Author Topic: How many years are the Whirlpool/ Kenmore Washings machine interchangable?  (Read 2392 times)

Online Washaman

• Technician
I have a 1992 Model Kenmore 70 Series Washer. The transmissions on these look the same as the models that are newer. Would this transmission work on a 3-5 year old Kenmore if I were to swap them out?

Model 110.92272100

Online Washaman

• Technician
I just realized the 1992 Model is not a neutral drain transmission also. The newer one is. Problem?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
If you are repairing a neutral drain machine and using an older tranny then that would work in a pinch. Putting a newer (neutral drain type) tranny in an older machine won't do because while the older washer is thinking it is spinning and pumping, it is only pumping water. It will not pause to allow the spin pawl to kick in.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Online Washaman

• Technician
Awesome! Thank you. That just made my night.

Offline BrntToast

• VIP Member
  • Mayday Appliance Service
    • frigidaire service blog
thank you JW

i never realised there was a difference in the 2 machines

this explains all the neutral drain problems i have with machines built by the shop i work for
cause they basterdize machines and make one out of 3, so sometimes even ordering by model number on the cabinet i still have problems with them afterwards

so old trans will work in newer machines, but a newer neural drain trans will not work in an older machine
correct?

and are you certain of this?  cause the last one i had probs with was a 5 yr old machine that the shop rebuilt

also... is there an easy way to identify the difference between the 2 transmission once they are removed from the machines?
Mayday Appliance Service
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

The only stupid question is the one not asked

Online Washaman

• Technician
I know the  question was not directed to me , but I have been swapping these trannies between Whirlpools and Kenmores for a while and they range in ages from 3-12? Years. I find the newer models have a very bad problem of blowing seals from the coupler. The older transmissions I come across do not have this problem. Different Manufacture/ Product? I have been curious. I  guess I could post this question.

Offline BrntToast

• VIP Member
  • Mayday Appliance Service
    • frigidaire service blog
i've seen the same thing
but maybe its just that there are millions more of them in homes nowadays then there were 12+ years ago
so there are more of them that we will see fail
Mayday Appliance Service
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

The only stupid question is the one not asked

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
The newer trannys run longer be cause the timer has the built in pump out then pause then spin where as the older trannys only had to pump and spin simutaineously. If you watch a newer style washer the pump is going wide open for 5 minutes past the time all that water is out of the machine. That could explain why that seal fails. Yes the older trannys will work on the newer machines but the newer style trannys with neutral wont work in the older washers be cause as stated earlier there is no pause in the timer on older machines to allow for the spin pawl to do its thang.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 09:40:32 AM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Just for those of you who do not know this, there are still both versions of this transmission in use today, depending on the size of the machine load capacity. On deep tub machines, you may find a neutral drain whereas on smaller tubs there is none. You need to check each model by using the parts lookup first before you commit.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
Also the neutral drain pumps tend to melt the bearing and leak more than the older ones cause by the friction of the pump running without water in it.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Kenmore (Whirlpool) washing machine will not agitate

Started by autumdove

Replies: 3
Views: 5480
Last post November 24, 2007, 10:18:04 PM
by rickgburton
Photos: Whirlpool Duet washer with bad bearings, only 2.5 years old!

Started by AJ

Replies: 21
Views: 32071
Last post May 23, 2013, 08:22:19 PM
by Rick32k
Kenmore washer by whirlpool, slow spin

Started by deemessingup

Replies: 2
Views: 4743
Last post November 12, 2007, 02:47:14 PM
by deemessingup
Kenmore/Whirlpool Front loading washer