Author Topic: No Cooling  (Read 4782 times)

Offline britcom61

• VIP Member
No Cooling
« on: August 09, 2009, 08:49:01 AM »
Hi, we have had this model GE Side-by-Side for about 7 years now. I started smelling food going bad before realising it was not working or making ice. The freezer side is 40F and the food side is 70F. I cleaned the condenser coil which is underneath the unit. The last time I worked on a refrigerator the coil was on the back so the design has changed a lot since then. I can hear a fan behind the ice maker which I asume is the freezer evaporator fan, I can also hear that same fan in the top of the food compartment but I,m not sure if there should be another fan or even if this fridge has 2 evaporators. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Lee in VA.

Model TFX20JRBKWW

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: No Cooling
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 09:23:25 AM »
Check the fan motor on the rear at the compressor. Is it running? If not, could be a bad fan motor causing the problem. Listen for a intermittent clicking sound from the compressor. If a clicking sound is heard it could be a bad start relay on the compressor.
Since your evaporator fan motor is working in the freezer your defrost timer should be in running position. That would rule out a bad defrost timer.
If you have a volt/ohm meter you could check continuity on the off/on cold control thermostat. No continuity would be a bad control.
If you do have a clicking compressor that would rule out a bad cold control.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline britcom61

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 09:41:31 AM »
 The fan by the compressor is running and the compressor is running.  We think it may be stuck in defrost mode, how do I check that?  I can't find any diagrams of this refigerator..
Thanks,Lee

Offline Al Capone

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • ApplianceJunk.com
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 09:46:52 AM »
I can't find any diagrams of this refigerator..

Here is a parts diagram for your model refrigerator.

TFX20JRBKWW icon Diagram
RepairClinic.com - Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy!

AppliancePartsPros.com - Over 1 Million Appliance Parts In-Stock. 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 09:55:53 AM »
The compressor does not run in defrost mode. Remove the rear maintenence panel in the freezer and see if the ice is built up on the coils. You may have a bad defrost heater and that causes a blockage of air flow.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 09:57:51 AM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline britcom61

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 10:22:38 AM »
I have removed the real panel, there is no ice buildup on the condensor coil and the coil itself is at room temp. The compressor is a sealed scroll model, I can feel the vibration of it opperating and it is around 90f to the touch. Lee.

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 11:10:01 AM »
You have a bad compressor or a refrigerant leak.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline britcom61

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 11:39:48 AM »
I just finished removing all the food from the freezer, and the back panel, the evaporator is frozen. I guess that means that the defroster is not working. I am melting the ice right now, does anyone have advice on how to check the defrost timer etc. I do have all the tools needed just not the know how for small appliances, Lee.

Offline britcom61

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 11:44:56 AM »
I don't think there is a refrigerant leak and the compressor is working. Now that the evaporator in the back of the freezer is de-iced I pluged the unit back in and the condenser lines are already frosting up a little. I believe I need help figuring out what component of the defrosting system is in need of replacement, Lee.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 11:52:16 AM »
Just what I thought you would find on this GE refrigerator.

There are only three parts to the defrost system in that refrigerator.

1. Defrost Timer
2. Defrost Thermostat
3. Defrost Heater

This GE refrigerator uses glass tube type heaters and once they freeze they are crap. Even if they still test ok now there is a good chance they will fail soon.

The good news is the heaters are cheap and include a new defrost thermostat, part # WR51X10101

The defrost timer is also cheap, part # WR9X489

What I often finds happens on these refrigerators is the defrost timer stops working. This make the coils freeze up and all that extra frost damages the glass heaters.

Enter the part numbers I gave you in the search box at the top left were it says, "Enter Part Number" to check prices, but I believe you can replace your whole defrost system in this refrigerator for less then you would expect.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 11:57:02 AM »
ok, I just checked the price and the timer is $22.70 and the defrost heater kit is only $30.29 so for $52.99 plus a little shipping you can get your refrigerator up and running again.

Just make sure all the frost has been removed before you put the new parts in and run it again.

If you do not get all the frost removed the new defrost system may not be able to get that extra frost build up defrosted on it's own. It could then frost up to much and damage the new parts.

Offline britcom61

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 12:02:04 PM »
Thanks for your input, I believe you are correct and replacement of all 3 parts is best now while I have access. Did you get these part prices from this site? Also, is there any way I can manually start the defrost until the new parts arrive, that way I can run the fridge and not loose any more food, Thanks, Lee.

Offline britcom61

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 12:08:05 PM »
Another thing I would like to know, if the glass heater element is not broken does that mean it could still be damaged. My evaporator was not a block of ice, more like a very heavy frost that completely stopped the airflow, I know it would not have been long till that type of frost turned to ice as it had already  closed up its crystals but not actually solid yet, I appreciate your input, thanks, Lee.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 12:09:42 PM »
I got the part number from looking up your model number, they are factory part numbers.

I then got the prices by using the parts search box on this site. The parts search box takes you to the appliancepartspros.com site, they are a affiliate of ApplianceJunk.com

Any parts you purchase through AppliancePartsPros.com using the parts search box on this site helps support this site.

You can try to manually turn the defrost timer until you hear it click off. When the timer is in defrost  you will hear the compressor stop. The defrost timer is located inside the refrigerator, near the top by the other controls, see the diagram link Al posted in a above post to help you located it.

There is a knob or slot in the center of the timer you can turn to manually advance it to defrost. Of coarse if the heaters are shot it won't help.

You could just defrost it with a hair dryer quick and put it back together and run it.

Should work for a couple day's unit you get the parts.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 12:16:11 PM »
Another thing I would like to know, if the glass heater element is not broken does that mean it could still be damaged.

It's hard to say with out being there. There are a couple ways you could test it.

1. Ohm it out with a meter.
2. Put the refrigerator into defrost mode and with the defrost thermostat (cold) close you should see the heaters turn red.

I have had to many call backs on refrigerators with glass tube heats that checked good, but went bad week or a few months later after a defrost problem like yours.

I just replace them all the first time around as the cost of the part is not worth the food loss let alone the time or money it takes for a return call.

Please help, Whirlpool refrigerator not cooling good.

Started by paul

Replies: 6
Views: 6567
Last post August 22, 2007, 12:59:04 PM
by Pegi
1975 GE Refrigerator not cooling

Started by deanpark

Replies: 4
Views: 7143
Last post September 24, 2007, 02:50:21 PM
by deanpark
Amana Refrigerator ABB2227DES not cooling.

Started by dex

Replies: 9
Views: 7636
Last post October 31, 2007, 10:35:34 PM
by rickgburton
Problem with Kenmore refrigerator not cooling, but freezer and icemaker are ok

Started by Bigmetalman

Replies: 3
Views: 8657
Last post February 13, 2008, 11:03:25 AM
by Bigmetalman
Kitchenaid Refrigerator Not Cooling