Author Topic: Frigidaire Refrigerator  (Read 21117 times)

Offline Rogue

• VIP Member
Re: Frigidaire Refrigerator
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2009, 04:36:05 PM »
hmm, it already iced up again, but I think it may be because I left the rear freezer panel off? Anyway, I defrosted it again, and reattached the panel. For some reason now though the temp indicator said it was 75F when it was obviously about 45F, and now it says it is 0F when it is obviously warmer. I guess it just need to recalibrate itself? I will be back on here again in about 5-6 hours after work.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2009, 09:37:16 PM »
OK what is the status?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 09:38:56 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Rogue

• VIP Member
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 10:10:54 PM »
The correct temperatures are displaying now, according to a little special fridge/freezer thermometer we have.

Offline Rogue

• VIP Member
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2009, 06:13:23 PM »
Can anyone tell me how long from a full defrost that the fridge should be able to keep cold? We are under strain here since we are not able to keep a lot of food in the house since we don't really know how long it will keep cold.

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2009, 06:42:24 PM »
It will defrost approximately twice in 24 hours. Each defrost cycle will last 30 minutes or less.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline Rogue

• VIP Member
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2009, 06:55:25 PM »
I mean how long until the evaporator will freeze up to the point that it stops cooling? The defrost at this point does not work.

Offline BrntToast

• VIP Member
  • Mayday Appliance Service
    • frigidaire service blog
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2009, 09:32:16 PM »
it takes a few days before you lose cooling to the point food will spoil

your fridge has no set defrost times, it uses an adaptive defrost system that runs the defrost cycle based on compressor run times and door openings

you said forced defrost came on for you one time, is it not entering defrost when forced now?

btw, you have to replace the freezer back or the fridge will run constant cause air is not circulating properly, even if you just put one screw in to hold it in place, thats good enough

and one of your earlier questions... forced defrost will not work 2 times in a row, the defrost thermostat opens and turns off the heater at around 47 degrees, it must cool again before the heater can come on again

did the last technician have the control panel in the fresh food section apart at any time?  if so we need to check 2 wires in there that can mess up defrost if reversed

sorry i missed you yesterday, had a busy day and had to catch up on my sleep

i'll be on and off for a while yet tonight
Mayday Appliance Service
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

The only stupid question is the one not asked

Offline Rogue

• VIP Member
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2009, 11:17:50 PM »
The first time I tried it, it did not work for whatever reason, but after that cycle ended and I tried again, it worked. Later that night (about 6 hours later) when the evap was frozen again, I ran it again and it worked fine, so maybe I had the door open too long getting that panel off or whatever so maybe it was just on the edge of that cutoff temp where it won't run. but the heater works for sure (glowed bright red and melted the ice quickly).

The tech never accessed a back panel in the fresh food area, only the freezer, and never touched the wires other than with his meter.

Offline Rogue

• VIP Member
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2009, 02:03:49 AM »
Also, if getting a meter is necessary, which of these do you think would be good? I would like to go as cheap as possible but still produce good results. lol

I ask now in case you answer by tomorrow afternoon before I leave for work. Then I can just buy it before I leave.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=25730-85476-DM110-L&lpage=none

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=205783-72068-TK-30&lpage=none

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=76039-1781-GMT-12A&lpage=none

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=87143-1781-GDT-185A&lpage=none

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience

Offline Rogue

• VIP Member
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2009, 08:33:21 PM »
Any particular reason why the analog tester is bad? I actually went ahead and bought it today after my shift (since it was the cheapest) and was going to return it the next time I went to work if it wasn't recommended. Is it not accurate enough for what I need it for?

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2009, 08:39:32 PM »
I just find it's easier to read a digital meter. Also a digital with auto ranging is easier to operate as you don't have to think about what scale to put the meter on.

A analog will work just find. I used one one daily many years ago, but why on earth anyone would by one now day's is beyond me. :)

Offline Rogue

• VIP Member
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2009, 08:58:56 PM »
hmm, I don't know now. I would really just be using this for this one job and anything that might pop up in the future, I don't see the point in spending any more on this if it will get the job done. I do agree though if I was using it daily or on a job digital and auto ranging would be a lot easier (just did a little reading up on it).

Offline BrntToast

• VIP Member
  • Mayday Appliance Service
    • frigidaire service blog
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2009, 09:21:19 PM »
analog will suit your needs fine, just be carefull and check and double check you have it set for the correct reading  i.e voltage and continuity

hooking an analog meter up to voltage when it is set to read contiuity will blow the fuse in the meter

what is the status of the unit tonight?
Mayday Appliance Service
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

The only stupid question is the one not asked

Offline Rogue

• VIP Member
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2009, 09:24:19 PM »
Still working. It was last defrosted Friday night, so I imagine it must be pretty iced up by now.

Frigidaire Refrigerator Ice Dispenser Problems

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 2
Views: 7415
Last post June 11, 2013, 01:23:14 PM
by kcfinch
Frigidaire Refrigerator not cooling anymore :(?

Started by yahoo

Replies: 4
Views: 7085
Last post March 29, 2008, 08:19:36 AM
by JWWebster
Frigidaire Refrigerator Won't Make Ice

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 4467
Last post April 09, 2008, 07:35:03 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Frigidaire Refrigerator Not Cooling Properly