Author Topic: Maytag Bravos Dryer with Steam  (Read 3461 times)

Offline SJR

• VIP Member
Maytag Bravos Dryer with Steam
« on: August 20, 2009, 08:22:26 AM »
Brand new dryer less than a month old.  As the clothes get dry, a loud rattle/vibrating noise occurs for maybe 10 seconds out of every 5 minutes.  Sounds like something is vibrating against the cabinet once the air in the dryer gets hotter / the clothes get drier.  The noise only starts after the dryer has been running for 20-30 minutes, and then comes and goes sporadically, getting worse (louder and more often) as the clothes get drier.  When it is making the vibrating noise, it can be heard across the house, especially towards the end of a cycle wqhen it is loudest.

Has anyone ever heard of this issue?  Any thoughts or advice?

Model MEDB800VQ

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Maytag Bravos Dryer with Steam
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 09:46:35 AM »
You need to inspect your vent. It has to be rigid/flex 4 inch pipe. I bet you have the wrong stuff over the vent and this is overheating the roller nearest the vent area. You needs to check that. Repairman can verify that I am sure.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 11:51:29 AM »
10-4 good buddy
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline SJR

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 09:46:41 PM »
I did have a flexible metal foil vent duct, but it was stretched tight to maintain the 4" diameter over the entire length, so I didn't think this was an issue.  Even so, I changed it to a rigid/flexible duct this evening, and the noise is still there.  The entire duct run is less than 15 feet to the outside and I cleaned out the entire length just before installing the new dryer.  The exhaust duct is rigid / NON flexible metal duct except for the 20" piece between the dryer and duct at the floor.  I also checked the exhaust outside the house before and after the change in the short flex duct, plus how the dryer exhausted into the room with no duct at all.  Differences in air flow across all three of these cases was negligible.  Additionally, the dryer manual claims it will show a fault if the ducting is not adequate.  The noise sounds like a slinky hitting sheet metal, like the heating elements vibrating against the heater box might sound.  And as I said before, it gets louder and softer, occuring more often and getting louder as the dryer gets hot.  Any other thoughts/comments?

Online RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 09:54:32 PM »
Possibly the spring on the idler pulley is rattling on the base of the dryer or strumming against the idler itself .

Offline PARTech

• Technician
    • Panhandle Appliance LLC
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
Could also be a warped drum, you are still covered, I'd be callin' a tech. :)  I have seen this on a couple of several different brands.
Serving North Idaho

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 09:09:32 AM »
While it is still under warranty I would call a authorized rep and get someone out there. You've done all you can do.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

ML-7 Maytag Bravos Dryer Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3876
Last post August 17, 2009, 12:42:07 PM
by AJ
Maytag Centennial 7.0 or Maytag Bravos Dryer

Started by Leonard707

Replies: 4
Views: 4289
Last post January 02, 2010, 10:24:38 PM