Forum > Range, Oven & Cooktop Repair

Spark Lid-top Range

(1/1)

darnoldy:
Folks-

I am looking for information on Spark lid-top gas ranges (mine is a 1929 model). they were manufactured by the Hammer-Bray company of Oakland, CA. From my research, it seems that the company was in business (not necessarily the appliance business) until the 1970s.

--don

theoldstoveguy:
SPARKS ? What info. are you looking for? I have repaired quite a few of them. Parts are difficult to locate but there are parts out there.

darnoldy:

--- Quote from: theoldstoveguy on January 17, 2008, 10:21:07 PM ---What info. are you looking for?
--- End quote ---
Well, to start with, one of the burners is not lighting properly from the pilot--I'm sure its just a maintenance issue, but I don't know what I'm looking at.

Second, the burners seem to have a limited range of flame size--I was wondering if that can be corrected by adjusting something.

Thirdly, the oven thermostat seems to have issues--I'm wondering if that can be replaced or adjusted. Or if it can be replaced by a newer type.

Is it possible to get copies of a repair manual?

--don

theoldstoveguy:
NO MANUALS AVAIL.The thermostat may still be something that can be rebuilt,depending on the type. If you have pics to send I can probably help you through most of it. Burner troubles are mostly air gas mixture related & the burners on most were adjustable. Unless someone converted the orfices to a fixed setting.Simply by unscrewing the orfice nut @ the manifold (burner slips over them,brass, round with 9/16 or 1/2 inch nut @ valve )Most don't need more than 1/2 turn will make a big difference. Hope that helps. Most basic stove service manuals give a picture to convert stoves to LP. You do the opposite to get a larger flame.

darnoldy:

--- Quote from: theoldstoveguy on January 23, 2008, 09:27:47 AM ---NO MANUALS AVAIL.
--- End quote ---
I figured--never hurts to ask tho.

--- Quote ---The thermostat may still be something that can be rebuilt,depending on the type. If you have pics to send I can probably help you through most of it.
--- End quote ---
I'll take some photos.

--- Quote ---Simply by unscrewing the orfice nut @ the manifold (burner slips over them,brass, round with 9/16 or 1/2 inch nut @ valve )
--- End quote ---
I think I know what you're talking about. I will look this weekend!

Thanks for your help!

--don

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version