Author Topic: Washer timer knob doesn't affect the control  (Read 5064 times)

Offline psm321

• VIP Member
Washer timer knob doesn't affect the control
« on: August 16, 2009, 11:31:04 PM »
Hi all,
I have a Maytag washer, model MTW5870TW0.  Recently, the control knob (part 13 in the diagram I link below) doesn't seem to actually move the "plate" (don't know the proper term for it -- part 14 in the diagram) behind it that has the pointer to current cycle when I turn it.  Once in a while, it'll move it a tiny amount, but that's rare.  I can still move the "plate" by itself with some effort, and it does seem to work correctly when I do that, but obviously that's difficult to use as a permanent solution.  I would appreciate any suggestions as to what might be wrong, what to look at, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Model MTW5870TW0

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Washer timer knob doesn't affect the control
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 06:16:41 AM »
Replacing the bad timer you have is easier than you might think

To open the control panel, slide a putty knife or old ALO CD under the console at either end to release the clips holding the panel down. Both corners have one. The console will the lift forward and flip over so you can access the timer, etc. The timer knob and the escutcheon (dial. pointer, etc) come off after you pull out a small tab on back of the old timer, which releases the  knob in front so it can be removed. The timer can be then removed and replaced by lifting a plastic tab on the left side of the timer which holds it to the console facia.

Timer for this model- click
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline psm321

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 07:45:07 AM »
So I take it from your reply that you think the timer is actually bad?  I had figured it was something with the knob or how it attached to the timer since manually spinning the escutcheon still worked.  So I should replace the timer and knob/escutcheon, or just the timer?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 10:52:57 AM »
Yes, the timer is what you are turning when you manually rotate the dial. Ordinarily, the internal motor of the clock inside the timer will do all the turning so you don't have to stand there :)

Offline psm321

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 01:06:31 PM »
Yes, the timer is what you are turning when you manually rotate the dial. Ordinarily, the internal motor of the clock inside the timer will do all the turning so you don't have to stand there :)

Sorry if I misinterpreted your reply, but I think from reading it that I was unclear in my initial post.  What I meant to say is, turning the "knobby" part of the control knob (part 13 in the diagram), doesn't do much if anything, but once I use the "plate" part (part 14) to turn it, everything works like normal.  I don't have to stand there the whole time the washer is running, manually rotating the plate.  The timer or whatever does turn that, and once started it goes through the cycles and stops like normal, with the indicator moving as it should.  It's just that the "knob" part doesn't turn the "plate" part when initially trying to set/change the cycle.  I'm obviously not as much of an expert as you (hence my posting here), but that's what makes me think that the timer mechanism itself might not be broken, but either how part 13 attaches to part 14, or to the timer.  Feel free to tell me that I'm wrong though :)

Offline psm321

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 01:17:23 PM »
I should mention, the knob part does work for pull/push for starting and stopping

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 03:15:17 PM »
Ok, so now you have to remove the knob so you can inspect the gear teeth under the knob where it is supposed to mesh with the dial pointer. Open the console as mentioned above, pull out on the small round pin on back of the timer to release the  knob  in front. There are matching teeth on the dial pointer which also need to be looked at. Let us know which are worn, or both, and we'll provide a solution.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 03:16:53 PM by Repair-man »

Offline psm321

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 05:07:55 PM »
Ok, so now you have to remove the knob so you can inspect the gear teeth under the knob where it is supposed to mesh with the dial pointer. Open the console as mentioned above, pull out on the small round pin on back of the timer to release the  knob  in front. There are matching teeth on the dial pointer which also need to be looked at. Let us know which are worn, or both, and we'll provide a solution.

Thanks!  One small (hopefully) question: there are tabs in the back of the machine (which seem really easy to access/open, not requiring an AOL cd or anything like that) on the left and right where the panel is.  Are you referring to those, or something in the groove between the forward-most white part of the control panel and the rest of it?  (I suspect you mean the second, but I don't want to end up opening the wrong thing!)

Thanks again!

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 05:10:35 PM »
If you can open the upper part of the back panel without difficulty, please do  so. You only need to expose the back side of the timer control to pull the release tab.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 07:50:48 PM »
Keep in mind you have the latest version of a washer that has been around for a while. I have pix of older models and access to yours is done in the same manor. However instead of the screws holding down the control panel it is now done with spring loaded clips. Slide a putty knife under each ennd and release the control panel and it can then be flipped up like older models.TAKE A LOOK HERE
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 07:53:12 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline psm321

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 07:40:08 PM »
Hi,

I got the knob off, but I don't see any teeth.  I do have an additional bit of info now though.  When I manually spin the pointer dial, it turns the rod that the knob was on with it.  But when I turn the rod that the knob was on, it doesn't turn the pointer dial (except a little bit occasionally).  Do I need to remove the pointer dial to see more? (I couldn't figure out how and didn't want to force it)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 10:51:51 PM »
Get another knob. Yours is stripped
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline psm321

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 10:53:36 PM »
But the rod doesn't spin the indicator dial even without the knob on it?  It looks like the knob only is a control for the rod...

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 12:10:17 AM »
weird
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline psm321

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 08:58:48 AM »
Would it help if I posted pictures and/or video (just to make clear what I'm saying, in case it's ambiguous, and to help figure out what "style" of knob assembly it is)

Installing a timer control part on Whirlpool washer

Started by Tnkrposit

Replies: 3
Views: 8015
Last post October 20, 2008, 06:42:42 AM
by Repair-man
Broken Timer Control Knob

Started by mcsquizzy

Replies: 2
Views: 1877
Last post October 26, 2008, 08:44:22 PM
by mcsquizzy
Washer Timer Control Unit

Started by DWP

Replies: 4
Views: 2365
Last post March 13, 2010, 01:05:53 PM
by schaffersapplian
maytag Atlantis washer timer switch doesn't activate spin cycle

Started by helpme805

Replies: 6
Views: 7806
Last post July 30, 2011, 08:35:12 PM
by AJ
WHIRLPOOL Washer - replaced timer control

Started by progman63

Replies: 20
Views: 7466
Last post August 12, 2010, 07:48:20 AM
by RegUS_PatOff
How do I access Kenmore Washer Timer. 11023034100?

Started by wsommariva

Replies: 7
Views: 12895
Last post September 02, 2007, 04:58:36 PM
by AJ