Author Topic: Maytag Neptune Something blows up inside  (Read 2485 times)

Offline ATMPTR

• VIP Member
Maytag Neptune Something blows up inside
« on: June 12, 2009, 12:30:39 PM »
My wife was using the dryer, and she heard some sound like "a light bulb blows up", then the machine stops working. The control panel totally black out, but if I open the door, the light inside still can turn on.

I suspect that maybe something like a thermal fuse was burnt? Since I know that Maytag got a fame on this Neptune brand, I hope anyone can give me an estimate on cost and severity about the problem; I am seriously considering replacing the dryer instead spending hundreds of dollars on it for repairing, unless I can fix it myself.

Model MDE800AZW

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Something blows up inside
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 12:35:36 PM »
A lot of them dryer get a ball of lint in the filter housing and that blower wheel is plastic in there. Over time it will begin to slip and take a long time for them clotes to dry.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 12:41:19 PM »
I ain't worked on one of them slopeheads in a while but I believe you take the door off first then the front shroud pops off. You can take some small clips off each side to get the top up and then remove the filter and drum glide housing so you can access the blower. The fuse I think mounts near the heating element. I an sure someone has a repair manual in this forum and post it fer ye. This dryer is fairly easy to repair. You will ahve to pardon my typing I burned my hand severely cooking some french frys for my elderly mother.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 12:42:50 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 01:05:19 PM »
Check your incoming power supply where the cord hooks to the terminal in the back of the dryer.
The "explosion" may have been a supply wire burned loose and shorted against the frame.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline ATMPTR

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 01:15:47 PM »
I ain't worked on one of them slopeheads in a while but I believe you take the door off first then the front shroud pops off. You can take some small clips off each side to get the top up and then remove the filter and drum glide housing so you can access the blower. The fuse I think mounts near the heating element. I an sure someone has a repair manual in this forum and post it fer ye. This dryer is fairly easy to repair. You will ahve to pardon my typing I burned my hand severely cooking some french frys for my elderly mother.

Thanks, JWWebster. This is very helpful info. I figure that I better check up the reason before I replace it, in case that's a power problem. Your typing is totally fine, I got what you mean.

Offline ATMPTR

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 01:21:31 PM »
Check your incoming power supply where the cord hooks to the terminal in the back of the dryer.
The "explosion" may have been a supply wire burned loose and shorted against the frame.
Checked the cord, the terminal and the plug board on wall, didn't find anything burnt.

Offline ATMPTR

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 01:23:10 PM »
oh, just found that I mistake the model name, it should be "Maytag Neptune MDE6800AZW". Missed a "6",  :D :D

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 04:01:44 PM »
Your dryer has 2 fuses. one is hidden behind the filter housing the other is visable. i believe thay look like this:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 04:03:39 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline ATMPTR

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 03:33:30 PM »
OK, it seems that I found the explosion.

In the power supply box, there are two black lines. Somehow they got burnt. I checked the control board, don't quite understand their connection and usage. Can you please give me a hand on this? I am curious of what has caused this explosion, whether any other damages could have been made by the explosion? Are they connecting to any of the fuses, how about those fuses?

Thanks in advance.

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 03:49:28 PM »
Your connections look loose on the incoming supply wire. Loose supply connections over time will get HOT and will burn in two. When the HOT connection shorts on the frame you get the explosion and tripped breaker.
Splice your wires, make sure all connections are good and tight. You may get lucky with no control damage.
This might help.http://www.servicematters.com/maytag_library/docs/16023110.pdf
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline ATMPTR

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 04:07:40 PM »
Your connections look loose on the incoming supply wire. Loose supply connections over time will get HOT and will burn in two. When the HOT connection shorts on the frame you get the explosion and tripped breaker.
Splice your wires, make sure all connections are good and tight. You may get lucky with no control damage.
This might help.http://www.servicematters.com/maytag_library/docs/16023110.pdf

Great! Thanks Jumptout51, you did point out the right direction. I'll check up.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 05:17:54 PM »
Wow that ain't a dryer, thats a dayum space shuttle.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

maytag neptune dryer is really noisy

Started by joy

Replies: 1
Views: 4121
Last post October 09, 2007, 07:43:45 AM
by AJ
Maytag Neptune Dryer 4000 noise

Started by sparky823

Replies: 14