Author Topic: Moisture sensor  (Read 1759 times)

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
Moisture sensor
« on: July 22, 2009, 07:36:48 PM »
 I need a lesson in moisture sensors. How to test them.

Model 110.67622600

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Moisture sensor
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 07:59:18 PM »
Basically, this type of moisture sensor (2 metal bars) is merely a pathway to ground for the timer circuit or electronic control. You'll notice that one of the wires to the sensor  comes from the control, the other is a green ground wire to the front bulkhead.

When a damp load contacts the 2 bars, there is a temporary short to ground created. This causes the resistance to decrease from the timer motor and go toward ground, causing the timer motor to stall briefly. In total electronic units, the control counts the frequency of contact with the damp load and will not turn off the dryer until there are no more wet touches across the sensor bars. The electronic control looks at the input from the moisture sensor to see if the clothes are wet or dry. The moisture sensor will show continuity (short) if the clothes are wet and show NO continuity (open)if the clothes are dry. If the clothes are wet, the Triac on the electronic control board will block power to the timer motor, and the timer motor will not advance.
If the clothes are dry or there are no clothes in the dryer the Triac on the electronic control board will allow power to flow to the timer motor causing it to advance. During the last 10 minutes of the Regular Cycle, (the last 15 minutes of the Permanent Press Cycle) and any Timed Dry Cycle, Timer Switch 0 will be closed. This will allow the timer motor to advance regardless of the condition at the moisture sensor. Timer Switch 0 bypasses the electronic control.

Did this help?

What is the nature of the problem on this model?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 08:04:28 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 09:20:04 PM »
If too much fabric softener or various items gum up the sensors the capacitance will not be read correctly and resulting in continuous running equipment.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 05:23:03 AM »
If too much fabric softener or various items gum up the sensors the capacitance will not be read correctly and resulting in continuous running equipment.

There is no "capacitance", and if the sensor could not be sensed the dryer would shut off too soon, leaving a damp load.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 10:58:57 AM »
Well the one I was thinking of mounts inside the drum underneith the filter and measures the electrical resistance through the clothes to the dryer drum. As moisture is removed from the clothes, the resistance increases for a precise dryness level.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 02:02:23 PM »
 I was troubleshooting a no heat problem. All the thermostats and the heating element were good. It turned out to be a bad breaker. The heater was only getting 90 volts.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 06:03:17 AM »
I was troubleshooting a no heat problem. All the thermostats and the heating element were good. It turned out to be a bad breaker. The heater was only getting 90 volts.

Something tells me that if you had mentioned this the first post we could have saved a discertation on moisture sensors :)

Moisture Sensor / Automatic Dry cycle?

Started by thewavgod

Replies: 1
Views: 1494
Last post May 09, 2011, 12:18:33 PM
by Repair-man
Whirlpool gas dryer moisture sensor problem

Started by rebeccawallace

Replies: 1
Views: 2582
Last post December 21, 2009, 05:25:21 PM
by jumptrout51
is it the sensor

Started by deb5734

Replies: 3
Views: 1338
Last post February 27, 2009, 10:44:47 AM
by JWWebster
Neptune Drier's flame drops out after 3 minutes or so... Flame sensor?

Started by Will Webster

Replies: 4
Views: 2418
Last post July 04, 2009, 05:52:57 AM
by Repair-man
Neptune Auto Sensor Dry not working properly

Started by Washaman

Replies: 14
Views: 4076
Last post November 05, 2010, 05:04:46 PM
by melanchete
Whirlpool Gas Dryer: How to test the flame sensor and gas burner coils