Author Topic: New relay and overload after refrigerator was overheading still need help!!!!!!!  (Read 3391 times)

Offline PRM

• VIP Member
Last week my side by side refrigerator/ freezer quite working.  I noticed a clicking sounds when it quite working.  I had a repair man out and he said that it needed a new relay and overload and it would cost $250.00.  I paid him the service call fee and he told me what need to be replaced...i installed the new relay and overload but not sure if it is work.  How do I know that it is working?  Sounds like it might be working but I not really seeing a drop in temperature in the first hour?  

The repair man did say that the red wire goes to the overload the the white wire goes to the lead on the compressor...is that correct?  

Any help or suggestions would be great since I am trying to save some money!
Thanks,
Paul

Model Number: ED22RF icon

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
If the compressor came on after you did the repair, it takes 24 hours to cool to normal. Leave it shut for at least 12 hours.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline PRM

• VIP Member
If the compressor came on after you did the repair, it takes 24 hours to cool to normal. Leave it shut for at least 12 hours.
I think that the compressor came on...the cooling fan did come on and then office...the fridge and maybe compressor were quite and then came back on....I will keep on watching.  How do i know that the compressor came on? Can i feel the compressor or coils for warmer temperatures?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
OK, it's been 12 hours...did it  cool down any?

Was going to upload a diagram of the compressor wiring for you, but alas...no upload feature any more!

I guess you might could use this Tech Sheet instead.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 05:30:31 AM by Repair-man »

Offline Al Capone

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • ApplianceJunk.com
Was going to upload a diagram of the compressor wiring for you, but alas...no upload feature any more!

You should now be able to upload attachments again, thanks.
RepairClinic.com - Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy!

AppliancePartsPros.com - Over 1 Million Appliance Parts In-Stock. 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!

Offline PRM

• VIP Member

You should now be able to upload attachments again, thanks.

No cooling after 12 hours!  Wires appear to be installed correctly...any suggestions everyone?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
The best bet is that your compressor is bad. If a new relay and overload did not solve the problem, the first repair guy was wrong...a clicking compressor means it is locked up.

I sent you the tech sheet above, but if it makes no sense to you, then none of us can help you either. This will be an involved repair not designed for lay persons.

Consider a new fridge, cause you'll be looking at $450 or so to repair this one...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 06:14:22 AM by Repair-man »

Offline PRM

• VIP Member
The best bet is that your compressor is bad. If a new relay and overload did not solve the problem, the first repair guy was wrong...a clicking compressor means it is locked up.

I sent you the tech sheet above, but if it makes no sense to you, then none of us can help you either. This will be an involved repair not designed for lay persons.

Consider a new fridge, cause you'll be looking at $450 or so to repair this one...
I checked the wiring diagram...i think white wire was incorrectly installed to a ground on the compressor...I installed it to the relay (top left when look at the relay from the front while installed on the compressor) but not sure if it is working yet...i did hear the compressor come on but no cool air in the fridge yet....thinking it might be time to call in the pros

Offline PRM

• VIP Member

I checked the wiring diagram...i think white wire was incorrectly installed to a ground on the compressor...I installed it to the relay (top left when look at the relay from the front while installed on the compressor) but not sure if it is working yet...i did hear the compressor come on but no cool air in the fridge yet....thinking it might be time to call in the pros
Compressor is warm to the touch...isn't that is a good sign?  I don't want to call someone out to find out i fixed it but we have been with out the fridge for 4 days...so i need to make the call soon

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
You'll know in 12 hours.

Offline PRM

• VIP Member

Compressor is warm to the touch...isn't that is a good sign?  I don't want to call someone out to find out i fixed it but we have been with out the fridge for 4 days...so i need to make the call soon
temp seem to be dropping (68.4 three mins later 67.2) in freezer...think i might have it fixed....going to leave it for a few hours and see what it does...will keep you all posted.

Offline PRM

• VIP Member
Thanks to all those that helped...my wife just called me at work and said the freezer is at 38 and dropping....fixed it!   ;D  Thanks to repair-man for posting the wire digram...help me pinpoint that I had a wire installed incorrectly and saved me at least $75 for a service call. 
Thanks all....hope to not be on here any time soon but if I need help again this is my first stop.
Have a great day! Paul O0

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
I will slap my own wrist first, but I have to ask.
What amp draw do you read at the compressor?
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline PRM

• VIP Member
I will slap my own wrist first, but I have to ask.
What amp draw do you read at the compressor?
Did not check the amps at yet...I will try, never have really done this before, but I do have a volt meter and will try to figure it out tonight. 

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
Dang, trout....just had to stir it up :)

12002782 Maytag Refrigerator Overload Start Relay Repair Kit

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 5631
Last post April 07, 2009, 04:21:33 PM
by AJ
12002784 Refrigerator Start Relay Overload Repair Kit

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 4338