Author Topic: vgic3054bss Viking Range - only 3 months old  (Read 18664 times)

Offline chilicasa@hotmai

• VIP Member
Re: Viking Range - only 3 months old
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 02:35:11 PM »
Only tries to ignite ALL burners when you use the front left
hmm...

Now it becomes apparent this is a module issue. Also, check to see that the ceramic insulator on the left burner electrode is not hairline-cracked.
I will and report back

Offline chilicasa@hotmai

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 02:54:54 PM »
SO... TODAY
I will report this in deatail
Left Back... turn the dial - it sparks and lights
Left Front... turn the dial - it sparks and lights but also makes the Left Back sparks cont..
Right Back... turn the dial - no spark - no light - but Left Back sparks continuously
Right Front... turn the dial - no spark - no light - but Left Back sparks continuously
hmmmm........

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 04:50:43 PM »
Go buy yourself a spark module so you'll quit hm-m-ming :)
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline chilicasa@hotmai

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 07:17:16 PM »
Go buy yourself a spark module so you'll quit hm-m-ming :)
so ya think thats what it is?
I will look into purchasing a module.
Is there just 1 for the stove or does each burner have one?
Is there any other test or info you all require to make the call?

Offline chilicasa@hotmai

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 07:32:24 PM »
Is it normal that the ignitors keep clicking when the burners are lit?
OR
should they shut off when they are lit?
ALSO
is it normal that when you turn on one burner that they all start the ignitors?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 06:02:46 AM »
There are 2 types of spark systems...

One kind sparks all four burners at the same time and is controlled by the spark switch on the burner valve itself. On this type, once the burner is lit you move the dial to the cooking position yourself. If one of the switches on the burners gets wet or sticks closed, it will spark continuously. This type of module will spark all four burnes at once, regardless of which knob is turned.
On the higher-end units, the module is much more sophisticated, looking for each spark to find a pathway to ground rather than manually turning it off via the knob setting.  On this type of module (which yours has) each burner sparks independently and only the burner selected will spark, and then only until the module has sensed a flame. For yours to be behaving irregularly after so short a time could mean that you have a poor grounding system on the stove. Be sure you do not have this stove connected to a GFCI circuit, or the module will not behave correctly.

I suggest carrying a module with you in case it is not a grounding issue, since you are concerned about the distance, money, etc. In any case, it would be a good part to have for a spare as a precaution. Since most techs worth their salt already carry these on their trucks, field replacement becomes an easy choice for us.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 06:07:14 AM by Repair-man »

Offline chilicasa@hotmai

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 09:46:08 AM »
There are 2 types of spark systems...

One kind sparks all four burners at the same time and is controlled by the spark switch on the burner valve itself. On this type, once the burner is lit you move the dial to the cooking position yourself. If one of the switches on the burners gets wet or sticks closed, it will spark continuously. This type of module will spark all four burnes at once, regardless of which knob is turned.
On the higher-end units, the module is much more sophisticated, looking for each spark to find a pathway to ground rather than manually turning it off via the knob setting.  On this type of module (which yours has) each burner sparks independently and only the burner selected will spark, and then only until the module has sensed a flame. For yours to be behaving irregularly after so short a time could mean that you have a poor grounding system on the stove. Be sure you do not have this stove connected to a GFCI circuit, or the module will not behave correctly.

I suggest carrying a module with you in case it is not a grounding issue, since you are concerned about the distance, money, etc. In any case, it would be a good part to have for a spare as a precaution. Since most techs worth their salt already carry these on their trucks, field replacement becomes an easy choice for us.
Thank you for such a detailed explanation! I appreciate that. One last question... is there 1 module or 4. I will now try to find a parts manual. Thanks again for taking the time for explaining.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 10:56:49 AM »
There is ONE module and FOUR sepatate burner switches that feed it. It does not sound like a switch issue. I am adamant about the grounding issues as well. Several techs have replaced modules only to have them fail or work erratically later. It is at that point that they begin to suspect the house wiring and do a definitive check of the power circuit. Just trying to make sure you cross all your t's and dot your i's before you buy a module.

Offline chilicasa@hotmai

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 11:39:10 AM »
There is ONE module and FOUR sepatate burner switches that feed it. It does not sound like a switch issue. I am adamant about the grounding issues as well. Several techs have replaced modules only to have them fail or work erratically later. It is at that point that they begin to suspect the house wiring and do a definitive check of the power circuit. Just trying to make sure you cross all your t's and dot your i's before you buy a module.
Thanks
I will look at purchasing a module and if that doesnt work I will then call in an electrician that built our house. Its new - a few years old - but I know that doesnt mean anything. If it is poorly grounded... would it have done this right from the start? Thanks

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 12:55:49 PM »
...If it is poorly grounded... would it have done this right from the start?
not necessarily ...
did you check the ground & polarity ?
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Viking Dual Fuel Range

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 2350
Last post April 04, 2008, 05:00:21 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Dual Fuel 30 inch Range from Viking

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 1