Author Topic: Can't remove dog clutch or agiatator cover GE whdsr316g0ww  (Read 4315 times)

Offline imzjustplayin

• VIP Member
Can't remove dog clutch or agiatator cover GE whdsr316g0ww
« on: September 09, 2009, 02:53:42 PM »
I'm working on a ge whdsr316g0ww washer and I'm trying to replace the dog clutch but I can't because I can't access the bolts since there is a cover on top that I'm unable to remove. The cover doesn't provide any latch or the sort to remove it and I'm not sure what I should do.

This is the plug that I'm talking about.

Except mine doesn't have handles on it, it has nothing like it's mostly smooth with 4 grooves crossing each other and that's it. There are some holes on the bottom which I think is where the fabric softener exits the agitator and gets into the wash. I've tried to pry it out with a screw driver but it just won't budge. I'm thinking of adding some water on top to soften it up a bit but aside from that, I haven't a clue! Maybe I'll post pictures of the actual cap.

Model whdsr316g0ww

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Can't remove dog clutch or agiatator cover GE whdsr316g0ww
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 02:58:43 PM »
The agitator ain't rebuildable on that model. Is the agitator stripped? if so you needs to yank the whole thang out and replace the drive block part number WH43X10032.
Buy it today at SEARS
FYI: to get to the drive block grab the agitator securely by the neck and yank hell out of it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 03:05:57 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline imzjustplayin

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 04:40:25 PM »

I had discovered this tip earlier but was hesitant since the instructions that came with the washer don't specify what exactly to remove and how to remove it. But after finally following those steps of basically strapping rope (I used those plastic wraps used in delivery of heavy equipment from homedepot), got a steel pipe that went across the washer, had rope on each side strapped to the whole agitator assembly and wrapped around the pipe, then I just yanked on the pipe until the agitator assembly came out. Now my problem is I took out the drive bell and I see that it is NOT stripped.

The problem with my washer was that it has extremely weak agitation while on the wash cycle, but when it came time to spin, it did that just fine. When it agitates, its like it's gently moving the water and that's it.

I have the exact same issue as this guy:http://applianceguru.com/forum2/14134.html and it almost sounds like my issue directly mirrors his. However, how am I suppose to know if this drivebell is worn down or not?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 04:50:48 PM »
Get a new one and you will see, they ain't but $6 How good can they be?
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline imzjustplayin

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 05:51:42 PM »
Get a new one and you will see, they ain't but $6 How good can they be?
Is there a way to test it? I mean when I move the agitator myself with the whole agitator assembly in place, I don't feel any play in it at all. I'm starting to wonder if it's the motor. I just remember when the washer was agitating, I could easily force it back and forth. When the washer was agitating lightly and I'd hear sometimes hear sort of snapping noise like plastic was being broken or stripped or something.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 06:01:41 PM »
I think I have a manual around here somewhere.
GE WASHER MANUAL
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 06:18:06 PM »
Easy agitator removal:
Remove the mounting bolt in the center (if present)
Take off your leather service belt and slip it under the base of the agitator all the way till it is centered under the base. Grab  both ends and yank sharply upward, turning your face away from the agitator, as it will come up rather quickly.

No boards required :)

and you have a bad transmission as well...if the agitator and drive bell are intact.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 07:02:48 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline imzjustplayin

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 01:05:41 PM »
The manual doesn't seem to have a whole lot of troubleshooting ideas or how to know what kind of problem I have. Is there any other kind of manual for this washer?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 01:33:16 PM »
You gonna have to buy another agitator most likely if that drive block dont do it, but that drive block is the number one problem ever on these washers with complaints about not agitating.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline imzjustplayin

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 03:08:46 PM »
I have the washer taken half apart (with the tub and agitator removed), is it possible to read the "motor codes" while the washer is in this state? Does it flash its lights even if it's not operating but plugged in? I just want to see if the motor is going to flash me any codes w/o having to have the thing nearly entirely assembled. One of the reasons I ask is because I don't want to have to deal with that 1 11/16" nut since it is so notorious in being difficult to get on and off. If I can check the codes for the motor now with the basket and agitator out, I'll be in a better position to start the process of removing the transmission and motor. I checked the coil of the transmission already and it's showing on 1X (multimeter) pretty high resistance but nonetheless continuity. Are there other things on the transmission that could fail? Also should the motor know with out a doubt whether or not it has a fault? I've looked at the list of trouble codes for the motor and they're not that numerous.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 04:54:20 PM »
Just keepa diggin.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline imzjustplayin

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »
Hmm, ok well the I tried the washer on "heavy" load and it seemed to agitate just fine, then it went into spin cycle and it too worked out fine. Strange, hopefully this will be the last I have to deal with this washer. I guess I'm going to call this "fixed"......for now anyways.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 08:23:13 PM »
Glad ya got it fixed. You buy the round kimosabe! :D
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Kitchenaid - remove lid

Started by postprime

Replies: 6
Views: 2885
Last post September 17, 2007, 12:19:38 PM
by Pegi
Video: Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer Clutch, Brake Transmission - Gear Case

Started by AJ

Replies: 6
Views: 12135
Last post January 26, 2008, 08:15:30 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
Video: How to remove the cabinet from a whirlpool direct drive washer

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3686
Last post January 09, 2008, 06:21:03 PM
by AJ
Video: How to remove whirlpool washer timer.

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 4039
Last post April 26, 2009, 07:41:04 PM
by ShawnTRD
How to remove the front panel on my Maytag Neptune Washer?

Started by WDW

Replies: 1
Views: 7901
Last post April 15, 2008, 10:17:26 AM
by Repair-man
Have to replace clutch assembly

Started by John B

Replies: 12
Views: 3237
Last post October 09, 2008, 05:20:48 AM
by Repair-man