Author Topic: Admiral dryer makes loud noise at times, sounds like bearing or metal on metal  (Read 9167 times)

Offline PHAT PATT

• VIP Member
ELEC. DRYER RUNS FOR 3 - 5 MINUTES, THEN SOUNDS LIKE METAL ON METAL BRAKE PAD SQUEAL. THEN NO SOUND, FOR 3 - 5 MINUTE THEN REPEATS SOUND FOR 30 SECONDS.  wHAT IS IT????  HELP!  THANKS

Model ADE7005AYW

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
That is the glides wearing out on the front under the drum. The glides support the drum. They are smooth plastic. Over time they wear out like  brak pads on a car. Very easy to repair. Heads up: while you is fixing them glides be sure to oil the wheels and Idler, remove the lint and make sure the blower wheel is tight on the motor shaft. Check out this here maytag repair page:
http://sites.google.com/site/sublimeappliancerepair/washer-will-not-spin/agitator-woes/dryer-will-not-work/how-do-i-get-inside-my-dryer/gas-dryer-quits-heating/more-gas-dryer-enlightenment/gallery-of-dryer-parts-locations-and-diagrams/frigidaire-gibson-kelvanator-dryer-101/kenmore-whirlpool-englis-roper-dryer-notes/ge-dryer-repair/maytag-norge-amana-crosley-basic-repair-info
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 10:23:43 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline PHAT PATT

• VIP Member
Thanks.  Where do you suggest I order the parts?  In the mean time, and with your photos from your site, I was able to break down the dryer, clean the lint, lubricate the rollers and replace the plastic vent w/ a flexible fire resistive metal exhaust pipe. Thanks for the tips!    I also noticed a small felt pad about the size of a small band aid in the bottom of the dryer.  Where  did this come from, and do I need it?  Do you have the part # for the glides and felt pads for replacement please?  Thanks again.  I'll keep you posted as to my progress.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
Looks like the dryer you have has a couple of brackets on the front drum support. The pad sits on the bracket and the glide sits atop the pad held down with screws. All the parts seem to be really cheap on this repair.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 10:21:11 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
It was fairly tough to see what i am talking about IF you have never taken a look at these parts. Appliance parts pros shows them as the screw (part1) the pad (part2) the glide(part3) and the support (part4). You gotta put yer model number in the window "ENTER MODEL NUMBER"
that fearless leader has provided to yer left. And then pick the 3rd or 4th diagram. i can't remember, I am brain dead. Anyway the diagram is not too good but like I said parts 1,2,3,and 4.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
I can ID any part but these web sites don't play fair. They do not use maytag part numbers. They use their own system so that i cannot tell you what the part number is. If you post pictures though i can tell you from memory what they are. because I am an appliance parts monkey. Among other adjectives I have been called. I know part numbers and i know parts from memory and that is why they fail to post a picture of a common part on their websites, it is because I can redily recognize any part and find a cheaper one anywhere in the world. Don't tell nobody. ::)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 10:28:18 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
Does it look like this:
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Felt Pad-

Held in place by these-
Drum Glide (37001298)

"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
Good pictures Jimbo.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline PHAT PATT

• VIP Member
Thanks again!!!  Project complete.  Eazy fix.   Dryer now runs nice & quiet.  It was the glides, as JW suggested.  Purchased 2 glide "kits" locally today from FOX ATLANTA.  Good folks. Set me back a whole $15 + the oil from ACE you recommended.   THANKS AGAIN!!!  I'LL BE BACK next appliance crisis.  Now off to the Gulf Coast for some fishin..... O0

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
 :cheers: :banana: :pint1: yea!!! glad ye got it all kosher.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Prodigy dryer makes metal scraping noise after one load

Started by Jaytag

Replies: 9
Views: 4827
Last post March 16, 2011, 10:42:28 AM
by Jaytag
Dryer makes a scrape metal noise.

Started by Cliff10

Replies: 3
Views: 2073
Last post June 26, 2014, 04:24:02 PM