Author Topic: Sears Kenmore 80 Washer  (Read 4024 times)

Offline ajolly

• VIP Member
Sears Kenmore 80 Washer
« on: September 04, 2009, 10:33:58 PM »
Ok, before I knew this awesome site existed, I went to work replacing the motor coupling at the front of the washer (which I now know that's where it is).  I began removing three large bolts and the (now I know) transmission AND motor came down to the floor.  Now, when I try to put the motor and transmission back in place, it acts as though there is something in the way where the shaft goes up into the washtub.  I sure hope this makes sense to someone!  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Model 110.20802990

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Sears Kenmore 80 Washer
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 10:45:56 PM »
This photo shows the brake release sitting in the correct position on the clutch. The brake cam release mounts under the washer to the brakes. As the clutch takes off it slowly releases the brake, if someone opens the lid the motor will quit and the brake will lock up the tub to keep people from being harmed. Yes people will try to actually grab a piece of clothing while the thang is a going wide open. Limbs have been lost. Thank you Ralph Nader.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 10:52:25 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline ajolly

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 11:06:41 PM »
Could it possibly be anything else??  I have looked every time I've tried to raise the transmission up and made sure that was in the correct position.  Does the tub have to be perfectly straight or something else?  Thank you sooo much for your quick reply.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 11:16:40 PM »
You have removed the bolt to the agitator?
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 11:19:22 PM »
It is a little tricky but basically if you can prevent the brake cam actuator from getting binded up on that clutch spring all will be fine.Just get clear of that spring and the tranny will slip in place. You ain't holding yer mouth right LOL
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline PARTech

• Technician
    • Panhandle Appliance LLC
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 11:23:17 PM »
If it is the last 1/2 inch, the posts the bolts thread into are tapered on the end to slide into the tranny housing, if it gets that close...  If not, shine a light down the tube and make sure nothing got wedged there and take JW's advice. :)
Serving North Idaho

Offline ajolly

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 12:56:52 AM »
You guys are great, thank you.  What I have noticed is there is also a piece of bushing-like material above the collar.  Not sure if it should be on the small (bottom) part or the large (top) part.  I failed to mention that the agitator is off also, as I was fixing the top agitator. I think I'll call it a night and practice holding my mouth right.  I've fixed the door switch and level switch tube on this thing in the past, but I really messed up this time.  Thank you for your patience.

Offline ajolly

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 11:20:47 AM »
<SIGH>  It still lacks 1/2  inch before I can start the bolts.  I've moved the clutch and brake pieces every which way, been easy and hard with it.  It still feels like there's a hard piece of something up in the shaft that's in the way.  I'm at a loss!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 12:52:57 PM »
get mean with it
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Sears Kenmore HD80 Series Washer Skipping Rinse Cycle

Started by rljulian

Replies: 2
Views: 3954
Last post January 14, 2009, 08:07:55 AM
by Mr. Fix-It
Sears Kenmore Washer 80 series not draining but agitates and spins OK

Started by mem1966

Replies: 4
Views: 6245
Last post February 06, 2009, 04:20:43 PM