Author Topic: Slipping Washer  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Gibrango

• VIP Member
Slipping Washer
« on: February 03, 2008, 02:13:55 PM »
My washer has for several years now had issues when entering the drain cycle.   I have searched this and other forums and am posting here because I couldn't see my exact symptoms listed and this forum seemed to be the most helpful in responses.  As my washer is entering the drain cycle, the water drains, but the basket doesn't spin.  The motor is running, but not spinning freely.  It just sounds like a motor trying to drive a stubborn belt (even though as I understand it there isn't a belt on my model).  As soon as I lif the Lid, ther'e a *Pop* noise.  I set the lid back down and the basket spins away as if nothing ever was wrong.

Also, When I am too lazy to head back to the laundry room, I notice that when the basket slows down from the drain to transition to the high-spin, it'll pop by itself and get into the final spin OK.    I was hoping it would be a simple coupler issue, but agitation is great, and all the videos I saw listed did not address my particular set of conditions.  Any Ideas would greatly appreciated.

Model Number: GSW9650LW0 icon

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Slipping Washer
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 10:47:57 AM »
the latest model whirlpool direct drive has a pawl in it that allows the water to drain first. This puts less strain on the motor. It is mechanical not electrical. When you open the lid the tranny locks up,the pump stops,and the pawl switchs position. The tub will now spin. The only thing you do is make the washer work harder than it needs to when opening the lid. The timer has a built in stopping point to do that after it has let it pump for about 5 minutes.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 10:51:03 AM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Gibrango

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 03:04:01 PM »
Thanks for the reply, JW-

My washer is about 4 years old - do I have the latest generation direct-drive?

If so, and I am reading this correctly, there's nothing wrong and I ought to leave it the heck alone... right?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 04:03:14 PM »
you have the type washer I have been describing to you.
The water pumps out first then the washer stops changes gear and starts a spinning.The original machines would pump and spin simultaniously. The newer ones like you have will pump out first,then stop a minute or 2 and then take off!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 04:05:06 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 07:17:13 AM »
Hi,

If the washer will go into spin on it's own during every cycle then there is nothing to worry about.

whirlpool washer high agitate noise and slipping

Started by sadman

Replies: 1
Views: 1495
Last post October 23, 2008, 09:12:23 PM
by JWWebster
whirlpool top load washer agitator slipping

Started by tcape

Replies: 3
Views: 4586
Last post January 02, 2010, 10:15:46 AM
by tcape
Maytag Neptune washer MAH4000AWW

Started by Sue

Replies: 8
Views: 8516
Last post February 09, 2013, 07:41:01 AM
by def
Frigidaire Front Load washer making noise.

Started by curtis

Replies: 3
Views: 7645
Last post July 05, 2007, 09:25:04 PM
by AJ
Repair Guide: Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer - No agitate or spin

Started by AJ

Replies: 13
Views: 28373
Last post January 02, 2009, 01:09:38 PM
by AJ
Noisey Washer