Author Topic: FRS26ZNH fridge not cooling, freezer at about 44 degrees  (Read 2971 times)

Offline freeflown

• VIP Member
I have been doing a lot of searching, but I wanted to see if I am even on the right track.  I took the temps in boths sides, but I haven't unplugged it yet, as we were still trying to get all of our food out of there.  I took the ice maker tray out, and I am not noticing any water leaks, but there is light frost on the back of the freezer only, from top to bottom.  Motor is running, but don't know if that means the compressor is working or not.  Is there anything else I should be looking for before I unplug it?

Model FRS26ZNH

Offline BrntToast

• VIP Member
  • Mayday Appliance Service
    • frigidaire service blog
Re: FRS26ZNH fridge not cooling, freezer at about 44 degrees
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 09:59:48 PM »
there should be no frost on the back wall of the freezer
frost on the back wall means the evaporator is not defrosting
defrost system test must be done while the fridge is plugged in and cold

so if the unit is not cold, plug it back in overnight

then... remove the back wall of the freezer, you should see a block of frost from top to bottom on the evaporator, if you do remove the plastic kick panel on the front, on the left side is a round hole, inside the hole is the manual advance for the defrost timer, turn this with a screwdriver, it will click and the fridge will stop running, wait a few minutes and see if the heater starts to melt the frost, if it does you need to change that timer, if the heater does not get warm the next step is to bypass the defrost therm

to do this you unplug the fridge, then... near the top of the evaporator you will see a disk with 2 wires, on your generation of friggy you can unplug the wires to the therm and join the connectors that went to the therm togeather, after you join these 2 wires you should have the thermostat with 2 wires/connectors that go nowhere...

now plug fridge in again and wait, if the heater comes on now you need to change that defrost thermostat

NOTE!!!!   DO NOT!!!  leave this thermostat bypassed for any extended period of time, it is a safety device and leaving it bypassed could cause the heater to melt the fridge or start a fire!!!!!   NOTE!!!!!

if after this bypass you still get no heat from the defrost element you need to test the element with a meter and then the timer with a meter

also, frigidaire defrost therms will look like the plastic top is popping off of them sometimes when they are defective, so if the therm looks like this it should be changed

Mayday Appliance Service
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

The only stupid question is the one not asked

CROSLEY FRIDGE FREEZER NOT COOLING

Started by flair

Replies: 9
Views: 6686
Last post October 15, 2009, 08:02:50 PM
by JWWebster
Freezer side 0 degrees fridge side 60 degrees

Started by dirtrider180

Replies: 3
Views: 2236
Last post April 07, 2009, 04:28:46 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
LG LRBC20512TT Bottom Freezer Refrigerator NOT COOLING fridge area!

Started by contactbrady

Replies: 7
Views: 9982
Last post February 07, 2010, 03:55:46 PM
by contactbrady
LG FRENCH DOOR FRIDGE AREA NOT COOLING FREEZER WORKS

Started by matts1123

Replies: 11
Views: 6203
Last post May 12, 2011, 11:13:10 PM
by matts1123
Hot point fridge not cooling! freezer is freezing.

Started by aceunderfire

Replies: 31
Views: 4184
Last post January 23, 2012, 02:28:58 PM
by aceunderfire
Need Help.... Deer is Thawing Out.... HELP>>>>>>Fridge or Freezer not cooling...

Started by railmule

Replies: 8
Views: 1241
Last post January 28, 2012, 02:58:02 PM
by RegUS_PatOff