Author Topic: Whirlpool Ultimate Care II Dryer  (Read 2583 times)

Offline imzjustplayin

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Ultimate Care II Dryer
« on: June 26, 2009, 12:11:21 AM »
My Dryer before I started to work on it squealed almost continuously. I believe I correctly assessed that the problem is the support rollers and so I bought the maintenance kit for the dryer. When looking at the drum in relation to the bulkhead (back of dryer), I noticed that the little seal would get pinched and un-pinched as you turn the drum.

So I removed the old stuff, followed the kit, oiled up the supports and the wheels, replaced the wheels, replaced the belt, replaced the idler pulley with one that has a wheel, and then put everything back to where it was. Problem is, when I turn the drum, it is still moving from front to back almost cyclically despite replacing the support wheels which go on the support shaft. So before I installed these support wheels, I noticed that the shaft in one part looked a little scored but smooth and aside from that I didn't think too much of it because a replacement shaft wasn't part of the kit. So now I'm wondering, would that little scoring on the shaft(s) be the cause of the drum as you roll it move from front to back? It's either moving front to back or this drum is slightly angled and it just appears that way due to being unbalanced. I believe it was this very motion that caused the dryer to squeal continuously and therefore cause me to work on it.

Model LE18800JQ1

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Whirlpool Ultimate Care II Dryer
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 06:16:30 AM »
The drum is supposed to move slightly front to back, especially if you are turning it by hand. What really matters is how it turns with a load in it and the belt installed. (You can  watch it with the top panel open)

If the shafts of the rollers are pitted, they need to be sanded very well with Emery cloth before you  install the new rollers. Also, add a couple of drops of Turbine oil to each shaft, including the idler.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 06:18:37 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline imzjustplayin

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 01:54:38 PM »
Um well the rollers aren't pitted but they're smooth however I was thinking that this slight uneven grinding would possibly on a small scale make it unevenly worn down. Why would the drum move slightly front to back? Before I replaced the support wheels, I noticed on what I recall to be the one that supports most of the load looked like it wobbled. I mean if you spun it, you could see the track move around like it had been deformed into that position, so that coupled with a slightly wornout shaft and that could be what is causing this but I don't know..

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 04:31:05 PM »
Sorry, I don't go into Top Secret material on a free forum :)

You can look up the dryer and buy the shafts separately if you're concerned. They bolt on from behind.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 06:50:28 PM »
Well then we may never know in that case. :D The turbine oil he speaks of is a temp resistant one used in all pro repair shops:
Zoomspout oil.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline imzjustplayin

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 01:11:07 AM »
Well then we may never know in that case. :D The turbine oil he speaks of is a temp resistant one used in all pro repair shops:
Zoomspout oil.
The oil I used was apparently not a good idea, so I took the thing apart again and re-oiled it with lithium grease, was this a good idea? I replaced one of the shafts but stopped on the second one when I realized that the replacement was in worse shape than the current one. Also I think I figured out what would cause the drum to move back in forth. The rear seal seems to be worn out and has lint on it, possibly causing it to be thicker in some areas than others.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 11:21:47 AM »
Lithium grease is good.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Video: How to check voltage at cord on a Whirlpool electric dryer.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 8977
Last post August 06, 2007, 05:57:19 PM
by AJ
Video: How to take your Whirlpool dryer apart to replace parts & remove lint

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 21314
Last post August 16, 2007, 06:02:43 PM
by AJ
How to replace Whirlpool Dryer Motor.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 8152
Last post January 15, 2009, 08:13:09 PM
by AJ
whirlpool dryer gew9250PW1

Started by rclarkco

Replies: 1
Views: 4328
Last post December 16, 2007, 01:17:43 PM
by Pegi
Whirlpool Dryer - Run, but does not heat.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 3416
Last post January 10, 2014, 12:26:55 PM
by fairbank56
whirlpool dryer metal on metal sounds?

Started by amnesty

Replies: 5
Views: 5836
Last post May 16, 2009, 01:10:38 PM
by mr_fixit