Author Topic: Kenmore 790 Series Slide In Range  (Read 7440 times)

Offline lemmy

• VIP Member
Kenmore 790 Series Slide In Range
« on: August 07, 2009, 02:38:31 PM »
I have purchased a condo with this slide in range.  All I have is the Care and Use manual.  I looked on here and found that it was made by Frigidaire.  However none of the manuals in the Frigidaire section have Gas slide on stoves.  Only the gas cook tops and freestanding.  Any idea where I can get a repair manual?  Or even an install manual?  Thanks.  

Model 790.46812991

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Kenmore 790 Series Slide In Range
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 05:38:10 PM »
What problem are you having with the range?
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 08:22:54 PM »
There was no "slide-in" manual made. Use the Frigidaire 30" Gas Freestanding range manual for reference. An installation manual would not help you...it just shows the wall cutout, electrical etc.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline lemmy

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 11:35:49 PM »
The control board has fallen in (isn't flush with the front like it is supposed to) and it beeps and has F1 error code.  Also, when I turn any of the eyes on, I here the clicking of the ignitor, but nothing lights. The clicking just sounds like it is coming from the front right eye regardless of which eye I turn on.  I wanted the manual because I can't even figure out how to get the slide-in stove out so I can check to see if the gas valve is even on.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 05:28:48 AM »
There's no need to slide the unit out for that ....if you can  light the burners with a match, the gas is on. You can't hear the gas when you turn the knob or smell anything?

F-1 is a bad touch pad on the clock. Sounds like a bad spark module from here also.

Besides, a slide in range simply slides right out. It has feet just like a regular range, only no finished side panels. "Drop-in" ranges are slightly different, but this isn't one of them. Try opening the oven door, grasping the inside of the cavity at the top and pull out the range.

Offline lemmy

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 10:07:04 PM »
I haven't tried to light the burners with a match, but I smell no gas at all while trying to light.   However when the home inspector was there, he had trouble with it, but was finally able to get the front right eye only working, but I have no idea how because I wasn't there (my girlfriend was). 

If I end up having to replace this range. Can I replace it with a standard freestanding range with no changes to the cabinets?  They look to be about the same width. 

Also, I have read several places online about the 790 series having fire problems.  I realize this is a very expensive range, but should I bother with trying to fix it if this model is a known fire hazard?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 04:56:00 AM »
The "790" series pertains to every product made by Frigidaire, so NO, there are no general hazard issues with every Frigidaire product.

You can replace a slide-in with a freestanding range...the only difference is finished panels on the sides.

If you don't know whether you can light the burners with a match then you haven't done much checking out of the problem. Maybe you should hire someone with experience to properly assess the problem.

Offline lemmy

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 09:44:21 AM »
well, actually I haven't tried with a match because I didn't have one with me at the time and I haven't closed on the condo yet so I can't just walk over there and check it out any time I want.  I just messed with it about 5-10 minutes then I got the model number and I am trying to get info online so I can be ready when I move in.  I want to be without a range for as little time as possible. 

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 08:28:35 PM »
Tell them to replace the range to close the deal.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline Washaman

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 11:06:49 PM »
And call the gas company to make sure the previous owners did not shut it off, maybe you need to have it put in your name if you smell no gas?

Offline lemmy

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 09:57:21 PM »
The gas is on at the house because the fireplace and furnace work fine.  Also, I pulled the stove out tonight and noticed the gas valve is on.  I noticed the two ignitors on the right are working (I can see a strong spark), but the two on the left are not.  I smell no gas. Once I might have smelled just a bit.  Then I finally got the right front to light but the flame was very very low and never varied when i moved the dial from high to low. After a minute or so, it went out.   It is like there is some gas flow problem to the cooktop.

Offline lemmy

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
Everything seems to be working now. 

I don't think I was clear earlier, but this model is an electric convection oven, with a gas cooktop. 

Anyway, I took out the control board to look for any bad capacitors or chips that looked damaged and it looked fine.  I also unplugged the connectors to the ignitor module for the cooktop and plugged it back up.  when I powered the range up, the error code was gone from the display and the oven worked.  Also, all 4 ignitors were working instead of just the two on the right.  But I still had a gas flow problem.  I was going to check to see if there was gas flow coming in to the range.  So I turned off the gas valve behind the stove and tried to remove the flexible hose from the regulator but it wouldn't budge.  When I turned the gas valve back on, suddenly there was plenty of gas coming out and the cooktop works fine.   I can't think of why it would work before when I didn't do anything but shut off the valve and then open up the valve.  I traced the gas line and none of it was pinched or anything.  Any ideas?  Could the regulator be messing up? 

Also, I can't seem to find any of the Frigidaire manuals that are even close the to range I have.  I have looked at the electric freestanding manuals but none of them resemble mine at all.  I think mine is about 10 years old. 

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 05:41:17 PM »

Offline lemmy

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 11:44:02 AM »
Thanks. That is not exactly like mine, but closer than the other manuals on here. 

However I showed up yesterday and the gas wasn't working again.  Since all burners either work or don't work and when not working there is no gas coming out, I am thinking it is the regulator.  I turned off the gas at the back of the range and tried to remove the flexible hose from the stove but couldn't get it off. 

I am putting one wrench on the silver nut to support and the other on the brass nut on the end of the flexible hose and it won't budge.  I was under the impression that these are not supposed to be that tight. 

Also, the electronic controller has the F1 once again.  I have read this is common and that even with a new $300 board, it often comes back again.  I read on one forum that a bad connection on the ribbon cable the connects the keypad to the board is what causes this problem.  Have you ever heard that? 

Offline lemmy

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 11:44:39 AM »
Thanks. That is not exactly like mine, but closer than the other manuals on here. 

However I showed up yesterday and the gas wasn't working again.  Since all burners either work or don't work at the same time and when not working there is no gas coming out, I am thinking it is the regulator.  I turned off the gas at the back of the range and tried to remove the flexible hose from the stove but couldn't get it off. 

I am putting one wrench on the silver nut to support and the other on the brass nut on the end of the flexible hose and it won't budge.  I was under the impression that these are not supposed to be that tight. 

Also, the electronic controller has the F1 once again.  I have read this is common and that even with a new $300 board, it often comes back again.  I read on one forum that a bad connection on the ribbon cable the connects the keypad to the board is what causes this problem.  Have you ever heard that? 

Kenmore Range Overheating

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 2345
Last post March 20, 2008, 11:13:21 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Kenmore Range codes

Started by PPGBODYMAN

Replies: 7
Views: 6471
Last post September 13, 2008, 11:38:49 PM
by whirlpooltech