Author Topic: HELP Please! Kenmore dryer acting up !!  (Read 3707 times)

Offline offshor

• VIP Member
HELP Please! Kenmore dryer acting up !!
« on: May 10, 2009, 10:12:07 PM »
Hello and thanks to anyone who may be able to help me here, I have a Kenmore electric that has stopped heating AND wont turn off at the end of the cycle all of a sudden. I am using the timed dry side of the cycle as always. Again, these two symptoms have started happening simultaneously, which I find weird or coincidental at best. No lint in filter, no blockages in vent ... I dont mind replacing several parts to try to fix and nail down the culprit, especially if they'll extend the life of dryer If I just knew what to replace other than the element. Please help if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks so very much!  :)

Model 110.64722400

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: HELP Please! Kenmore dryer acting up !!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 10:25:42 PM »
your dryer probably has a feature that moves the timer motor to the end of cycle when no more moisture is sensed. If the heating element or limit has blown then the clothes won't get dry and therefore the timer won't move to the off position.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 10:30:24 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 10:32:48 PM »
Get the dust cover off the back and remove the heater element. Inspect it for breaks in the coil. It only has a cupla screws holding it on the heater assembly. The limit is a 2 part kit mounted on the side of the same compartment. the smaller one at top blows quickly when the vent pipe is stopped up.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 08:57:59 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline offshor

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 11:06:33 PM »
Hey JW and THANKS SO MUCH for such a prompt reply- AWESOME!  O0

So you say to replace the element and the limit on the dryer, right?

I see you provided the partnumber for the limit (i think thats what that is, right? part number on the pic?). Would you happen to have the partnumber for the heating element as well?

Will I have to go to Sears for this or can I go to another source?

Any other diagrams for the parts and installations would be GREATLY appreciated. The pic of the back of the dryer is a bit small and I can barely make it out ... you dont have another one I could use do ya?           

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 11:10:18 PM »
YEP
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 11:13:28 PM »
Once you remove the rear dust cover (have the dryer unplugged) the element and its limits will be to the right and the filter housing with the cycle thermostat, blower, and fuse will be to the left.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 11:18:28 PM »
Get yer parts from our posted source to the left top diagrams and parts. The appliance parts pros are the baddest that ever hit the planet with the best prices and parts! 100% satisfaction garonteed. Tell em the sublime one sent ye.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 11:24:35 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline offshor

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 11:31:22 PM »
The Sublime One, huh ?!  ;D

Okay, sounds real good JW! One more thing, do ya think I should replace this "fuse" you speak of as well? I have read another thread tonite, I think on another site that you were the tech and they were testing what seemed like all kinds of stuff, that I had a hard time following.

What do you think these parts will run me "off the top of yer head" ?         

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 11:58:02 PM »
The element is around 40 bucks and the limit kit is around 30 bucks so you needs to make sure of what you is buying. No need in buying both. best to check these guys with a meter or just eye ball the element for breaks.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 09:00:21 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 11:59:42 PM »
 There is no need to replace any item that ain't broke.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline offshor

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 12:04:03 AM »

Alright so tell me if I got my gameplan right here ... I am going to take the dust cover off and then take the element out and check her for physical breaks in the coils. If there are no breaks I am going to order the limit kit. If there ARE any breaks whatsoever in the coils, then I am going to order the element ... am I on the right track here, SublimeOne ?     

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 12:08:18 AM »
I just checked the current prices $23 bucks for the limit kit $45 bucks for the heater. If the vent was stopped up the limit would blow, and if the heater was brittle the wires would break. So those are some things that would give you an idea.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline offshor

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 12:12:05 AM »

Okay sounds good, I will investigate and let you know how I make out. I am very greatful for yer help JW, how can I repay you? (Other than mailin' a check for a cool million?  ;D )

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 12:18:01 AM »
If you have any questions in the future about appliances or HVAC, commercial ice systems or anything related to gas appliances, feel free to check out my FAQ page:
http://sites.google.com/site/sublimeappliancerepair/Home
PS: there is a little beer mug icon on the left, click on it for any tips you might wanna send. Not that you have to.  :rofl: It's been real. :D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 09:02:33 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline offshor

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 12:42:14 AM »
Okay JW, much obliged nonetheless! Thank you so much!

Checked the heating element just now and one of the coils is broken sho' nuff!! No blockages so sounds like I am in need of the element there fer sure!!

Gonna order one here and git' er done !!  O0

You are the Man!! and again, my sincere Thanks !! 

Kenmore Dryer

Started by jdman

Replies: 6
Views: 6092
Last post August 12, 2007, 07:30:06 PM
by AJ
Kenmore Electric Dryer - Model F60909644

Started by txgal

Replies: 1
Views: 4324
Last post August 07, 2007, 08:21:33 AM
by AJ