Author Topic: Maytag Performa (I think) motor wiring  (Read 4563 times)

Offline rocketmanallen

• VIP Member
Maytag Performa (I think) motor wiring
« on: August 17, 2009, 02:03:01 PM »
I'm abusing....er...I mean, USING a Maytag motor to run a halloween project. I hook up the white (common) to white and the black to the gren/black striped wire (which I believe is low speed, which is what I want).

The motor hums and will start if I turn the shaft by hand, then it clicks, jumps up on the table about an inch like it's demon possessed and runs great.

I'm assuming I need to wire in the start capacitor, but Im not sure which wire it is and where to connect it (black or white)

Can you help?

Model PAVT2448WW

Offline rocketmanallen

• VIP Member
Re: Maytag Performa (I think) motor wiring
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 02:51:09 PM »
Maybe I just solved with your online repair manual. According to it, you have to have the normal speed winding connected to operate the low speed winding. Logic says, if I connect the normal speed wire to line along with the slow speed wire, the motor switch should go to low speed (according to the manual as well)...this might explain why the start capacitor isn't engaging...although, I don't think it did on normal speed.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 04:54:01 PM »
There's probably not a capcitor on this machine.

You need to make a test cord similar to the one in the manual for this motor to work. Any stout extension cord can be the base, then couple some #14 ga wires on the hot and neutral  wires of the cord to match the diagram below:

"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline rocketmanallen

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 06:45:04 PM »
Yeah, my way didn't work. You'd think mating up the line and common wires would be enough for it to start up without help. I don't want to fry the thing even if it is a throw-away (motors am expensive). Can you tell me what the colors are on your jumper relative to line and common?

My problem isn't getting it to run, it's getting it to run without a hand push start.

Offline rocketmanallen

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 06:57:13 PM »
Yeah, my way didn't work. You'd think mating up the line and common wires would be enough for it to start up without help. I don't want to fry the thing even if it is a throw-away (motors am expensive). Can you tell me what the colors are on your jumper relative to line and common?

My problem isn't getting it to run, it's getting it to run without a hand push start.

I forgot, I know the motor isn't the problem, the tranny went out on the old machine (crap was rattling around in there unitl it eventually locked up)....so the motor is good which is why I salvaged it.

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 07:02:57 PM »
Select any Run Speed Winding you want ...
but must also connect the Start Winding, and depending on which way you connect it (polarity, compared to the Run Winding), it will Run in selected (Start polarity) direction.

One side of selected Run Winding and one side of (determined) Start Winding can be permantly tied together to Neutral.

The other side of those (2) Windings can be tied together, and to a Power Switch.

The Start Winding will (internally) disconnect itself when the Motor get up to speed.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 07:06:41 PM by RegUS_PatOff »
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline rocketmanallen

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 08:26:41 PM »
This one should be new to you. The motor rotation direction doesn't matter. I just need it to start on slow speed (slow speed actually doesn't matter that much either).

Remember, I'm not installing this thing on a machine with specification requirements, I'm free wheelin' it here just for a fun project (in fact, I feel a little bad for taking up some poor dudes time that's in a real fix on his washer).

It runs, I just need it to start up on it's own when it's plugged in.

Offline rocketmanallen

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 07:18:13 PM »
Select any Run Speed Winding you want ...
but must also connect the Start Winding, and depending on which way you connect it (polarity, compared to the Run Winding), it will Run in selected (Start polarity) direction.

One side of selected Run Winding and one side of (determined) Start Winding can be permantly tied together to Neutral.

The other side of those (2) Windings can be tied together, and to a Power Switch.

The Start Winding will (internally) disconnect itself when the Motor get up to speed.

Does a P/N 6 35-6671 look like a Maytag P/N? I've searched several places on line and nothing comes up from Maytag. I need the motor wiring diagram to hook up the test harness (I don't have a black wire out of the motor so it must be another color).

Offline rocketmanallen

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 09:01:51 PM »
Here is a picure of my motor wiring. If somebody could tell which wires on the test harness schematic go to which wires on the motor I will be forever indebted to you.
Allen

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 04:45:44 AM »
If there is no black, use the White wire instead as shown in the diagram above.

Using a motor with open windings like this is hazardous for home projects. This type of motor, while useful for some applications, should never be used outside. Exposure to the elements, including normal morning dew, will make it an electrical accident waiting to happen. May not be the best thing to use for your Halloween display. You have inquisitive children to consider.  Just my opinion...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 06:27:59 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline rocketmanallen

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 07:35:08 AM »
If there is no black, use the White wire instead as shown in the diagram above.

Using a motor with open windings like this is hazardous for home projects. This type of motor, while useful for some applications, should never be used outside. Exposure to the elements, including normal morning dew, will make it an electrical accident waiting to happen. May not be the best thing to use for your Halloween display. You have inquisitive children to consider.  Just my opinion...

You'e absolutely 100% correct. I am building an insulated housing around the motor (for environmental protection), I've converted my outdoor outlets to GFI and all the moving parts/electrical connections are oriented away from traffic to the front door, plus it can only be powered up by an indoor switch located at the front door it can't be powered up without me there.

Thats a very valid concern though!

Offline rocketmanallen

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 06:29:30 PM »
Got it Guy's!!! She runs like sewing machine!!! I especially want to thank "Repair-Man"! Thanks for the ALL the help. You are a righteous dude! SAFETY FIRST! (Don't stop reminding people about that).

RegUs_Patoff, thanks for the tech. skillz! You rock!

If I get this monstrosity working, I'll send you guys a You-tube link of it.

Again,
All my thanks,
Allen

Maytag Washer wiring from motor to start switch

Started by techman51

Replies: 7
Views: 5428
Last post April 23, 2009, 05:52:54 PM
by stu3430
Maytag Performa Washer - Motor Problem

Started by nickcrim

Replies: 4
Views: 2886
Last post May 12, 2009, 07:34:39 AM
by nickcrim
Maytag Performa bad motor or transmission?

Started by skipga

Replies: 4
Views: 2044
Last post May 23, 2009, 05:22:32 AM
by Repair-man
maytag performa out of balance

Started by mechemd1

Replies: 1
Views: 2153
Last post December 31, 2007, 06:47:41 PM
by AJ
Maytag Performa Washer will fill (after changing snubber) but will not agitate