Author Topic: Dryer pye3300ayw doesn't run  (Read 3754 times)

Offline 66ford

• VIP Member
Dryer pye3300ayw doesn't run
« on: August 30, 2009, 05:25:42 PM »
Dryer won't run. I have power at the machine, power at the motor. door switch has continuity when closed. At the heating element The hi temp thermostat? had continuity. The thermal fuse on heating element has continuity but not like the thermostat, about 1/2 way on my cheapo meter. I notice there's a kit that has two thermal fuses and the thermostat but I can't find the 2nd one. Any guidance here would be appreciated. When this happened my wife said she smelled either rubber or electrical and turned it off then it wouldn't turn back on. the motor turns freely.Thanks

Model pye3300ayw

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Dryer pye3300ayw doesn't run
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 07:41:38 PM »
That kit has a large 250 disk that mounts above the heater and 2 smaller ones that are color coded fer gas er electric dryers. One is a 300 deg and the other is a 250 deg stat. On the gas dryer it kills the gas assembly but the dryer will still run However on the electric model if that small fuse opens then the dryer will NOT run. Confused yet? LOL
CHECK THIS OUT REPAIR PIX!!!!

DEAD DRYER FUSE LOCATIONS
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 07:47:42 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 07:49:47 PM »
... power at the motor....
With the Dryer Cycle ON
check voltage across:

White to Orange = 120v

White to Purple = 120v while Start Button is being pushed

PYE3300AYW Wiring Diagram
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline 66ford

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 04:44:55 AM »
I will check the voltages tonight, thanks. When I checked that small fuse on the side of the element for continuity it doesn't peg the meter, is that okay? could it partially blow? Thanks
                                      Charlie

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 05:38:57 AM »
Sounds like you gots meter issues. Thermal fuses either have continuity (full) or not. Be sure to check the power cord where it attaches, since your wife smelled something hot. A loosely installed cord will present like this.

The thermal fuse kit has a large disc for over the element and two thermal fuses, one with a pink dot for gas, the other with a yellow dot for electric units. You would only use the yellow one and the large disc in your case.

Thermal Kit- click

Note to JW:
This is not like the Whirlpool dryers...both thermal fuses will shut  down the motor if open. The large disc contrls the heater.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 05:44:05 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 08:41:35 AM »
Good to know that Jimbo.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline 66ford

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 07:26:56 PM »
Okay nothing when I checked between solid white and orange or white to purple with the button pushed. I do have power at the purple wire with the button is pushed when 1 probe is on the purple and the other is on the motor case, same with the orange to case without the button being pushed. All the wires at the terminal are tight. I checked that thermal fuse again with a digital meter. The big fuse went down to 00.0 and the small fuse reads 02.9, I apologize for not knowing the proper electrical terminology.

Offline 66ford

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 08:10:17 PM »
Okay, just figured it out. That small thermal fuse is the culprit. I unplugged it and jumped the wires together, plugged it in and everything works. I'll order one right now, Thanks.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 08:23:38 PM »
Hopefully the repair will go smoother than your diagnosis :)

Tip:
Remove the screw holding the large disc first, then remove the long screw holding down the heater bracket on the right. Lift the heater up and out of the housing. The thermal fuse is mounted on a small tab tucked into the side of the heater housing and lifts out. The eaiest way to install the new fuse is to position it in the little bracket, then attach the 2 white wires so you can guide it more easily into the slot. There's not much room for fingers there as it is, so the wires will help you hold it while you place the heater and long screw back in. Be sure the long screw also goes into the tab on the fuse plate when you tighten it down. Also, be sure and replace the large disc before you put it back together.

Don't forget the vent thing...if you don't have the right exhaust on it, the fuse will blow again soon. Maytag dryers must not have thin foil duct. As of yet, we still do not know what gave off the burning odor your wife mentioned.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 08:26:39 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 10:32:24 PM »
The main cause for that there fuse to blow would be a bad blower wheel or a big ball of lint in the filter housing. Have you checked that? If not then that fuse will continue to blow.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

IA84600 Inglis dryer doesn't heat

Started by RickT

Replies: 5
Views: 6093
Last post January 16, 2008, 04:02:42 PM
by JWWebster
dryer doesn't seem to get hot enough

Started by woods witch

Replies: 5
Views: 5407
Last post October 25, 2008, 08:29:09 PM