Author Topic: 7 month old Whirlpool water leak problem  (Read 1950 times)

Offline neustkg

• VIP Member
7 month old Whirlpool water leak problem
« on: June 26, 2009, 01:48:09 PM »
Just bought this thing last November.  I'm wondering if I got a lemon as I had to call for service for the ice maker after 2 months (so far, that's working OK now).

Current problem is a random water leak.  Happens very fast, too.  I'll walk by the fridge and the floor is dry.  Maybe an hour later, there will be a puddle of water in the front of the fridge (maybe about a half to one cup of water in volume).  This has happened 3x now in one month.  Every time it happens, I take the bottom cover off to figure out where the leak is coming from.  It looks like it's coming from the defrost drip tray, maybe to the right of that tray.  But every time, it's definitely coming from under the fridge.  Every time, I'll lay a towel down in front to sop up the water and take it away after 10 minutes.  No leaking after that until the next episode.  

I've had two different service companies (both contracted out by Whirlpool) out and neither can find the problem.  For the first time it leaked a month ago, the first company sent someone who barely looked under the fridge.  Since there was no leak, he decided not to look any further.  The second time it leaked was Tuesday of this week.  The second company that came out was much better, but he still couldn't find the problem.  He looked under, took the back cover off and looked back there, checking for valve leaks, etc.  He did give me a few ideas and places to look.  He thought it might be coming from the ice dispenser (we keep it on crushed ice and some of the ice accumulates in the area above the dispenser in the door).  I did tell him that I've never noticed water running down the front of the door under the dispenser, so I didn't think it was that problem.  I told him I suspected it might be an intermittent problem w/the defrost cycle and he thought there was a chance it might be a problem there, too.  The day he came out, the refrigerator leaked again in the evening.  Too bad it couldn't have happened while he was there.  

Basically, it's a fairly big leak, but it kind of gushes then stops for a while.  It's definitely not from ice that might have dropped on the floor below the dispenser.  Too much water for that.

Anyone ever see a similar problem w/a side by side fridge (w/water and ice dispenser--even though I don't think this is causing the problem)?

Model ED5VHEXVQ00

Offline TJW

• VIP Member
Re: 7 month old Whirlpool water leak problem
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 06:31:38 PM »
I have the same model. Ice chips do fall to the floor on occasion, and if itís a larger cube that stays on the tray, there is no drain for it. One thing I found on a service call for the same complaint as yours was the water line that you can find coming up next to bottom hinge of freezer door, had a small crack in it. Put a folded up paper towel under it and look for a damp spot to show up there. Maybe look for the leak when opening and closing freezer door. Hopefully the technician already ruled that out. Not on my list of fun repairs.

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
Re: 7 month old Whirlpool water leak problem
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 06:47:05 PM »
Check to see if the Defrost Drain, under the Freezer Evaporator,
is iced-up or plugged...

You may need a hair dryer to defrost it.

Then pour a little hot water down that Drain..

Then maybe a flexible (stranded, electrical) wire...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 06:49:53 PM by RegUS_PatOff »
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Video: How To Replace a Water Pump On A Whirlpool Made Direct Drive Washer

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 8697
Last post August 10, 2007, 08:42:54 PM
by AJ
Video: Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer Water Pump Clean Out.

Started by AJ

Views: 6790
Last post November 28, 2007, 09:58:47 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Washer Keeps Filling with Water

Started by TechnicianBrian

Views: 2524
Last post April 14, 2008, 10:04:51 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Whirlpool Washer Fills Hot Water Only