Author Topic: little green wire on my washer  (Read 1684 times)

Offline jomercer

• VIP Member
little green wire on my washer
« on: July 31, 2009, 01:06:15 PM »
I have a kenmore washer that could date back to the late 60s or early 70s. I noticed today that a thin wire with green insulation is loosely looped around the cold water shutoff handle, but the other end is not attached to the washer--to which I presume it should be attached.

The washer plugs into a regular outlet, not GFCI. Is this a problem? How do I fix it?

Offline evo100

• VIP Member
Re: little green wire on my washer
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 02:18:51 PM »

I have a kenmore washer that could date back to the late 60s or early 70s. I noticed today that a thin wire with green insulation is loosely looped around the cold water shutoff handle, but the other end is not attached to the washer--to which I presume it should be attached.

The washer plugs into a regular outlet, not GFCI. Is this a problem? How do I fix it?

GFCI is not required for the washing machine circuit. You probably have a two prong plug with the ground running separate. It should be attached to the washer metal back. Look for a green screw. Also the washer should be on a 20amp circuit by itself.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 02:21:06 PM »
That green wire is extra insurance to keep you from getting bit by mr shocktricity. Connect it to the frame of the old washer.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline evo100

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 02:25:36 PM »

GFCI is not required for the washing machine circuit. You probably have a two prong plug with the ground running separate. It should be attached to the washer metal back. Look for a green screw. Also the washer should be on a 20amp circuit by itself. Also that gound should be clamped on that water pipe and be at least # 12 awg copper wire.

Maytag washer grinding/wire dragging on metal noise but inner tub won't come out

Started by markq

Replies: 2
Views: 3593
Last post February 20, 2009, 10:40:39 AM
by markq
GE top loader washer just makes a click on motor a green light blinks

Started by ivantorr22

Replies: 0
Views: 2073
Last post June 17, 2009, 07:12:02 PM
by ivantorr22
The nortorious broken wire on MVWC450XW2 WASHER

Started by gregaguilar

Replies: 2
Views: 637
Last post December 09, 2013, 09:14:13 PM
by nolazach
GE Washer - All green annunciator lights blinking

Started by BoBenedict

Replies: 3
Views: 392
Last post May 15, 2014, 11:23:35 PM
by BoBenedict
Maytag Neptune washer MAH4000AWW

Started by Sue

Replies: 8
Views: 7910
Last post February 09, 2013, 07:41:01 AM
by def
Frigidaire Front Load washer making noise.

Started by curtis

Replies: 3
Views: 7189
Last post July 05, 2007, 09:25:04 PM
by AJ