Forum > Washer Repair

Frigidaire Top-Load washer agitates, drains, but doesn't spin

(1/2) > >>

Karl42:
Hi,

I have a Frigidaire top-load washer FWX6971EW2, and (1) clothes come out wet, (2) it smells like burned rubber. I opened it up and replaced the belt - the old one was badly worn. The machine is level - it should be OK and spin ! It agitates fine, but when it reaches the spin cycle, only the motor spins - the belt doesn't budge.
What do I look at next ?

Thanks,
  - Karl

JWWebster:
Their are 2 springs a short fat one and a long skinny one on the idler.

Karl42:
The idler seems fine as far as I can tell - the belt is under tension.
Maybe I have not understood the principle - it seems that the motor turning one way should agitate the agitator, and turning the other way should spin - is this correct ?
The pulley seems to only be turnable one way, agitating the agitator, even if I stop in the "spin" cycle, put slack in the belt and try to turn the pulley by hand...

BrntToast:
if you can not turn the trans pulley both ways by hand...
1) transmission is defective or siezed in the tub bearing
2) you have a foreign object(screw etc) in one of the holes of the tub stopping the tub from spinning

Karl42:
Thanks ! That was really helpful. I hadn't thought about turning the tub. The tub did turn, which rules out objects in the drain-holes of the tub, at least a little. I sprayed liquid wrench at the gap between the bottom transmission housing and the bearing. The pulley now can be turned by hand in "spin"-direction - with some grinding sound.
A new transmission assembly costs almost as much as a new washer, after the PG&E discount...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version