Author Topic: How do I check Frigidaire washer timer?  (Read 4756 times)

Offline Lee

• VIP Member
How do I check Frigidaire washer timer?
« on: June 07, 2009, 10:57:19 PM »
I have the timer out of this Frigidaire FWS235RFS6 washer. The pump was not working. How do I check the timer to see if it is the timer and not the pump. Can I check the pump by using jumpers? Do I access the pump from the front?
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Lee

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: timer
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 11:18:30 PM »
Take your choice...you can apply voltage to the pump or just check for 120 volts at the 2 wires when the machine is supposed to be draining.

Why would you remove a timer if the pump was not working?

Put everything back in and just do a voltage check with your meter. You do have a meter, right?
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline Lee

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 11:36:36 PM »
The timer would not continue it's cycle when it came to the pump sequence.I removed the timer to check for continuity figuring that it might be bad contacts?.
If you could tell me pin numbers for the pump motor on the timer  I could check for continuity.
The timer came easily,10 minutes?Thought that would be the easiest to check first.
Lee

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 05:21:35 AM »
If you want help figuring this thing out, do it the way we recommend, please. After all, we see these machines on a daily basis and are trained on what to check and how. Regardless of how your mind perceives this situation, we don't remove the timer to check for a suspected bad pump. For that matter, we don't remove the timer to check the timer, either. It's all easily done with both components in place.

You can tell if the timer is bad simply by looking for voltage at the pump when the timer is set to spin and the unit is running. No voltage, bad timer. Voltage but no pumping, bad pump.

Timer contacts do not test well because they tend to open under a load, not while being tested on a bench. Voltage checks at the individual components are the easiest way to determine if the control is doing its job or not.  There is a tech sheet with the wiring diagram inside the cabinet of your machine if you wish to check the timer your way before proceeding. If you cannot find your tech sheet, the wiring diagram is HERE.

If you wish to check the pump correctly, the entire service manual is HERE

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 05:25:39 AM by Repair-man »

Offline Lee

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 04:12:55 PM »
Repairman,
I did what you said and I did not get a voltage reading at the pump.I then supplied current to the pump and it did operate.
So I have a new timer coming.
Thanks for the instant response and directions.
Lee
Ex-pro Electrician.
P.S. That is probably why I went at it differently!
Always kind of enjoyed working on appliances(that's all they are is a bunch of switches and motors) and with this forum it made it easier,then guessing on some stuff that I have to figure out.

Offline Lee

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 11:08:38 PM »
Well I replaced the timer and lo and behold it was not the timer but the safety switch on the lid!
Go figure.
Lee

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 04:57:37 AM »
Lee

If I can make a suggestion:

Next time you have an issue with an appliance, before you tear into it or even before you attempt to diagnose the problem, drop by here and consuilt with someone first. Instead, you went about it backwards, asking how to check other stuff that wasn't involved. We could have saved you a lot of trouble and possibly some money buying unneeded parts. We have a very methodical way of doing things, just as an electrician  does, and we have all been there and done that many times. That's what makes the difference between a parts-changer and a technician :)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 12:25:10 PM »
Timers were never refundable at my appliance parts store. We would bend over backwards to try and talk people out off buying timers because they were special order and non refundable. Around my neck of the woods we turned parts changers into techs. :D
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Lee

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 09:56:48 PM »
Thanks for everyone's help.I sure will check with this forum the next time I tackle any appliance work,but I did open up our dryer to see why the clothes were getting stuck around the rim of the dryer in front and I noticed that that nylon pads were gone or worn bad,checked for the parts,seems replacement is cut and dry (no pun intended).Anything I should know or check further?
Lee
PS
 If you like Golden Retrievers,check out our website
www.paintinggoldens.com

Offline BrntToast

• VIP Member
  • Mayday Appliance Service
    • frigidaire service blog
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 12:31:30 AM »
the adhesive never washes out if you get it on your clothes, so wear old ones when you glue on the new felt/glides
if your glides are worn you are due for a grease job on your back bearing by now too, so do that at the same time, plain ole high heat lithium grease, fill the bearing cup about half way, no more than that or the grease oozes out and burns up on the element making a heck of a stink
Mayday Appliance Service
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

The only stupid question is the one not asked

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Frigidaire Top Load Washer Timer Stops At Same Spot Every Time

Started by grace1717

Replies: 31
Views: 6561
Last post May 04, 2013, 02:45:01 PM
by abzaatari
131802100 Frigidaire Front Load Washer Timer

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 2705
Last post May 06, 2009, 02:52:10 PM
by AJ
131758600 Frigidaire Top Load Washer Timer

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3686
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:22:58 AM
by AJ
Frigidaire Washer Dryer Timer??

Started by grammie1

Replies: 1
Views: 1071
Last post November 28, 2010, 08:25:14 AM
by jumptrout51
Frigidaire Front Load washer making noise.

Started by curtis

Replies: 3
Views: 6521
Last post July 05, 2007, 09:25:04 PM
by AJ
How do I access Kenmore Washer Timer. 11023034100?

Started by wsommariva

Replies: 7
Views: 11917
Last post September 02, 2007, 04:58:36 PM
by AJ