Author Topic: vgic3054bss Viking Range - only 3 months old  (Read 16109 times)

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Viking Range - only 3 months old
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 06:02:46 AM »
There are 2 types of spark systems...

One kind sparks all four burners at the same time and is controlled by the spark switch on the burner valve itself. On this type, once the burner is lit you move the dial to the cooking position yourself. If one of the switches on the burners gets wet or sticks closed, it will spark continuously. This type of module will spark all four burnes at once, regardless of which knob is turned.
On the higher-end units, the module is much more sophisticated, looking for each spark to find a pathway to ground rather than manually turning it off via the knob setting.  On this type of module (which yours has) each burner sparks independently and only the burner selected will spark, and then only until the module has sensed a flame. For yours to be behaving irregularly after so short a time could mean that you have a poor grounding system on the stove. Be sure you do not have this stove connected to a GFCI circuit, or the module will not behave correctly.

I suggest carrying a module with you in case it is not a grounding issue, since you are concerned about the distance, money, etc. In any case, it would be a good part to have for a spare as a precaution. Since most techs worth their salt already carry these on their trucks, field replacement becomes an easy choice for us.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 06:07:14 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline chilicasa@hotmai

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 09:46:08 AM »
There are 2 types of spark systems...

One kind sparks all four burners at the same time and is controlled by the spark switch on the burner valve itself. On this type, once the burner is lit you move the dial to the cooking position yourself. If one of the switches on the burners gets wet or sticks closed, it will spark continuously. This type of module will spark all four burnes at once, regardless of which knob is turned.
On the higher-end units, the module is much more sophisticated, looking for each spark to find a pathway to ground rather than manually turning it off via the knob setting.  On this type of module (which yours has) each burner sparks independently and only the burner selected will spark, and then only until the module has sensed a flame. For yours to be behaving irregularly after so short a time could mean that you have a poor grounding system on the stove. Be sure you do not have this stove connected to a GFCI circuit, or the module will not behave correctly.

I suggest carrying a module with you in case it is not a grounding issue, since you are concerned about the distance, money, etc. In any case, it would be a good part to have for a spare as a precaution. Since most techs worth their salt already carry these on their trucks, field replacement becomes an easy choice for us.
Thank you for such a detailed explanation! I appreciate that. One last question... is there 1 module or 4. I will now try to find a parts manual. Thanks again for taking the time for explaining.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 10:56:49 AM »
There is ONE module and FOUR sepatate burner switches that feed it. It does not sound like a switch issue. I am adamant about the grounding issues as well. Several techs have replaced modules only to have them fail or work erratically later. It is at that point that they begin to suspect the house wiring and do a definitive check of the power circuit. Just trying to make sure you cross all your t's and dot your i's before you buy a module.

Offline chilicasa@hotmai

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 11:39:10 AM »
There is ONE module and FOUR sepatate burner switches that feed it. It does not sound like a switch issue. I am adamant about the grounding issues as well. Several techs have replaced modules only to have them fail or work erratically later. It is at that point that they begin to suspect the house wiring and do a definitive check of the power circuit. Just trying to make sure you cross all your t's and dot your i's before you buy a module.
Thanks
I will look at purchasing a module and if that doesnt work I will then call in an electrician that built our house. Its new - a few years old - but I know that doesnt mean anything. If it is poorly grounded... would it have done this right from the start? Thanks

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 12:55:49 PM »
...If it is poorly grounded... would it have done this right from the start?
not necessarily ...
did you check the ground & polarity ?
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline chilicasa@hotmai

• VIP Member
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
...If it is poorly grounded... would it have done this right from the start?
not necessarily ...
did you check the ground & polarity ?
Ill probably have to bring in an electrician for that
sometimes I wish I didnt live on a mountain

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 02:13:24 PM »
Well, for what it's worth, I live on a mountain far from town also but it does not prevent me from doing some simple checks. You can find a very inexpensive device called a polarity checker (see below) at most any decent hardware store to do your own outlet tests. If the outlet shows to be OK, then it was a part gone bad on the range, simple as that. Don't make this any harder on yourself than necessary, and if the stove is less than a year old, then the whole trip, parts and all have to be covered by warranty. As long as it is properly installed (and grounded) then Viking should cover everything the first year.
Viking Toll Free
1-888-VIKING1
(1-888-845-4641)

« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 02:16:51 PM by Repair-man »

Offline chilicasa@hotmai

• VIP Member
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 10:24:59 PM »
Well, for what it's worth, I live on a mountain far from town also but it does not prevent me from doing some simple checks. You can find a very inexpensive device called a polarity checker (see below) at most any decent hardware store to do your own outlet tests. If the outlet shows to be OK, then it was a part gone bad on the range, simple as that. Don't make this any harder on yourself than necessary, and if the stove is less than a year old, then the whole trip, parts and all have to be covered by warranty. As long as it is properly installed (and grounded) then Viking should cover everything the first year.
Viking Toll Free
1-888-VIKING1
(1-888-845-4641)

So now Im an electrician
I purchased the GB tester and the receptacle (both plugs) showed correct - two yellow lights. I spoke with a guy in town and he says the ignitors on a viking always click when lighting a burner. Another guy says... no they dont. A new module is $400canadian so I want to make sure thats the next step.
As far as warranty, I purchased the stove before I moved in... so the granite guys could make a perfect fit. Its over a year and a half old but used only 3 months.
Today this is what its doing
Left Back... turn the dial - it sparks and lights
Left Front... turn the dial - it sparks and lights but also makes the Left Back sparks cont..
Right Back... turn the dial - no spark - no light - but Left Back sparks continuously
Right Front... turn the dial - no spark - no light - but Left Back sparks continuously
Module time?

Offline chilicasa@hotmai

• VIP Member
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 10:57:52 PM »
Repair-Man
Not sure your on facebook but if you are heres a link to view
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=130256311542&saved#/home.php?ref=home
I think it will only work if you are a member and already signed in.
I am going to research another link
Thanks

Offline chilicasa@hotmai

• VIP Member
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 01:29:41 AM »
Repair-Man
Not sure your on facebook but if you are heres a link to view
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=130256311542&saved#/home.php?ref=home
I think it will only work if you are a member and already signed in.
I am going to research another link
Thanks
I also tried posting it here... hope it works
http://www.videoshare.com/view_video.php?viewkey=cf426067cfd2246bb5ff

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2009, 03:03:26 AM »
The video links don't work .... Try YouTube

Only one Burner should Spark for each Burner Control.

Separate inputs on Spark Module = separate Spark Output for specified Burner.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 03:34:22 AM by RegUS_PatOff »
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2009, 05:44:39 AM »
Thanks Reg for helping try to clear this up some...I didn't have any Viking diagrams, (however that is going to change in February). This guy has taken up 2 pages on the forum evading the advice given by us so far and apparently still listens to stuff he hears from town folk about ranges. In fact, I feel somewhat jaded at this point since the whole title of the post started out- "Viking Range- only 3 months old"

Now, after stating more than once that I think he needs a new module, the situation has changed apparently. My feeling is that if the "granite guys" made it up there all right, so can the techician who comes to fix the $4500 stove.

Quote from: chilicasa
As far as warranty, I purchased the stove before I moved in... so the granite guys could make a perfect fit. Its over a year and a half old but used only 3 months.

Yes, Chili by now you are a junior-grade electrcian, so use your new-found information to fix your stove problem and get on with life. My Facebook status is none of your concern.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 05:56:33 AM by Repair-man »

Offline chilicasa@hotmai

• VIP Member
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2009, 10:57:15 AM »
Thanks Reg for helping try to clear this up some...I didn't have any Viking diagrams, (however that is going to change in February). This guy has taken up 2 pages on the forum evading the advice given by us so far and apparently still listens to stuff he hears from town folk about ranges. In fact, I feel somewhat jaded at this point since the whole title of the post started out- "Viking Range- only 3 months old"

Now, after stating more than once that I think he needs a new module, the situation has changed apparently. My feeling is that if the "granite guys" made it up there all right, so can the techician who comes to fix the $4500 stove.

Quote from: chilicasa

Yes, Chili by now you are a junior-grade electrcian, so use your new-found information to fix your stove problem and get on with life. My Facebook status is none of your concern.
WOW- Sorry!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2009, 11:28:44 AM »
Jimbo do you want some viking manuals? Email me
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2009, 12:36:23 PM »
Hi chilicasa,

If you would like you can email me the video and I will upload it to our server or our youtube channel and then post it here for everyone else to view.

Thank you for posting your questions.
Follow us on Google+ to see updates from our Google Drive and more!

Viking Dual Fuel Range

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 1497
Last post April 04, 2008, 05:00:21 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Dual Fuel 30 inch Range from Viking

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 1
Views: 2794
Last post July 16, 2008, 08:32:43 PM
by JWWebster