Forum > Heating & Air Conditioning Repair

capacitor replacement for Ruud outside unit

(1/3) > >>

ddw4170:
I have a blown(actually blew the top off) cap on a Ruud unit, of course this happened on Saturday night before Memorial day weekend. My question is, the original was a 40 + 3 microfarad 440 volt, the only replacement that I could get today was a 35 + 5 micro 370 volt. If I have done the math correctly, this would be multiplied by 1.189, which would make it the equivalant of a 41.6 + 5.9 at 440, so will this damage anything? I plan to get the correct one Tuesday, but don't want to damage the fan motor, it's just so hot, I really need to run the unit. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
DDW

UPKA-035JAZ

jumptrout51:
You can replace a 370 with a 440. You CAN NOT replace a 440 with a 370.
You can go up not down.

ddw4170:
I am wondering about the microfarad rating, a friend said that this may make the fan run faster and possibly damage the fan motor? I have a little exoerience with appliances(mainly refrigerators and the like) but I am not real familiar with caps.

DDW

ddw4170:
So would this damage anything to run like this for a couple of days? I stuck it in and it is working OK right now, but I definitely don't want compressor problems later.

Thanks,
DDW

jumptrout51:
You can get by on a +- of 10% in a pinch. The 370/440 issue will damage your unit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version