Author Topic: Man dies after firefighters won't cross street to help, daughter says  (Read 377 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
Another one of them stories I just don't get...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/30/us/firefighters-dying-man/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

When I read this part ...

There are no protocols that would prevent fire personnel from helping those in need

it reminded me of this topic.

Firefighters let home burn over $75 fee -- again

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
Re: Man dies after firefighters won't cross street to help, daughter says
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 07:11:26 PM »
I was in San Diego when they had lots of wild fires.  The firefighters were letting whole towns burn to the ground, yet people couldn't stop calling them heroes.  I offered a different word - incompetent - but they just yelled at me.

I've known of firefighters who had simultaneous jobs as private general contractors.  They get their 40 hours by standing duty for 2 24 hour periods (w/ 4 hours overtime) and then work their own business in their 5 day weekends.

Not to mention that they regularly make over 100k a year (including or before benefits, I don't know).

I guess, over all, I'm not too impressed with firemen.  Come to think of it, I'm not too impressed with police, mailmen, public school teachers & administrators, or politicians, either. 

On the other hand, pizza delivery persons perform a valuable service, and it is one of the top ten most dangerous.  I generally give them more money than the cost of the pizza. 

Pizza guy, this bud is for you.   :cheers:

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 07:13:33 PM »
If you can write THANK A TEACHER.

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 08:20:40 AM »
If you can't, you might have gone to public school...

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 08:36:26 AM »
My Grandmother was a teacher and was my Hero. She spent a lot of her money getting supplies for kids and even feeding them when they had no lunch and such. Never got a pension, and I have been blessed with good teachers and my kids as well. My son scored higher in test than 98% of students attending private and public schools. Private just cost more. If they were paid what they are worth and didn't have to deal with things like "No child left behind" it would be much better. How is it we keep raising the cost of military but keep cutting schools? Who will run this country after we are gone? Only the select few who are wealthy enough to go to school? How about us? Are we stupid? I was supposed to be a teacher, Didn't have the patience. I have trained 5 Techs for appliance repair. My Wife is a Special needs school bus driver and Loves her job. Poor pay but helping the kids every day is great and a special bond is there.

Toddler dies, all over a washer, dryer and $20!

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 1303
Last post September 11, 2009, 01:20:37 PM
by AJ