Author Topic: Whirlpool Electric Dryer - doesn't get very warm  (Read 3054 times)

Offline GoldieGirl

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Electric Dryer - doesn't get very warm
« on: June 12, 2009, 10:10:20 AM »
Hi all-

I have a Whirlpool dryer (circa 1990 or so) that I bought used.  It's never been the most efficient dryer, but now after some outrageous utility bills I'm on a mission to fix it or replace it.  Since it doesn't dry well, I've been having to split loads in half and run them for a solid hour to get them dry.  My Dad gave me some ideas to look at (too bad he doesn't live not closer), and said that dryers aren't terribly complicated machines--there are only so many things that could break on them.

He had me cycle the dryer with the door open (holding down the door switch).  It looks like the element in the back of the dryer comes on for a few seconds (maybe half a minute?) when the dryer is first started, but then turns off and doesn't come back on.  I waited a good 4 or 5 minutes.  I was thinking thermostat at first, but in some of my reading saw that those aren't nearly as common a problem as the heating element itself.

Do you have any insight on what to replace?  If it was the heating element is it possible for only part of it to go bad?  I definitely see the coil glowing in the back of the dryer.  Everything else about the dryer works fine.  Thanks in advance!

Model LE5770XWW0

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Whirlpool Electric Dryer - doesn't get very warm
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 11:01:53 AM »
Remove the connecting vent from the rear of the dryer. Run a High heat Timed load at 50 minutes.
If it dries correctly, correct your exhaust vent problem and clean the lint internally from the dryer vent.. If not Replace the High limit thermostat.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 11:16:28 AM »
You also need to remove the filter housing from the machine and wash it out. Those housing get a ball of lint right at the opening from the drum and down in the blower wheel.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline GoldieGirl

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 11:29:47 AM »
Thanks very much!  Checking the vent was one of the first things I did... so I will order the part you suggest today.  Thanks again!!   ;D

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 12:28:19 PM »
This is a whirlpool dryer right? And it drys but not good? You don't need to buy any parts. You just need to break that dryer down and clean out everything. A man brought me a 4 month old dryer from his boarding house and told me it was not drying too good and could I do something. I yanked out the filter and it had NEVER been removed from the dryer since it was bought. I found out later the boarding house was a home for adult special needs people. None of them had a glue. I broke down the dryer and cleaned it up real good. Never replaced any parts and charged him 20 bucks. Advised him to school his peeps. Anybody else would have gotten a lot more money.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 12:32:23 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline GoldieGirl

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 12:36:30 PM »
I ordered the high limit thermostat and with shipping it was still under 20 bucks (HAPPY there!)

I think that when it does come time to replace it I will take the dryer outside and hose it down with the air gun.  You're right, I don't think it's ever had a thorough cleaning.  I've only had it for about 6 years, so who knows how it was treated prior to living with me.

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 01:02:32 PM »
Do the 50 minute timed dry test first with the vent removed from the rear.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline GoldieGirl

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 12:46:06 PM »
***UPDATE***

I replaced the high limit thermostat, while doing it I vacuumed out the back of everything well.  I watched it run and the element seemed to stay on longer.  Did a regular load of laundry (4 pairs of pants, 4 shirts) and it dried in about 60 mins.  Happy with that.

Started doing some laundry today and it seems like it's back to the way it used to be.  The element doesn't stay on very long (not more than a minute) and then turns off for a while.

We've checked and cleaned the vent and the vent pipe that goes up through our roof.

Any other ideas?  I'm wondering if there's not something going on to trip the thermostat? 

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 01:47:42 PM »
Did it dry the clothes ok?
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Video: How to check voltage at cord on a Whirlpool electric dryer.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 9164
Last post August 06, 2007, 05:57:19 PM
by AJ
3387747 Whirlpool Electric Dryer Heating Element

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 5092
Last post April 11, 2009, 11:12:02 AM
by AJ
KAL-7 Whirlpool Proline Front-Loading Gas and Electric Dryer Service Manual