Author Topic: No Cooling  (Read 5107 times)

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
Re: No Cooling
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 11:57:02 AM »
ok, I just checked the price and the timer is $22.70 and the defrost heater kit is only $30.29 so for $52.99 plus a little shipping you can get your refrigerator up and running again.

Just make sure all the frost has been removed before you put the new parts in and run it again.

If you do not get all the frost removed the new defrost system may not be able to get that extra frost build up defrosted on it's own. It could then frost up to much and damage the new parts.

Offline britcom61

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 12:02:04 PM »
Thanks for your input, I believe you are correct and replacement of all 3 parts is best now while I have access. Did you get these part prices from this site? Also, is there any way I can manually start the defrost until the new parts arrive, that way I can run the fridge and not loose any more food, Thanks, Lee.

Offline britcom61

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 12:08:05 PM »
Another thing I would like to know, if the glass heater element is not broken does that mean it could still be damaged. My evaporator was not a block of ice, more like a very heavy frost that completely stopped the airflow, I know it would not have been long till that type of frost turned to ice as it had already  closed up its crystals but not actually solid yet, I appreciate your input, thanks, Lee.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 12:09:42 PM »
I got the part number from looking up your model number, they are factory part numbers.

I then got the prices by using the parts search box on this site. The parts search box takes you to the appliancepartspros.com site, they are a affiliate of ApplianceJunk.com

Any parts you purchase through AppliancePartsPros.com using the parts search box on this site helps support this site.

You can try to manually turn the defrost timer until you hear it click off. When the timer is in defrost  you will hear the compressor stop. The defrost timer is located inside the refrigerator, near the top by the other controls, see the diagram link Al posted in a above post to help you located it.

There is a knob or slot in the center of the timer you can turn to manually advance it to defrost. Of coarse if the heaters are shot it won't help.

You could just defrost it with a hair dryer quick and put it back together and run it.

Should work for a couple day's unit you get the parts.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 12:16:11 PM »
Another thing I would like to know, if the glass heater element is not broken does that mean it could still be damaged.

It's hard to say with out being there. There are a couple ways you could test it.

1. Ohm it out with a meter.
2. Put the refrigerator into defrost mode and with the defrost thermostat (cold) close you should see the heaters turn red.

I have had to many call backs on refrigerators with glass tube heats that checked good, but went bad week or a few months later after a defrost problem like yours.

I just replace them all the first time around as the cost of the part is not worth the food loss let alone the time or money it takes for a return call.

Offline britcom61

• VIP Member
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 01:05:20 PM »
I turned the defrost timer screw until the compressor stopped, the heater element didnot heat up, I removed it and ohmed it out, no continuity, so its bad.. I was also wondering what reading I should get from the leads to the element? Is it converted to low voltage, or still 120?
  I am having a problem finding the parts you mentioned, I went to this site
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=227913
the part numbers are different and the prices are also, should I just enter their part #s on this site, top left of the page and get a different # and price?? By the way, your help has been invaluable, we appreciate your time, all the best, Lee.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 04:59:35 PM »
I was also wondering what reading I should get from the leads to the element? Is it converted to low voltage, or still 120?

It's 120V at the heaters. You will not get any voltage if you are checking it with a warm defrost thermostat. When the defrost thermostat is warm it opens up the line to the heating element killing the voltage.

the part numbers are different and the prices are also, should I just enter their part #s on this site, top left of the page and get a different # and price??

AppliancePartsPros as with most online appliance parts dealers use there own numbering system, but the factory numbers I gave you will automatically sub over to there own numbers, not sure why the price would be different. They maybe just changed them.

If you enter the part number in the search box at the top left of this page it will take you to the correct part on the appliancepartspros page.

You can also search for the heater kit and timer yourself by using the model number of your refrigerator in the search box at the top left that says "Enter Model Number".

« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 05:01:54 PM by whirlpooltech »

Offline britcom61

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 05:21:46 PM »
PARTS ARE ALL ORDERD, WILL BE HERE TUESDAY.  I DID AS YOU SAID AND ORDERED EVERYTHING TO REPLACE AT ONCE, NO NEED TO GO BACK IN A FEW MONTHS AND HAVE TO REDO.
I HAVE REMOVED ALL OF THE ICE BUT NEITHER THE FREEZER OF REFIGERATOR ARE GETTING ANY COOLERM STILLL 40 IN FREEZER ABOUT 70 IN REFRIGERATOR.  ANY IDEA AS TO HOW LONG IT MAY TAKE TO COOL DOWN ENOUGH TO USE THE REFRIGERATOR?
Thanks, Lee

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 05:47:47 PM »
I turned the defrost timer screw until the compressor stopped,

Did you take it back out of defrost?

If the compressor is running there is not much else you can do other then wait for it to cool down on it's own. The more times you open the door to check it the longer it will take to cool down. :)

Offline britcom61

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 07:26:44 PM »
Yes I turned the screw just one click and the compressor started up again. The evaporator coil is already covered in frost. Must be the high humidity, I did not put the defrost heater back in as is is definately bad. Will keep the door closed as much as possible, Lee.

Please help, Whirlpool refrigerator not cooling good.

Started by paul

Replies: 6
Views: 7172
Last post August 22, 2007, 12:59:04 PM
by Pegi
1975 GE Refrigerator not cooling

Started by deanpark

Replies: 4
Views: 7488
Last post September 24, 2007, 02:50:21 PM
by deanpark
Amana Refrigerator ABB2227DES not cooling.

Started by dex

Replies: 9
Views: 8008
Last post October 31, 2007, 10:35:34 PM
by rickgburton
Problem with Kenmore refrigerator not cooling, but freezer and icemaker are ok

Started by Bigmetalman

Replies: 3
Views: 9386
Last post February 13, 2008, 11:03:25 AM
by Bigmetalman
Kitchenaid Refrigerator Not Cooling