Author Topic: Blower won't stop....sometimes Old fedders updarft  (Read 3963 times)

Offline chiknstik

• VIP Member
Blower won't stop....sometimes Old fedders updarft
« on: July 31, 2009, 11:12:30 PM »
Ok Icehouse, JW, and Repair-man, here's one fer ya:
I have a 70's era Fedders updraft gas furnace with split AC coil on top (Its in a rental, and I didn't get the number off it this afternoon, sorrry).  In Arkansas.  (temperate weather) Last winter had an issue with blower re-start after furnace shut down.  Adjusted the fan/limit blower off temp down from 100 to 90 degrees.  Problem solved, for then.
Summer problem-sometimes the blower won't stop.  My tenant works odd hours, and every other day is gone for 12-16 hours, so he sets the thermostat up to 82 degrees.  Then, when he comes in (around 2AM) he sets the temp down to 76.  When he does this, about every other time, the system will cool down to set temp, shut off outside condenser unit, but keep blower running.  Cyclying the fan auto/run switch does nothing.  Turn the Cool/off/heat swith to off will not stop blower.
Blower will eventually stop, then system cycles normally, until he's gone for extended period. Then, it may do it again.  Sometimes it doesn't.  Have changed the thermostat, checked for control voltage outside at contactor (26v), checked all wire connections at furnace, tight and clean.  No electronic boards. Fan/limit control is clean and all connections tight.  I can't find a relay for the blower.  Does anybody know if there is one?  Where?  Anybody have a wiring diagram?  If there was one, its apparently long gone.
I'm not a pro, just been at this rental gig a long time. (Do have EPA card for refrigerants.)
Thanks for any ideas.
Don't force it. Get the BIG hammer.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Blower won't stop....sometimes
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 11:26:37 PM »
Maybe a bad wall thermistat or a RELAY PROBLEM
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline chiknstik

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 11:29:42 PM »
Like I said, have replaced the thermostat with new digital one.  Can't find a blower relay, but I did read your reply to the guy whose blower won't run, and will look again, after seeing your pics.

Offline chiknstik

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 12:22:42 AM »
Weeeell...no other iddeas?  No problem, I figured it out.  Good old Fedders hid the blower relay in the blower compartment, on the underside of the the top panel.  Had to get down on my belly and shine a flashlight up following the motor wires to see it.  Don't ask about getting it out and replaced, but I did last Friday.  So far, no more blower run-on.  Looks like that was it. :D

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 12:25:09 AM »
Glad to hear you got it repaired.  O0

Thanks for the update.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 11:42:21 AM »
All you had to do was take 2 bolts loose and slide the blower out. Glad ye got er dun!!! LOL
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

AC Blower Wiring Questions

Started by billnc

Replies: 6
Views: 16876
Last post June 18, 2008, 11:43:13 PM
by JWWebster
blower motor conversion

Started by hvacapprenticein

Replies: 5
Views: 6116
Last post July 20, 2008, 02:46:48 PM
by JWWebster
Blower motor is... blown

Started by Alcaeus

Replies: 7
Views: 5990
Last post November 01, 2008, 11:13:39 PM
by Alcaeus
Lennox G26 Combustion Air Blower Part Number?

Started by AJ

Replies: 11
Views: 15650
Last post March 09, 2010, 01:18:59 PM
by whodatis67
fedders out side ac units

Started by fullerdan27

Replies: 5
Views: 2548
Last post May 29, 2009, 08:29:58 PM
by Icehouse
Compressor Runs-Blower motor doesn't