Author Topic: whirlpool dishwasher not draining water  (Read 7325 times)

Offline john kimble

• VIP Member
whirlpool dishwasher not draining water
« on: May 19, 2009, 02:06:28 PM »
Model Number: DU3000XR1 icon

Hello,

As of yesterday my old (early 90's) whirlpool dishwasher stopped draining the water. I removed the plastic mesh filter and cleaned out any debris. I tried running it again with no luck.  I then removed the hose which runs from the bottom of the dishwasher to my sink, and found a small white plastic ball and ''M'' shaped clip jammed inside the hose. I figured this was the problem soI removed the ball and clip, reinstalled the hose...with no luck...still wont drain.

I then found a thread on here that shows the little white ball and ''M'' clip are used inside of the white nossle which connects the bottom part of my dishwasher to the hose.  I reinstalled the ball and clip inside of the white nossle, cleaned it all out and reinstalled it.  

I have yet to run the dishwasher after doing this because I am now at work...but could this have been the problem as the ball and clip were not installed when I initially pulled it apart?

I cant find any other clogs...it all looks pretty clean in there...

thanks

Offline Al Capone

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • ApplianceJunk.com
Re: whirlpool dishwasher not draining water
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 03:19:37 PM »
Hi John,

Could you post the model number for us.

Thanks,
RepairClinic.com - Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy!

AppliancePartsPros.com - Over 1 Million Appliance Parts In-Stock. 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!

Offline john kimble

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 07:13:47 PM »
DU3000XR-1

Offline john kimble

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 07:54:22 PM »
I tried running it again, and it still wont drain!  I look inside the sink/dishwasher drain and see some water being pumped into it from the hose that's connected to the dishwasher.

What should I do?

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 08:28:41 AM »
Remove the check valve ( the white plastic part the hose is attached to with the ball and clip) by gripping it firmly and rotating it counter clockwise.( Be prepared for water coming out) The blockage is usually in here or in the hose /drain itself. Blow through the hose to the drain just to make sure it's clear.

Offline john kimble

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 02:41:25 PM »
Remove the check valve ( the white plastic part the hose is attached to with the ball and clip) by gripping it firmly and rotating it counter clockwise.( Be prepared for water coming out) The blockage is usually in here or in the hose /drain itself. Blow through the hose to the drain just to make sure it's clear.

I did that and everything is clean.  Any other suggestions?

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 03:39:54 PM »
Does the motor run? When you removed the hose did water come out of the dishwasher?

Offline john kimble

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 04:16:03 PM »
Does the motor run? When you removed the hose did water come out of the dishwasher?

The motor runs but sounds much rougher then usual.  When I removed the hose from the sink, it drained all of the water out of the dishwasher.

During the cycle, I can look into the garbage disposal from the sink, and see it pumping water from the dishwasher into the garbage disposal.

I am getting ready to tear this thing out and throw it away. 

Lines are clear.  Check valve is clear.  Must be the motor?

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 09:15:05 AM »
Ok try removing the hose from the garbage disposal and put it in a large bucket higher than the water level in the dishwasher and drain it. It should empty out fairly quickly. If it does you might have a blockage at the disposal either where the hose attaches or the disposal itself. I find with mine that I usually have to run the disposal before the dishwasher to clear it of any debris or it backs up and when the dishwasher stops the dirty water drains back into the dishwasher. If it doesn't completely drain with the bucket then you have blockage inside the dishwasher and you need to disassemble down to the impeler to find it.

Offline john kimble

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 11:17:23 AM »
Ok try removing the hose from the garbage disposal and put it in a large bucket higher than the water level in the dishwasher and drain it. It should empty out fairly quickly. If it does you might have a blockage at the disposal either where the hose attaches or the disposal itself. I find with mine that I usually have to run the disposal before the dishwasher to clear it of any debris or it backs up and when the dishwasher stops the dirty water drains back into the dishwasher. If it doesn't completely drain with the bucket then you have blockage inside the dishwasher and you need to disassemble down to the impeler to find it.

The garbage disposal is running fine, a nice "hum" when I run it and sink water goes right through. 

When you say the "hose from the garbage disposal", do you mean the hose that goes from the dishwasher -> sink overflow thing, or from the sink overflow -> garbage disposal? 

I don't have a "drain" button on my dishwasher, but I did remove the hose that goes from the washer to the overflow valve, and placed the hose lower then the dishwasher to create a siphon effect, and the water drained smooth and fast into the bucket. 

I am thinking its a pumping problem, or something glogged internally deep inside the machine.

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 02:06:28 PM »
Where the drain hose attaches to your drain under the sink remove it put it in a large bucket and run the dishwasher to see if it will pump water into the bucket. If it does the dishwasher is not the problem the drain is.

Offline john kimble

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 02:25:50 PM »
Well like I said while the dishwasher is running I can look into the sink, and I can see water being pumped into the garbage disposal from the long hose which runs from the dishwasher to the disposal. the sink itself drains water fine and the disposal seems to be ok aswell. is this narrowed to a definite dishwasher problem? if so i found a dishwasher locally extremely cheap...

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 02:52:41 PM »
It looks like you have partial blockage inside the machine so try taking it apart a little further by removing the spray arm and the parts beneath it to get to the impeller there's probably something caught in there.

Offline TJW

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 01:13:09 AM »
When you say the "hose from the garbage disposal", do you mean the hose that goes from the dishwasher -> sink overflow thing, or from the sink overflow -> garbage disposal? 

I'm thinking you are talking about a siphon break on the back rim of your sink. If it is, take the hose off coming from dishwasher and  if it's long enough, bypass the siphon break and hook it temporarily to the disposal. Try the drain again. It somehow sounds like a restriction on the washer side of siphon break. Itís worth a shot.

Offline john kimble

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 02:27:13 AM »
OK so I just bypassed the siphon break, and it looks and sounds like it's working.  I can also see a LOT more water going from the hose into the garbage disposal.  So if it drains at the end of the cycle...all I need is a new siphon break?  What causes a siphon break to go bad?

Thanks and I will keep you updated.

I'm thinking you are talking about a siphon break on the back rim of your sink. If it is, take the hose off coming from dishwasher and  if it's long enough, bypass the siphon break and hook it temporarily to the disposal. Try the drain again. It somehow sounds like a restriction on the washer side of siphon break. Itís worth a shot.

Whirlpool Dishwasher - Does not pump the water out.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 7914
Last post January 17, 2008, 10:34:53 PM
by AJ
whirlpool dishwasher wont spray water

Started by lsparkie

Replies: 17
Views: 10325
Last post April 28, 2014, 05:42:11 AM
by Laniktom
8193513A Whirlpool Dishwasher Water Pump & Motor Assembly