Author Topic: Ice Misses the Bucket  (Read 1789 times)

Offline dll

• VIP Member
Ice Misses the Bucket
« on: December 06, 2008, 12:09:01 AM »
My Ice Maker seems to operate fine and production is good but on each cycle one or two cubes will miss the ice bucket and trickle down the inside of the freezer.  Not only does it make noise as it bounces down the unit but the cubes then fall on the floor when the door is opened.

I can't seem to determine the cause of the problem because most of the ice goes where it is intended.

Model Number: GD5YHA icon

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Ice Misses the Bucket
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 06:15:09 AM »
Try levelling the refrigerator first.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline dll

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 03:36:06 PM »
I have tried leveling the refrigerator but have had no success in solving the problem.  We still have our falling ice problem.   

I tried jamming a wedge behind the ice bucket to force it deeper into the freezer and farther under the ice maker.  That seemed to help a bit but did not get it far enough back to catch all of the ice.  I am thinking about fabricating a flange to adhere to the top of the ice bucket extending the lip farther into the refrigerator but that is a poor fix.

Any other ideas?

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 04:09:52 PM »
Something is installed incorrectly if it does not work as designed. Or your bin is too full and not shutting off.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 05:34:58 PM »
Is that the original IM or a replacement? Some IMs have a flap that must be installed.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline dll

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 09:16:06 PM »
This was a replacement unit but I finally solved the problem.  In front of the ice maker is a hinged cover plate that swings freely.  I realized that it was not vertical and in fact that perhaps the ice cubes were deflecting off the bottom of this cover plate and tumbling down the front of the freezer.  I decided to put some spacers to hold this cover plate as far forward as I could without interfering with the shutoff mechanism.  I used some wire nuts and duct tape to form some stand offs.  This seems to have resolved the problem finally. 

Thanks.

Whirlpool ice maker stopped working after bucket defrost

Started by stream41

Replies: 23
Views: 7771
Last post December 07, 2012, 12:32:18 PM
by AJ