Author Topic: GE washer stuck in spin cycle on "regular", OK in perm press..?  (Read 3913 times)

Offline Black88GTA

• VIP Member
Hello all, new to the forum, and have an issue with a GE washer / dryer stacked combo unit.

Some backstory: A couple months ago, my roommate was washing some stuff in the washing machine, and we noticed that it seemed to be stuck on the spin cycle. Shortly after that, it started throwing sparks and smoking. So we unplugged it, and it sat. The landlord refused to fix it.

So, I dismantled it, and noticed the problem immediately. The washer timer had a coating of slimy liquid detergent on it from a spill which had gotten inside the machine a while back. I assumed this shorted it out, as the connection point for the wiring harness, and the harness plug itself, were both crispy and melted. I found new parts online, and ordered them - a new harness, and a used washer timer (model 131758600B).

The parts came today, and I installed them. I ran a test cycle with nothing in the machine to test it. Everything seems ok, until it gets to the spin cycle phase of the "regular" setting, and then it just keeps spinning. Just to be sure (and not knowing exactly how long spin cycle was supposed to take) I let it spin for 20 minutes before I shut it down. The weird thing is, I tried the same thing on "permanent press" and it shut the spin cycle down after ~5 minutes on its own with no problems.

Is there anything else that controls cycle timing / shutdown? Some sort of sensor inside that can go bad? Or did I get a bunk used part?

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. I thought the timer was the only thing controlling the cycle time, and I replaced that. I'm stumped.

Oh, and these are probably subjects for new threads, but there are also a couple of other issues with this machine - the machine is off-balance when spinning up / slowing down (but relatively well-behaved when running) and makes a loud intermittent rumbling noise when slowing down from the spin cycle.  Both of these occur when the machine is run with nothing in it.  Although, I don't think this is related to the sticking spin cycle thing.

So does anyone know what can cause the stuck spin cycle on "regular" but not "perm press"?

Model WSM2700DAWWW

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: GE washer stuck in spin cycle on "regular", OK in perm press..?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 05:43:46 AM »
Ordinarily, I would recommend that you replace the timer, which is obviously defective. However, since you described the other issues, especially the spin noise, it becomes apparent that this machine will need a lot more work than it is actually worth. I'm not going to lecture you on buying used parts, it's always been a bad idea, but there comes a time to use  common sense when  pouring money into a thing which will likely break again soon anyway. Notice how we usually find a simple solution for most problems? (well, this is not one of them.)

Take some advice and pass this machine along to the scrap yard where it really belongs.

If any of the other techs would care to chime in, please do....

Gearcase for this machine-

Timer-new
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 06:05:49 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline Black88GTA

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 08:16:53 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I know it will need some other work, but I was hoping that the spin-down thing and the balance issues were things that could be fixed relatively simply.  I am fairly mechanically inclined, but haven't had much opportunity to work on appliances, so this is somewhat unfamiliar territory to me.

Were this my machine, I would have replaced it a long time ago, as I hate it even when it is running great.  IMO, it is cheap, fragile, and has numerous design flaws.  However, it is what came with the house, and I am (understandably, I'd hope) extremely reluctant to drop $500+ on new appliances to be used in a rented house that I cannot take with me when I leave here.  So, I am attempting to keep this thing limping along for the time being.

All that being said, is it just a coincidence that the used timer stalls in the same place that the old one did? I was thinking that there possibly might be something in the machine that is not being triggered (or sending the proper signal) to shut down spin cycle on this setting - but, like I said, this type of thing is new to me. 

If it is undoubtedly the timer as you say, I can try to contact the place I got the timer from and see if I can get a refund on it, then seek out a new part.  Is it unrealistic to expect this machine to keep operating for at least a little while, even with the spin down and balance issues?  Any quick things I can look at in an attempt to fix these problems?

Offline Black88GTA

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 08:18:05 AM »
Oh, and the timer unit I replaced looks identical to the second picture you posted above...forgot to mention that in my other post.

Offline Washaman

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 10:54:45 AM »
If the landlord refuses to fix it, tell him to come get it out of your way so you can purchase a good used set for a couple hundred, and if your landlord won't pay for the new set, make him sign something if needed saying your taking them when you go. Try you local Craigslist for a good bargain, but beware of the scams.

Offline Black88GTA

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 11:42:20 AM »
If the landlord refuses to fix it, tell him to come get it out of your way so you can purchase a good used set for a couple hundred, and if your landlord won't pay for the new set, make him sign something if needed saying your taking them when you go. Try you local Craigslist for a good bargain, but beware of the scams.

I've been looking around online, but the problem is (due to space constraints) it has to be a stackable unit.  It is kind of difficult to find these locally used, and when I do find them, they are pricey.  Going used is difficult regardless, since I drive a sports car and have no means of transporting something of this size to my house.  I don't want to take them with me if / when I move for this same reason, as I think I will be moving to a different state when I do finally get out of here.

For many reasons, I'd like to patch / bandage this thing up as much as I can, rather than replace it at this point.

Offline Black88GTA

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
I was able to get a full refund on the purchase price of the used timer I got, so that worked out at least.  8)  Lesson learned, no more used parts - although it did have a 90 day warranty on it.  The place I got it from was very apologetic, helpful and cooperative about it, and refunded me instantly with no hassle.  I had a Paypal refund within 20 minutes of sending them an email!

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 01:17:10 PM »
Glad to hear it worked out for you. So many times we hear of folks getting gypped from buying used parts that it is refreshing to see someonecome out ahead. And yes, let the spin thing go until the tranny gives out, then you can invest in a new one.

Offline Black88GTA

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 11:50:07 AM »
I think I will either go with this used timer (and just not use the regular cycle) or find a new part online and replace it, and then run it till it dies. I might give it a trial run first to see how it behaves.

I understand that the gearcase is probably on the way out, but is there any way to fix the balance issue? What typically causes this?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 12:24:22 PM »
On this model, the tranny and tub sit on a snubber ring, which normally provides enough friction to stabilize the tub. When the ring wears down, the vibrating starts. The part number for this ring is WH1X2312.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:25:53 PM by Repair-man »

Offline Black88GTA

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 01:29:04 PM »
Thanks for the explanation and part number, I was able to find an interchange part online for $20.

Is it a really labor intensive job to replace this ring?  Is it replaced from the bottom, or do parts need to come out through the side panel?  I'd order it and take a stab at replacing it, but not if it's going to require me to dismantle the entire thing in my kitchen...

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 02:43:14 PM »
Actually the repair is done from the front without removing the machine from its location at all. There are some springs holding the tub down there which must be popped off so you can jimmy the tranny up a few inches to slip the old snubber out and slide the new one in. All in all it's a simple procedure. Sorry there are no manuals for this machine here.
You'll find some screws along the bottom of the front panel to remove it.

washer shaking during the spin cycle and "Walking" during spin cycles also

Started by dnunley

Replies: 6
Views: 2783
Last post February 09, 2011, 06:43:50 AM
by jumptrout51
Kitchenaid Washer Agitator Stuck during the Spin Cycle

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 1
Views: 2762
Last post July 03, 2008, 10:30:35 AM
by JWWebster
Washer gets stuck in a prepetual spin cycle and door stays locked

Started by jmaloney82

Replies: 5
Views: 2512
Last post December 17, 2008, 09:50:38 AM
by Repair-man
GE frontload washer says "door locked" and won't cycle.

Started by hhrussell

Replies: 1
Views: 4115
Last post April 27, 2009, 04:30:36 AM
by Repair-man
Maytag washer transmission pulley locks up and won"t spin

Started by mattlwoo

Replies: 6
Views: 6899
Last post September 10, 2009, 02:38:06 PM
by mattlwoo
GE Commercial Coin-Op Washer "No high speed final spin"