Author Topic: LG Tromm Gas Dryer won't Heat  (Read 26142 times)

Offline MBryga

• VIP Member
LG Tromm Gas Dryer won't Heat
« on: August 19, 2009, 01:52:10 AM »
I've got a LG DLG0332W dryer that won't heat on any setting, but otherwise seams to be running (lots of air-flow). It came with the house when we bought it 15 months ago (so it's out of any manufacturers and new home warranty).

When first powered up, the 'check filter' LED was flashing and the filter was very dirty. We've cleaned the filter with a specifically designed brush and vacuumed what we could, but the LED continues to flash on power-up. before we cleaned it.
When running the LEDs for 'drying' are all flashing in unison (I don't know what they used to do).

I ran the diagnostics as per page 16 of the manual. I found I could wipe the moisture sensors and then run through the tests and I think it verified the moisture sensor is working.
After pushing the start/pause button I get the following;
0) no error codes
1) 237 down to 120
2) 24
3) 23
Door Open) dE
This all seams normal as far as I can tell.

I have not been brave enough to start disassembling the unit to get to the gas valve or thermoswitches to test them.

Your advice please.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
Re: LG Tromm Gas Dryer won't Heat
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 09:37:26 AM »
Do you still need help with this or did you get it repaired?

I'm no LG expert, but on any other brand of gas dryer that runs but does not heat I would take a look at the ignitor first, part # 5318EL3001A

Offline MBryga

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 10:23:38 AM »
We ended up getting an LG recommended technician out. I decided the almost total tear apart to get to the thermostats/switches was just too much effort and that it would be disassemble too long while I waited for parts to arrive. The first technician I phoned refused to work on LG Tromm's because of some 'scary' design issues and stressed the importance of getting someone who was factory certified. This sent me back to LG customer support where I got the second guy who was great. Had it totally torn apart in about 45 mins, replaced the thermostats/switches, and back together again in another 45 mins. Total cost was $180.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 11:21:28 AM »
Thanks for the update.

Would you happen to have the part number of the parts he used to repair it?

Offline pokerpalace

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 10:42:06 PM »
I've got a dryer that won't heat on any setting, but otherwise seams to be running (lots of air-flow). It came with the house when we bought it 15 months ago (so it's out of any manufacturers and new home warranty).

When first powered up, the 'check filter' LED was flashing and the filter was very dirty. We've cleaned the filter with a specifically designed brush and vacuumed what we could, but the LED continues to flash on power-up. before we cleaned it.
When running the LEDs for 'drying' are all flashing in unison (I don't know what they used to do).

I ran the diagnostics as per page 16 of the manual. I found I could wipe the moisture sensors and then run through the tests and I think it verified the moisture sensor is working.
After pushing the start/pause button I get the following;
0) no error codes
1) 237 down to 120
2) 24
3) 23
Door Open) dE
This all seams normal as far as I can tell.

I have not been brave enough to start disassembling the unit to get to the gas valve or thermoswitches to test them.

Your advice please.

I've got the same dryer and had the exact same issue. It turned out to be a problem with the thermostat. I took apart the dryer, pushed a button and I've got heat again.

Here's step by step instructions I found on repairclinic.com

I had the same problem yesterday. Service technician says that it is one of three things that could be wrong (other online help sites seem to confirm this):

1) Thermostat has a circuit breaker that has tripped or the Thermostat is defective.
2) Thermister or Thermal Fuse had blown.
3) Thermostat/Gas Valve assembly is defective.

I am told that all of these parts can wear out more frequently if your dryer filter, vent, and vent piping are not kept VERY clean on a regular basis.

You can test the first problem on your own if you have a phillips screw driver and a common putty knife. Here's how:

First, UNPLUG THE ELECTRICITY!!

There are two clips that hold the top to the front. Slide a putty knife into the seam between top and front about two inches from the corners, push the clips backwards and pop the top up.

Next, remove two screws on top of the front. Then open the dryer door and remove the two screws on the front, just below the opening. (BE CAREFULL!! THE DOOR IS GLASS AND THE FRONT WILL FALL IF NOT SUPPORTED!!)

The reset switch in built onto the thermostat. The thermostat is located in the bottom right hand front corner of the dryer. It is behind another component, so it is not easily seen. You may want to use a small mirror to see it. Or just gently feel around for a small round pushbutton.

Once you have reset the switch, close the unit by reversing the steps above.

Test the dryer to see if it heats. If it fails again, then you have a defective part that will need replaced, part # 6931EL3003F

Offline Al Capone

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • ApplianceJunk.com
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 10:44:29 AM »
pokerpalace,

Thanks for taking the time to register and post your info.  O0
RepairClinic.com - Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy!

AppliancePartsPros.com - Over 1 Million Appliance Parts In-Stock. 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!

Offline CAPTFOOTLONG

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 07:28:07 AM »
iF THE PEOPLE ARE USING FABRIC SOFTENER IT WILL MAKE THE SENSOR TRIP :D  HAPPENED AT MY OWN HOUSE

Offline the_bigham

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 02:36:50 PM »
This thread seems to be the most recent (despite its age) for heating issue on a DLG0332W.

I think this may be the part and help others find it. This is from my unit moments ago:
http://i50.tinypic.com/1z4ansx.jpg

Does not feel much like a button... but maybe that is because is it bad. I also removed the igniter so I can test it, which can be removed without taking the drum out (with patience)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the images.

What kind of heating issues are you having with your dryer?

Let us know what you found or if you have any questions.

thanks,
Hope you find our site helpful.
Follow us on Google+

Offline the_bigham

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 07:22:14 PM »
Howdy,

My issue is pretty much the same as this thread - no heat and "check filter" on my DLG0332W.

I just replaced M230 - THERMOSTAT ASSEMBLY - 6931EL3003C and still get "check filter" when I power on the dryer. It is in the garage for space to work on it (not connected to gas).

I did NOT replace M220 - THERMOSTAT ASSEMBLY - 6931EL3003F, even though I ordered it, because it does not match what is in the unit. The replacement I ordered has a red button and the screw holes do not match what is in the unit. See picture.

Hi,

Thanks for the images.

What kind of heating issues are you having with your dryer?

Let us know what you found or if you have any questions.

thanks,

Offline the_bigham

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 08:03:26 PM »
P.S.

Does the "check filter" always light up when you first start it? You'd think I would know that after all these years :-|

About to drag this thing back into the house to see 6931EL3003C did the trick...

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 08:07:46 PM »

"Does the "check filter" always light up when you first start it? You'd think I would know that after all these years ".                                                                   

Yes

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 11:47:40 PM »
Looking at the front of the dryer at ground level---the HI-LIMIT THERMOSTAT (6931EL3003F) is located at the one O'clock position on the burner tube.

The HI-LIMIT THERMOSTAT shuts down the gas burner if the temperature in the burner tube has reached 203F.
The HI-LIMIT THERMOSTAT is self-resetting and does NOT have a reset button (automatically resets when the temperature lowers to 158F).

The THERMAL LIMITER (6931EL3003C) is located at the seven to eight o'Clock position on the burner tube.

The THERMAL LIMITER shuts down the gas burner if the HI-LIMIT THERMOSTAT fails to do so---at 230F.

To reset the THERMAL LIMITER---press the small (red or black) button until a "click" sound is felt/heard.

LG published a Service Bulletin in 2006---recommending that the HI-LIMIT THERMOSTAT be replaced if the THERMAL LIMITER has "tripped".

<<<Does the "check filter" always light up when you first start it?>>>

The CHECK FILTER indicator light is a *reminder* to clean the lint filter before starting another load in the dryer.

When the dryer is powered on (turned on)---this light flashes to get your attention---and reminds the user to verify that the lint filter has been cleaned---and is in no way triggered by any type of sensor mounted in the lint filter housing.

When the dryer is started (running)---this indicator lamp should turn off.

<<<I did NOT replace M220 - THERMOSTAT ASSEMBLY - 6931EL3003F, even though I ordered it, because it does not match what is in the unit. The replacement I ordered has a red button and the screw holes do not match what is in the unit.>>>

Incorrect part.

M220 is the HI-LIMIT THERMOSTAT (6931EL3003F) and *does not* have a reset button.

Offline the_bigham

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 07:01:27 AM »
Every site shows the wrong image for 6931EL3003F when I Google it (has button/etc) . Not sure where to order the right part at this stage. Example image from the forum sponser:
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/High-Limit-Thermostat/6931EL3003F/1365245

After hooking up the dryer last night, less the ducting (so I could feel the heat), I had heat briefly. I heard the gas fire up (whoompf) and was getting warm air for a couple minutes or so out the rear vent. Then the heat stopped, and I have not been able to get heat again.

That tells my my igniter is good, which also looked good on the multimeter I borrowed. Perhaps those few minutes of heat was not long enough to trip the high limit and I am looking at a 6501EL9001A issue and/or the high-limit?

I have not run the "diagnostic test" yet - my likely next step (if it is valuable/informative for my symptoms).

P.S.

Is the LG published a Service Bulletin from 2006 a web facing document?

I have the 6931EL3003C I removed on my desk. I cannot get the button to click no matter the pressure I apply - do they break or does it have to be tripped by heat internally to click? Doubting this was broken at this stage....

Offline the_bigham

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 07:18:36 AM »
Suspecting 6931EL3004B is the HI-LIMIT THERMOSTAT I need, despite what the LG service manual says.
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/High-Limit-Thermostat/6931EL3004B/1268367
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:18:52 AM by the_bigham »

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

Started by JLS

Replies: 2
Views: 3582
Last post October 28, 2009, 08:14:22 AM
by RegUS_PatOff

Started by blaquera

Views: 2408
Last post July 14, 2013, 01:59:27 PM
by jnickd
IA84600 Inglis dryer doesn't heat

Started by RickT

Replies: 5
Views: 7221
Last post January 16, 2008, 04:02:42 PM
by JWWebster
maytag dryer model # md 3500 (no heat)

Started by #13

Replies: 5
Views: 6141
Last post December 05, 2007, 07:15:02 AM
by apptech
LG gas dryer wont heat

Started by berniet

Replies: 16
Views: 14406
Last post February 14, 2008, 03:56:13 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
Whirlpool Dryer - Run, but does not heat.

Started by AJ

Views: 3013
Last post January 10, 2014, 12:26:55 PM
by fairbank56