Author Topic: Don't assume  (Read 1776 times)

Online RAH52

• Technician
Don't assume
« on: September 02, 2009, 09:15:03 PM »
Went out on a performa washer today that had a melted motor pulley and burned belt. The customer fessed up to overloading the machine . I have changed many pulleys on these machines over the past few years so I like a dummy quoted on the price of the pulley plus labour but told my customer I would have to order the part . Guess what ,whirlpool in their infinite wisdom no longer offers just the motor pulley...you have to buy the complete motor ! I had to go back to my customer with egg on my face and tell him the facts . Moral of the story ..don't quote before you check ...the appliance companies and their suppliers are doing some crazy things lately and not for the consumers benefit .

Model PAVT144AWW

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Don't assume
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 09:59:29 PM »
On top of that the problem is a locked pump. That is what burns the motor pulley off.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 10:02:27 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Online RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 10:26:57 PM »
In this case the pump was fine . The problem was way too many clothes crammed in the wash basket

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 06:20:08 AM »
On top of that the problem is a locked pump. That is what burns the motor pulley off.

There you go...a good example of ASSuming :)
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Online RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 08:40:28 PM »
LOL   

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 09:26:34 PM »
I can't even guess on how much parts are any more. I always give an estimate later after I have looked it up and confirmed avail. as well. I have seen parts almost double in 2 weeks, most were Maytag parts being replaced by a new Whirlpool number. Same part new number so different price.

Online RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 05:06:37 AM »
I have seen that also ...seems with every parts order the cost needs to be changed in my computer . I can't absorb the price increase so I have to pass it on . Its a vicious circle . I often thought if I had time on my hands I would look up every part on an appliance add the selling prices up and see what the total would be . I bet a $1000 fridge would be well into the upper $2000 range  . The other day I changed a fresh food door on a cheapie fridge ( under warranty ) and the cost of the part was as much as the price of the complete fridge .