Forum > Chit Chat

Voltage through ground.

(1/3) > >>

magician59:
While replacing a ceiling fan in my home (built cir.1982), I noticed a voltage in my ground at the original connection. This was among other issues that evidence sub-standard construction. I turned off the house main and still read about 81VAC on the ground. How do I proceed to remedy this?

Repair-man:
This is bleed voltage coming from an un-grounded circuit somewhere in the panel. If the breaker box was grounded to a proper copper rod, this would not occur unless a circuit was improperly grounded feeding off of it. If you have  underground utilities, then you may need professional help here.

magician59:
Thanks for the prompt reply. Another question: If this is caused by a current bleed, why didn't my main breaker stop it? Shouldn't the main disconnect from the utility source?

Repair-man:

--- Quote from: magician59 on August 09, 2009, 09:05:13 PM --- Another question: If this is caused by a current bleed, why didn't my main breaker stop it? Shouldn't the main disconnect from the utility source?

--- End quote ---

Because the main breaker is connected to L1 and L2, not Neutral.

Breakers  are there to prevent overload.  (Except for GFCI's)

shieldcracker:
Repair man, magician said he shut off the house mains.
If he still has voltage readings with the mains off then his problem might be more serious.
Magician I have an idea of what could be happenin but I need to know exactly how you came up with  the 81V?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version