Author Topic: Noisy frig runs a lot!  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Jusula

• VIP Member
Noisy frig runs a lot!
« on: June 20, 2009, 10:57:48 AM »
We bought a Whirlpool frig from Lowe's last year. When we got it, we were amazed at how quiet it was! Especially compared to our old clunker. Well within a few months it got noisier and noisier. They came out and replaced the evaporator. That helped for a period of time and then the thing started making more and more noise and seems to run often. The sound is akin to the idling sound of a semi truck, if that makes any sense. A tech was here a month ago; tested the temp and said it was running a bit cold and that could cause to run more often. We could replace that for $275 (gasp). He also said the motor could be noisy cause its causing its little housing to vibrate. We decided to try and live with it. But I am concerned how often it runs. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Model ET1FTEXST

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Noisy frig runs a lot!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 07:53:34 PM »
That motor on the bottom is in cahoots with that pump and coil. All of them have to be all propah to get the equation to equalize. You done seen dat one aint you? If  a hen and a half beats up ahen and a half in a week nd a halfe how many eggs can dat puppy lay in an assumed amount of time or a preset detiminatinom? In other words if the coil is blocked with dust and the fan is slow and the pump is weak then all of these prblems will be present.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 07:56:07 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Jusula

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 09:27:21 PM »
Thanks for responding JW--
Sooooo to get all the parts working propah, as you say, you recommend that we need to do what exactly .... (as Schultz used to say on Hogan's Heroes, I know nu-thing!)

Offline TJW

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 09:45:42 PM »
I donít know what Whirlpoolís warranty is these days, but they used to warranty the sealed system for 5 years. That covers the compressor, condenser, and evaporator. They also hated to have unhappy consumers. Not being able to hear it myself, first check and see if the noise isnít coming from either fan motor. Make sure the evaporator fan isnít hitting ice and causing the racket, or the condenser fan groaning.  Make sure the condenser is clean. Locate where the noise is coming from before you call them. I doubt they will foot the bill if itís a part out of warranty. If none of the above applies, I'd lean toward the sealed system. That fridge should have many years of good quiet service ahead. Definitely get a different technician this time. That one sounded too lazy to dig in and find the problem.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 10:19:48 PM »
Just check that fan for operation and open the coils fer propah air flow. If all is good and you continue to have problems take a look at the compressor relay. A lot of them mexi-asian, soute merika-tronics have been recalled  :D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 10:24:03 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

kenmore frig.

Started by steffaniemt

Replies: 1
Views: 2240
Last post September 07, 2007, 10:58:04 PM
by AJ
Roper refrigerator Model RT18AKXKQ05 with water dripping into frig

Started by ecurb13

Replies: 5
Views: 7113
Last post December 30, 2007, 12:22:09 AM
by AJ
Noisy whirlpool refrigerator

Started by bigdave

Replies: 7
Views: 8124
Last post June 10, 2008, 08:21:47 AM
by bigdave
NM11 Northland frig help

Started by outaluck

Replies: 2
Views: 1722
Last post September 13, 2008, 08:00:43 AM
by outaluck
FRIG. STOPPED WORKING

Started by 64ragtop

Replies: 9
Views: 3679
Last post November 29, 2008, 09:34:38 AM
by Icehouse
Evap fan noisy and bogging and poss no defrost?

Started by jlardino

Replies: 12
Views: 3591
Last post December 11, 2008, 09:54:21 AM
by jlardino