Author Topic: Dryer Won't Restart Unless Cool  (Read 1848 times)

Offline smd

• VIP Member
Dryer Won't Restart Unless Cool
« on: August 03, 2009, 08:12:04 AM »
Brand new to this forum.  I have the DLE2532W dryer.  The dryer will start and complete a normal cycle.  However, it won't restart (the motor just hums) until the dryer cools down.  Then it restarts and runs normally.  I have replaced the blower thermostat, but that didn't fix the problem.  I have also inspected and cleaned the outlet ducting to make sure it wasn't clogged.  Also, running a cycle on "Air Dry", with no heat does not cause the problem, so it's definitely temperature related.  I'm hoping it's a problem with one or both of the other thermostats and not the motor.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
Re: Dryer Won't Restart Unless Cool
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 08:37:03 AM »
It sounds like a motor thats on it's way to failing. When it's hot the start coil on the motor doesn't have enough power to rotate. Or it could be the drum rollers tightening up when it gets hot but it's most likely the motor.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 09:37:24 AM »
If the glides rollers and idler all turn smoothly then the motor is probably in need of a little oil. Of course these newer motors do not come with oil ports. I drill out some oil ports being carefull not to hit the shaft. I use zoomoil because it is non flammable and won't disapate under high temp conditions. I fill the cotton wells on either side and work the motor free by hand. I also clean it up real good. This method might or might no work depending on how far gone the motor is. Like I said I have had some success.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline smd

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 05:12:20 PM »
Thanks to all for the advice.  I decided to just bite the bullet and order a replacement motor online before the old one died completely.  I installed it and that has fixed the problem.

AMANA dryer heats at first then runs cool

Started by mike k

Replies: 2
Views: 1210
Last post October 16, 2009, 07:39:00 PM
by mike k
Dryer won't run in cool down

Started by spinner101

Replies: 5
Views: 819
Last post October 29, 2013, 12:35:36 PM
by dab147315
Kenmore dryer doesn't cool down or stop

Started by Dryer Mom

Replies: 4
Views: 200
Last post October 28, 2014, 03:52:16 PM
by keithvibe
Kennore Dryer problems

Started by smckeown

Replies: 6
Views: 9112
Last post July 10, 2007, 09:31:02 AM
by smckeown
LDG7304 Maytag Dryer - making a lot of noise.

Started by robert

Replies: 5
Views: 7960
Last post February 20, 2011, 07:33:06 PM
by jumptrout51
Amana dryer making noise

Started by bigvonne

Replies: 1
Views: 3655
Last post May 19, 2008, 12:53:38 PM
by apptech