Author Topic: Dishwasher Not Heating Water  (Read 2631 times)

Offline Carbo

• VIP Member
Dishwasher Not Heating Water
« on: August 01, 2009, 08:33:41 AM »
The unit in question is a 7 year old Kenmore. I first noticed the problem about six weeks ago, when opening the door to empty the dishwasher and there was still some powdered soap in the soap cup. Since then, this has been a constant. The soap is never fully incorporated into the wash cycle. Not only that, as time has passed the amount of soap remaining in the cup has grown. Meaning, less and less soap is being used, with the result being the dishes arenít coming out clean any longer. Iíve checked to be sure the cup is always fully opened and it is. Iíve changed brands of powdered soap but still the results are the same. I have even tried different wash cycles but still the soap remains and the dishware isnít being cleaned very well.
I have tried adding water before the main wash cycle begins, thinking the level might be too low due to a bad water inlet valve. Didn't help, valve OK.
Then I tested the water temp and, sure enough, it is only 110 degrees, probably about 25 degrees too cool. The hot water at the tap is also 110, meaning the dishwasher, which has a built in water heater, isn't working. If my assessment of this is correct, can someone tell me what's involved in repairing the unit? Or should I scrap it and buy a new one?
Thank you.

Model 665.15899100

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Dishwasher Not Heating Water
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 06:19:06 PM »
I hate dishwashers. The soap dispenser probably needs replacement. I have sold a lot of them over the years. Why not just dump the soap into the dishwasher tub? Water is constantly pumped from the tub to the dishes all during the wash cycle. Do you really NEED to have your dispenser do the job?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 06:21:13 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Carbo

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 06:26:02 PM »
The strange thing is, the soap dispenser is open, but the soap isn't being flushed out.  So I don't know what the heck is going on.  ???
I know the water isn't hot enough for the dishwasher to do its job, but I would think even cool water would wash the soap out of the dispenser.
I have a suspicion that Sears will soon be the beneficiary of my own personal stimulus plan.  >:(

Online RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 06:52:33 PM »
Sounds to me like the spray arms aren't turning .That would explain the undissolved soap in the open dispenser  . maybe your filter is plugged or the small holes in the spray arms are blocked . I would clean the spray arms and use a delimer and delime the dishwasher before buying a new machine .

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 06:55:12 PM »
Yeah that ciculatory pump could be going out or full of food particles not allowing fer the propah flow of water up to the washer arms. Have ye tried removing the screen and giving it a good scrub?
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Carbo

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 06:56:32 PM »
I checked the spray arms for blocked holes, but they all appear to be completely open and clean.  
What filter are you referring to?  I'll readily give it a look.

Online RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 07:13:41 PM »
I'm not familiar with this model but most d/w have a filter under the lower wash arm support . I would remove the lower arm and wash arm support or cover and see if there is a filter . If so clean it . If its plugged no water will get to the spray arms

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 07:18:34 PM »
You know how them commercials for maytag dishwasher are: The big guy puts a whole cake in the dishwasher and like magic the cake is all gone. Well that gives folks the impression that a dishwasher is a disposal. No need to scrape any dishes. I had a friend bring me his dishwasher full of shrimp shells can you imagine that?
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Carbo

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 07:28:15 PM »
I guess the next step is to give that filter a look.  I'll let you what I find.  Thanks, gents.

Offline Carbo

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 08:27:54 PM »
I tried removing the lower spray arm but I'll be damned if I know how.  It looks simple enough, but I can't budge the nut.  :embarassed:  Any hints?

Offline Carbo

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 06:11:10 PM »
Did some more kicking around today, including just running the unit through its normal load.
Unfortunately, same old, same old.  Soap dish opens fine, but the soap isn't being hit with water.  Looking closely, I suspect that the top sprayer arm isn't working because the top rack dishes seemed to be relatively dry and certainly not cleaned.
If this is correct, is this repairable?  Thank you.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 07:53:35 PM »
I have never even seen this machine but their was a thread last week about this same thang. Could not get the dang bottom arm off. I know I saw it.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Carbo

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 07:57:47 PM »
JW, I don't think I need to tinker with the lower spray arm, after all.  See my post above.  The problem seems to be the upper arm.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 10:42:49 PM »
Your water pressure is what the probo is. With the screen clogged the pump cannot get enough water up there to be effective.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 10:45:04 PM »
The circulatory pump is compromised with a restricted water flow from a blocked food particle screen.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

LG Dishwasher not heating

Started by Caddy4343

Replies: 14
Views: 9923
Last post January 21, 2009, 06:34:21 AM
by Al Capone
Frigidaire Dishwasher - Does not fill with water.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3994
Last post January 15, 2008, 06:32:02 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Dishwasher - Does not pump the water out.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 7384
Last post January 17, 2008, 10:34:53 PM
by AJ
whirlpool dishwasher wont spray water

Started by lsparkie

Replies: 16
Views: 8624
Last post March 02, 2008, 06:38:52 PM
by JWWebster
Kitchenaid Dishwasher not Filling with Water