Author Topic: No Cooling  (Read 4872 times)

Offline britcom61

• VIP Member
Re: No Cooling
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 01:05:20 PM »
I turned the defrost timer screw until the compressor stopped, the heater element didnot heat up, I removed it and ohmed it out, no continuity, so its bad.. I was also wondering what reading I should get from the leads to the element? Is it converted to low voltage, or still 120?
  I am having a problem finding the parts you mentioned, I went to this site
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=227913
the part numbers are different and the prices are also, should I just enter their part #s on this site, top left of the page and get a different # and price?? By the way, your help has been invaluable, we appreciate your time, all the best, Lee.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 04:59:35 PM »
I was also wondering what reading I should get from the leads to the element? Is it converted to low voltage, or still 120?

It's 120V at the heaters. You will not get any voltage if you are checking it with a warm defrost thermostat. When the defrost thermostat is warm it opens up the line to the heating element killing the voltage.

the part numbers are different and the prices are also, should I just enter their part #s on this site, top left of the page and get a different # and price??

AppliancePartsPros as with most online appliance parts dealers use there own numbering system, but the factory numbers I gave you will automatically sub over to there own numbers, not sure why the price would be different. They maybe just changed them.

If you enter the part number in the search box at the top left of this page it will take you to the correct part on the appliancepartspros page.

You can also search for the heater kit and timer yourself by using the model number of your refrigerator in the search box at the top left that says "Enter Model Number".

« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 05:01:54 PM by whirlpooltech »

Offline britcom61

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 05:21:46 PM »
PARTS ARE ALL ORDERD, WILL BE HERE TUESDAY.  I DID AS YOU SAID AND ORDERED EVERYTHING TO REPLACE AT ONCE, NO NEED TO GO BACK IN A FEW MONTHS AND HAVE TO REDO.
I HAVE REMOVED ALL OF THE ICE BUT NEITHER THE FREEZER OF REFIGERATOR ARE GETTING ANY COOLERM STILLL 40 IN FREEZER ABOUT 70 IN REFRIGERATOR.  ANY IDEA AS TO HOW LONG IT MAY TAKE TO COOL DOWN ENOUGH TO USE THE REFRIGERATOR?
Thanks, Lee

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 05:47:47 PM »
I turned the defrost timer screw until the compressor stopped,

Did you take it back out of defrost?

If the compressor is running there is not much else you can do other then wait for it to cool down on it's own. The more times you open the door to check it the longer it will take to cool down. :)

Offline britcom61

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 07:26:44 PM »
Yes I turned the screw just one click and the compressor started up again. The evaporator coil is already covered in frost. Must be the high humidity, I did not put the defrost heater back in as is is definately bad. Will keep the door closed as much as possible, Lee.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2009, 07:39:04 PM »
Some frost is normal, the problem that happens when it does not defrost is the to much frost builds up and this extra frost blocks the air flow. The only way the refrigerator gets any cool air is to blow it over from the freezer. The air also has to circulate inside the freezer for it to get cold enough too.

Offline britcom61

• VIP Member
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2009, 07:56:58 PM »
So if I have this correct, the freezer has to get down below 30 and the only cooling that the refrigerator gets is the cold air moving thru the 1 inch hole at the bottom of the freezer/refrigerator wall. I say i inch because that is as large as the adjustment allows it to go. Am I correct? Lee.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2009, 09:05:19 PM »
If you got all the ice out then the ice box will work just like your grandmas. You can unplug it for a few hours each week and it will defrost on its own. Not ideal but they did it that way for 100 years now.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Please help, Whirlpool refrigerator not cooling good.

Started by paul

Replies: 6
Views: 6612
Last post August 22, 2007, 12:59:04 PM
by Pegi
1975 GE Refrigerator not cooling

Started by deanpark

Replies: 4
Views: 7175
Last post September 24, 2007, 02:50:21 PM
by deanpark
Amana Refrigerator ABB2227DES not cooling.

Started by dex

Replies: 9
Views: 7691
Last post October 31, 2007, 10:35:34 PM
by rickgburton
Problem with Kenmore refrigerator not cooling, but freezer and icemaker are ok

Started by Bigmetalman

Replies: 3
Views: 8695
Last post February 13, 2008, 11:03:25 AM
by Bigmetalman
Kitchenaid Refrigerator Not Cooling