Author Topic: FixYourBoard.com?  (Read 6661 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
FixYourBoard.com?
« on: September 07, 2009, 10:16:44 AM »
Has anyone ever heard of FixYourBoard.com?

I first seen the site myself last night after clicking on one of our new members profiles and seeing the link included in his profile information.

My first thought was, another spammer.

Then I started doing some checking around online and thought this guy looks like he maybe ok.

After all he has been registered as a member of our site for hours and has yet to spam our boards, lol..

So the next thing I did was send them a email asking a bit about there site, FixYourBoard.com.

I got a nice reply back from Bruce explaining some information about there site. I have invited Bruce to post a reply to this topic so he can let our members know about their site and the service they provide.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline fixyourboard

• Technician
    • Repair control boards for home appliances
Re: FixYourBoard.com?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 01:22:49 PM »
Hello AJ,

Bruce here, at fixyourboard.com.

I appreciate your interest in our website. We have been repairing control boards for techs locally in the Austin area and recently have brought our business to the internet.

What we offer to our customers is a control board repair service that lowers appliance repair costs. More importantly, we can often save the customer from having to replace an expensive oven if the control board has failed after being discontinued by the manufacturer, as an example.

We are very focused on root cause analysis and full functional testing after repair. As a result, we often help diagnose the symptoms to predetermine if the fault is likely due to a control board problem. Also, we try to flag cases where nature of the board failure may indicate additional problems (shorted wax motor in a front loader, for example).

I hope we will be able to add useful content to your forum.

Best Regards,
Bruce
www.fixyourboard.com
www.fixyourboard.com - We repair electronic control boards.

Offline Al Capone

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • ApplianceJunk.com
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 01:32:32 PM »
Hi Bruce,

Welcome to ApplianceJunk.com

That is a very interesting service you provide. It looks like it could be really helpful and we are all about being helpful around here.  O0

RepairClinic.com - Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy!

AppliancePartsPros.com - Over 1 Million Appliance Parts In-Stock. 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 02:22:42 PM »
Welcome to ApplianceJunk.com Bruce,

I like your website and the service you provide. Wish I had the knowledge to repair boards like you do.

With all the electronic boards being used in appliances you should have a very secure job there for a long time. :)

We look forward to hearing from you and our members about your services.

Thanks for taking the time to register and becoming a active member of our community.  O0
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 04:18:17 PM »
Welcome Bruce.
What is your turn-a-round time on a board repair.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline fixyourboard

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 05:54:39 PM »
Thanks for the 'welcomes' folks. jt51 - we try to keep our turn time to 2 days for the majority of jobs, of course it's dependant on our loading and product mix, but 2 days is pretty typical.
Bruce

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 06:19:57 PM »
If I replace a board and I still have my old one do yall buy the old one for like a core price?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline fixyourboard

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 06:48:14 PM »
If I replace a board and I still have my old one do yall buy the old one for like a core price?

Great question. We work with our local repair shop affiliates to build them an inventory of refurbished boards such that they can often go on a call with a board on-board, so to speak. Sometimes this eliminates an extra truck roll, or allows the tech to plug in a known good board on site (if in doubt) without having to consume a brand new unreturnable board just to find out the problem is elsewhere.

Shoot me an email at bruce@fixyourboard.com and we can discuss how we might expand this service outside our local area. I'm reluctant to make any public statements about accepting broken boards in case an 18-wheeler-full shows up, if you know what I mean ....

Best Regards,
Bruce

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 06:40:44 PM »
Bruce How does the diagnostics tell you which part is bad? Cool video yall:
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline fixyourboard

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 11:12:24 PM »
Bruce How does the diagnostics tell you which part is bad? Cool video yall:

Hey JW,
Glad you liked our video ... we get some interesting comments on it.
To answer your question, the diagnostics are a good tool to help us isolate the problem, then, as you know with any repair there may be an underlying problem hidden by the first one. The test program helps us make sure we got everything fixed.
Cheers,
Bruce

Offline RFDFireCaptain

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 12:06:17 PM »
Fortunately for me I HAVE heard of FixYourBoard.com!!!  And you'll be glad you did too.  Here's my story that just occurred Thanksgiving 2009.

It was 2 days before Thanksgiving 2009.  All the family was coming to our house this year.  My wife ran the self-clean mode and the result was a dead oven with error codes and a phone call to a local appliance technician.  The service call was quoted at $65 plus an additional $50 since it was so close to the Thanksgiving (to work us in the schedule, yeah right).  Over the phone I gave the technician the details of my problem and the model # of my oven.  He said he thought it was the main control board and he would try to find me one.  The technician called me back and said the part was "obsolete and unavailable".  The technician recommended I contact GE for more help or just buy a new convection oven... (at around $1,500.00 on the low end).  I found this to be an unbelievable response, but I appreciated his candor.  As a professional firefighter I find that I am quite resourceful, so I set out to find this "obsolete" part on my own.  After all, taking the oven apart and putting it back together would be a piece of cake and I figured I could save the $115 service call.  What I found nearly took my breath.  The technician was right.  The part is obsolete and unavailable, if you're calling the local part houses, but in actuality the part can be found all over the Internet and shipped to your front door for almost 1/4 of the price of a new oven.  I almost fainted!!!

In steps Bruce, at FixYourBoard.com

After I got my breath back I dove into the Internet again looking for more technical information.  Purely by accident I stumbled upon FixYourBoard.com.  I read their website thoroughly.  I was amazed at all the free technical data Bruce posts on his site.  Using that data, I was able test other components of my oven to make sure this problem was not something simple that was being overlooked.  I decided to look around on the Internet as well as locally to see if I could find someone at least a thousand miles closer than Bruce.  After all Turkey Day was just 2 days away and "mama" was in an uproar.  I could not locate another business within my state (North Carolina) or on the Internet that provides this type of repair service.  I think that would make anyone skeptical about whether or not this is a scam.  So, I decided to call the number listed on FixYourBaord.com.  I left a message and Bruce called me back within minutes.  After talking with Bruce I felt a lot less skeptical, so I sent him my control board... (all the way to Texas).   

Shipping was easy.  They have a shipping tab on their main page that has all the information you'll need.  I paid the shipping one way and sent a note telling Bruce to call me for my credit card # when my board was repaired.  A few days later I got the call and I was told my board would be in the mail on the same day.  When it arrived it came with a detailed note stating what components were repaired.  In addition it mentioned that several working components were replaced due to anticipated failure in the future (I presume from the age of my board).  I felt this type of preventative maintenance was well above my expectations.  When I installed my repaired control board I ran it through each cooking mode to see how well and if it would come up to operating temperature.  It worked like a new oven. 

Obviously if I am taking the time to write all this I want everyone to know Bruce has got the market cornered and he charges a fair price.  It cost me $15 to ship my board plus Bruce's fee of $160 (the 160 includes return shipping).  So, I have a total of $175 in this repair.  The cost quoted for my service call was $115 plus the cost of the part (including S/H) was $475.  That would have been $590.  So, I saved $415 using Bruce's repair service. 

The bottom line.... sure, I was skeptical.  Especially since I could not find this service anywhere other than on Bruce's website.  But, if you're willing to trust my testimonial you'll find that FixYourBaord.com is technically savvy, quick to turn around a repair, honest and fair in their pricing and very friendly whenever you call.  This is a repair that required 1 Phillips screwdriver, a few photos of the wiring configuration and less than 10 minutes each way to remove and install. 

Thanks Bruce!  I can't help but sing your praises.  I have 5 kids ages 6 - 15 and you just saved my wife and me a lot of money for Christmas presents.  If you ever want to open a business on the east coast (Raleigh, NC) let me know.  I only work 10 days per month at the fire station and I'll be retired in 5 years at age 48.  For my second career, I would love to offer this type of money saving service to others like myself  :)  God bless you and your family and Merry Christmas!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 12:33:28 PM »
Great testimonial. I included Bruce on my own website many moon's ago.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 01:01:52 PM »
That's a great story. Glad it work out for you.  O0

I have 5 kids ages 6 - 15

I only work 10 days per month at the fire station and I'll be retired in 5 years at age 48. 

Wow, hows that work?
I have one kid and may never retire, lol..

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 05:31:01 PM »
I wonder what Bruce charges to check a questionable oven control?
Lets say we ain't sure. And we send it out to Bruce and the board checks good is it the same or a hair cheaper to verify a questionable board?
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 06:19:41 PM »
Probably depends on which half is bad. Power in....or power out.
Take a Kid fishing.

FixYourBoard.com Review

Started by AJ

Replies: 4
Views: 5153
Last post January 23, 2010, 06:24:08 PM
by jumptrout51