Author Topic: GE Washer - Won't spin, doesn't fill (sometimes)  (Read 3275 times)

Offline Welder19518

• VIP Member
GE Washer - Won't spin, doesn't fill (sometimes)
« on: July 29, 2009, 12:56:59 AM »
Trying to identify the one part that could fail and cause multiple problems at one time.  Approx 3 year old GE washer, worked fine until last week.  Now all at once:

1. Water level switch doesn't always seem to "work" (regardless of setting it to small, medium, large, or extra large, it seems to always fill to "large" water level).

2. In final spin cycle, it drains but doesn't spin.  It does seem to spin in the intermediate cycle though (when ejecting soapy water, prior to filling with clean water for the rinse cycle).

3. It sometimes doesn't fill with clean water for the rinse cycle, but it agitates like it thinks it filled.  It's agitating, but there's no water in the tub.

I'm assuming the unit's timer would be the likely candidate for explaining how all three of these issues cropped at once?

This was not an expensive washer (under $400), but given that it's only 3 years old, I can't see replacing it if a $75 timer will fix it.

Are all GE's this bad or did I just get unlucky?  I got 17 years out of the old Kenmore it replaced.....

Thanks!
Model WHDSR315DAWW

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: GE Washer - Won't spin, doesn't fill (sometimes)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 06:34:46 AM »
Seems to be a problem with the pressure switch or the airline tubing connecting it to the lower tub. I generally open the top and remove the airline from the control, blowing forcefully down the line to clear any obstruction. Follow up with a washer cleanout to  dissolve the residues behind the spin tub.  See if this works.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: GE Washer - Won't spin, doesn't fill (sometimes)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 01:36:19 PM »
And yes this particular washer  sucks
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Roper washer agitates, but doesn't spin

Started by dragonlady74

Replies: 4
Views: 4624
Last post June 02, 2008, 04:40:17 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool washer - will not fill after spin cycle, starts agitating without wate

Started by tomaszkr

Replies: 7
Views: 4764
Last post January 18, 2009, 06:01:17 PM
by JWWebster
GE washer doesn't want to spin

Started by northofhades

Replies: 5
Views: 2376
Last post June 27, 2009, 08:31:14 PM
by JWWebster
Washer doesn't spin

Started by Meg267

Replies: 9
Views: 2776
Last post August 07, 2009, 05:25:57 PM
by whirlpooltech
Whirlpool Washer doesn't spin, agitate, or drain?

Started by Tropix

Replies: 13
Views: 7687
Last post August 07, 2009, 11:10:39 PM
by JWWebster
Frigidaire Top-Load washer agitates, drains, but doesn't spin

Started by Karl42

Replies: 6
Views: 7383
Last post September 11, 2009, 09:53:19 PM
by BrntToast