Author Topic: starting my new carrer next week.  (Read 9388 times)

Offline chic

• VIP Member
starting my new carrer next week.
« on: January 31, 2008, 03:49:08 PM »
Hi all,Iam new to this forum.I was recently laid off after 14 years,I was a power tool technician.well after 5 months of unemployment i landed a job with Sears and A&E services ,one day i will be able to call myself an "appliance technician"until then i have a lot to learn.well i think this is a great forum to be able to learn from so i will be doing a lot of reading,and one day i just might be able to contribute.If anyone has a ? about power tools i sure will help you.

"The best cordless tool is a fishing pole"

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: starting my new carrer next week.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 06:10:55 PM »
Hi chic  :tiphat:

Glad you joined our community.

Sorry to hear about you being laid off after 14 years. That had to be hard.
It's good news though that you are about to start a new career as a appliance technician.

one day i just might be able to contribute.

One day soon too, as everyday you will learn something that could help someone else. :)

If you have any question please post them in the forums. We have a great group of technicians here that can help you out.

Good luck with the new job and be sure to keep us posted on how it goes.

:cheers:

Hope you find our website helpful.

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 06:32:16 PM »
Hi Chic,

Good luck with A&E.  I worked for them for a few years and even though you are a Sears employee, it is much better than being a Sears tech.  Just my opinion.  Like AJ said, visit often because it gives you a good feel for what is going on out in the real world, and if you are not getting answers to your questions from your mentor, ask them here.  We will be glad to help.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 06:44:45 PM »
Welcome.. :)

It's good to hear from someone starting out as a new tech.

I know back when I started as a tech I had to learn everything the hard way and there was not internet, lol...

Good luck and be sure to let us know if we can help.

Offline apptech

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 06:57:17 PM »
Good luck buddy, your going to need it...

Just kidding.. :2funny:

It's always nice to have a little luck every now and then. :)

Best of luck to you and like everyone else said let us know if we can help.  :tiphat:

Offline chic

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 09:40:20 AM »
Thanks for all the replies and support!I know i will be asking alot of questions to help me along.

chic

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 04:15:11 PM »
Chic ,for years I worked at Loop appliance. It was my job to unload trucks and make deliverys's. We were a whirlpool dealership and we sold
tv's too. I nearly killed myself toting appliances before I got smart and decided to learn how to fix them. I had a very good teacher named Mr Fred. Mr Fred started working for alabama power company in the 40's. He was a very knowledgable person and he owned an Appliance parts store. I used to leave work and head over to his shop and we would work till late every night. Thanks to him I got my freon card. I learned how to fix HVAC and Kitchen equipment. People were forver bringing stuff over for us to fix. He helped me and I am forever thankful. If I can help you just let me know. Older equipment I can fix but this newer stuff with electronics I am not as keen on. Good luck on starting your new appliance Career, if you hang in there you will be an appliance Pro in no time.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 07:34:57 AM »
How you like the new job?
Hope you find our website helpful.

Offline chic

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 07:41:42 AM »
I like it alot. I am rideing with a very expeiranced tech.I think i will be ok with finding out what the problem is with customers machines.But for right now the hardest part is learning the computer or the sst as they call it and all the procedures i have to follow for A&E,as my partner has said we are more than just technitions.Evey day i am on here and another site lerking around and reading all the post,so when iam out there something that i have read will pop in my head and help me out. the other thing is when ia am on my own we are told we only have about 20 min. for each house thats the part that gets me nervous,but dave tells me just do your best and then move on.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 03:00:26 PM »
A lot of people take it for granted the fact that you and I post in a forum like this as a given. But this is very hard to do. Finding a part and posting it to a link and including it in my explaination which I must somehow put into simple terms so that the askers can get the gest of what I am trying to explain. This is quite hard to do,especially using inferiour equipment like this old windows ME of mine that couldn't download a space invaders game from 1978. It is not only knowing about the subject but being able to ID each symptom and each part by each make and model of machine.Keeping the PC working properly,wading deeply into the sea of information to extract the exact problem solving part to save the day for the common consumer who might want to save a buck, is what I live for. One day you will be that good.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Posting Basics - Starting a New Topic

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 152839
Last post January 24, 2008, 02:47:59 PM
by AJ
starting a Appliance repair buisness

Started by johnnyelectric

Replies: 1
Views: 3705
Last post July 10, 2008, 07:14:14 AM
by Repair-man
What's Whirlpool Stocking going to do this week?

Started by whirlpooltech

Replies: 3
Views: 1715
Last post February 22, 2009, 09:09:18 PM
by AJ
F&P Appliances Goes to 35-Hour Week to Save Jobs

Started by AJ

Replies: 15
Views: 3674
Last post February 24, 2013, 01:28:02 PM
by andersenappliance
This week at school