Author Topic: compressor horsepower  (Read 3270 times)

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
compressor horsepower
« on: July 21, 2009, 09:22:10 PM »
 When using a 3 in 1 hardstart do you have to exactly match the horsepower? Is there a chart with a list of refrigerator compressors and there horsepower?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: compressor horsepower
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 11:20:14 PM »
I try the HS-810 first and if that don't work I go for the HS-410. If I cannot predetirmine the HP rating.
I have both connected to a test cord in my stuff. You can pretty much tell in a jiffy.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 03:59:26 AM »
Most compressors have the BTU rating encoded in the compressor model number. If not it is stamped on them somewhere. A household refrigerator is usually not much larger than 1150 BTU, so you'll be safe to pick one for up to 1/4 HP.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 06:10:09 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 02:27:05 PM »
 Thanks Repair-man. Can you damage a compressor if you use a higher horsepower hard start?

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 05:50:47 PM »
To start a compressor and run a short while(1 hour or less) no damage. Any longer the motor windings will suffer.

OOppss!! He said RM. ;)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 05:52:51 PM by jumptrout51 »
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 06:26:52 PM »
When you are opting for a hard start device that means the compressor is already on its way to never never land.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 06:36:42 PM »
OK, JW, you are spot on this time....the option for a start-assist device on a regular refrigerator does signify issues, whether it be a restricted system or simply an internal compressor issue.

And Trout, your comment about run time really makes no sense. A hard start kit only bumps the start windings for a split second, then it's out of the circuit. You can run it till the cows come home, cause it is not doing anything after the initial boost to the start windings.

MajorApp, you cannot oversize a hard start kit and do damage. Just be sure the compressor windings are not grounded. Use a mega-ohm meter.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 06:47:58 PM »
I beg to differ on the time frame. Initially, if a oversized hard-start is all you have, use it to verify if the compressor will run. Afterwards, If too much capacitance is supplied to the start windings damage can result with continued use. One hour of time is enough for the compressor to cycle twice in most cases. Then a decision should be made to replace the start relay or size the hard start correctly. The same issue applies if you under-size a hard start. A under-sized device will not start a compressor, if it should it will not run efficiently.Yes, you do have parameters ie: up to a 1/5 hp, then 1/4-1/3 hp then 1/2 hp.  Do your test. Amp them and see.
Do LRA test.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 07:02:24 PM by jumptrout51 »
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 08:19:24 PM »
I always am gonna clamp on a ammeter and see what that puppy is drawing. Like I said you can usually tell. As far as leaving the hardstart on there. I say hell yeah you leave it on there. If the compressor runs hot and dies it is because that sucker is on it's way out the door. I say get the correct relay. Their are many other options out there. The IC31,IC13,IC15,IC1,ETC. The idea is to energize all that copper to get that lugnut started and then for half the copper to drop out so the damn thang don't run hot. It is BEST to get the original relay. if that don't do it then replace the compressor or put one of these jewels on there. It is a gamble.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline magician59

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 08:02:25 PM »
I've heard a bunch of arguments against using hard start kits. When I  worked for a Maytag store, we only used 'em if the units in question were out of warranty. Anybody out there actually witnessed a fire caused by the use of a 3-N-1? Right now, I have one connected to a dedicated test cord, just to aid in the diagnosis.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 09:01:16 PM »
The 3n1 has a built in overload and the capacitor drops out of the circuit when the unit comes up to speed. I do not see how one could catch fire, I have never heard of one catching fire. If they get hot and they do, they simpley shut down. They are very safe.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Hole in the side of the compressor - coffee can window unit

Started by JWWebster

Replies: 7
Views: 2404
Last post July 26, 2008, 12:59:06 PM
by JWWebster
sears side by side compressor and dryer replacement

Started by offtheworkigo

Replies: 6
Views: 2395
Last post March 01, 2014, 06:28:37 PM