Author Topic: just opened a business in miss  (Read 6278 times)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: just opened a business in miss
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 05:04:32 PM »
yeah RCA and GE as well as Hotpoint are all GE
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline bigjon30

• Technician
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 04:05:08 PM »
ok on a roper washer it will fill with the water and wont do anything else i checked lid switch its still good

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 05:11:36 PM »
Uh, RCA/Whirlpool corporation was the original company. Not ge.

At present they have sold the rights to a Thomson Group, no doubt a financia holdings group:

http://home.rca.com/en-US/RCA-Brand.html
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 05:15:53 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline bigjon30

• Technician
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 05:52:23 PM »
i need to know bout that roper washer is it the timer no buzzing noise on the motor

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 06:00:00 PM »
On this forum, always start a new topic and include the model number of the appliance. Adding to another post  is not allowed, thanks.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline bigjon30

• Technician
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 06:58:46 PM »
sorry bout that man wil do

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 10:38:00 PM »
      Must mirror the other techs.    Been in this business for over 36 years.     My father was in it for 38 total,  and we overlapped each other 20 years .    MUST Have insurance before you do Job #1.    You don't tighten a gas line properly,   fire starts and KABOOM  there goes everything you own.  Or you don't tighten a water line properly and ruin a 15,000 dollar wood floor.    Don't even think about working without insurance.   I carry a 1,500,000 liability policy and it isn't that badly priced.   Shop around.     
      I do all non warranty work,   and have built what I consider a powerful,  and sizeable loyal customer network.  I prefer NON WARRANTY WORK>    I get a large amount of my work from referrals.   It is, in my opinion,  the BEST way of getting customers.   I don't want to deal with the paperwork,  and all of the stipulations involved with warranty work.    However,   when starting out,  If you need to fill a certain amount of hours,  doing warranty work and making  a smaller amount of money than your non warranty work is better than no money at all.    In the beginning,  it can fill out your hours until you build enough of a network of customers to keep you busy week after week.  Remember also,  the more diverse you are the less chance you have of sitting in your office with nothing to do.  For example,  I repair all domestic appliances,  Coin operated and commercial laundry equipment (my specialty, up to 400 lb commercial washers and dryers.  I am a service entity for 3 companies,  and the manufacturer gives my name out regulary to customers needing service.   Great thing, warrantys are very short for commercial equipment and all work is non warranty),  Dry Cleaning equipment,  Presses and steam equipment,  and Commercial Kitchen equipment.    My commercial clients include 4 Laundromats, 4 Dry Cleaners, 10 Restuarants, 2 Catering Operations, 8 Hotels and 3 Health clubs to mention a few.   These type of clients constantly have work for me.   Mix in the Home service calls,  and I have at mimimum 60 hours a week of work.    Last week I worked over 80 hours.  I had a DJ business in the past but no longer have any time for that.   My message - DIVERSIFY.   Don't put all your eggs in one basket.  I also can do HVAC,  but gave that up.   Remember, you Cannot Do Everything.     When my domestic work slows,  I always have work at laundromats and hotels.     
      Over the years,  I have tried every form of advertising.    Besides the phone book,  I also have a presence on the web,   and use several key newspaper ads in small town papers to enhance my advertising.     EXPERIMENT .    Keep what works,   eliminate what doesnt.  Join some business help groups,   they will help you with marketing, setting up business,  Legal issues,  etc. 
      One other piece of advice.    Do Good work.   Make the customer happy no matter what.    Better to loose a little money than have a ticked off customer.    One bad referral  is worse that 10 good ones.    Bad news travels.  And don't work on items you cannot fix.  Always appear to be knowledgable even if you are working on a new appliancem you've never seen before.    People call you because you are an expert.   Act like it. 
     Good luck.   

Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 10:43:41 PM »
Excellent advice Wedgenator. O0
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 06:05:52 AM »
thanks JW.  You sound alot of my thoughts in your posts.   
     In this business,  nothing beats experience and knowledge.     I collect and read as many manuals as I can,   go to as many schools as I can,  and am always thrilled to learn something new.    Advice to New or inexperienced techs - YOU NEVER STOP LEARNING!!   EVER!!  I taught refrigeration at a trade school for several years,   and Noticed students that were not very interested in learning.   I gave them all the same advice.   Drop out and don't waste time,  get into something that interests you.     
     I don't have alot of time to get in here and check out this site lately,  but I would like to see people that want to get into this business benefit from some of our experience.   I've made a very good living in this business,   and believe it or not  I ENJOY MY JOB.   I couln't have been in this profession this long and not enjoy my work.  There is no better feeling than when you repair an appliance,  walk out with a paycheck,  and made someone happy that they don't have to buy a new Refrigerator, Washer, etc.
     A ton of free knowledge can be gained just by reading the posts here on appliance junk.   There is a lot of experienced people in here helping out.   I'm just trying to do a very small part myself,  and I'm glad to do it.   New techs should be on here every night increasing their knowledge.   
     Well, enough lecturing.    Time for a nice Lemon iced doughnut or two and a cup of coffee.    Later.   

Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 12:37:39 AM »
If you want to become an authorized Whirlpool service provider please fill out the attached application and mail it to Benton Harbor, MI for processing.

Offline bigjon30

• Technician
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 11:36:31 AM »
thank you all for this information i has came in very handy for me

Offline phillytech1

• VIP Member
    • A.S.A.P APPLIANCE REPAIRS HOME
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2010, 11:17:49 PM »
Hey I just opened my business in May and things are going good sofar.
I have 15 Years of Appliance Repair so from one "New" Business owner to another i wish you good luck with it. If theres anything i can help you with just ask. I am pretty knowledgeable with the laws and insurance aspects and getting good warrenty work. If you want try to get the Home Warrenty Companies they pay good and give good work.
Any questions give me a shout
                                                  Phillytech1
                                           A.S.A.P APPLIANCE REPAIRS LLC.
PHILLYTECH1
A.S.A.P APPLIANCE REPAIRS LLC

How long have you been in the Appliance business?

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 1437
Last post March 14, 2008, 11:18:44 AM
by JWWebster
Appliance Repair Business & the iPad.

Started by AJ

Replies: 19
Views: 5152
Last post June 02, 2011, 11:49:28 PM
by krazytech
What's it take to start a appliance repair business?

Started by candy

Replies: 3
Views: 853
Last post December 08, 2011, 01:24:44 PM
by bigbuck
new business

Started by brothermal

Replies: 14
Views: 1650
Last post April 11, 2012, 07:54:05 AM
by rego
Parts to Start a Business With