. If you don't know what type of refrigerant it has, read the model plate...it  says what kind and how much.

Thank you for your feedbaack!!
It does not have any circuit board, I just bypassed the thermostats, they are both screwed up, do not open and close any where near the correct temps.  I see I can them for about $50 each, no big deal.  I further disected, it is a round device that opens and closes, clicking, I assume this is the thermal over load protector?  Question is, is it bad, or is the compressor drawing too much current?  I also see a relay, that if I understand correctly switches between the start windings and run windings, could that be bad, causing the compresor to run on the start windings?
It is R12, can I still get that recharged?
Thank You !!!

Subzero questions and observations

Started by Ricktec

Replies: 1
Views: 157
Last post February 13, 2014, 02:26:17 PM
by Ricktec
550 Subzero ice maker will not stop making ice

Started by pummy

Replies: 3
Views: 3536
Last post May 05, 2009, 07:04:49 PM