Author Topic: Kenmore Elite side by side refrig...coldspot  (Read 6051 times)

Offline underdawg247

• VIP Member
Kenmore Elite side by side refrig...coldspot
« on: May 01, 2009, 07:50:29 AM »
I have a kenmore elite (coldspot) side by side refrig. I started having problems with it spraying water in the freezer from the icemaker. I bought the water inlet valve but have not had time to put it on. Now I noticed that the refrigerator is not as cold as it should be. The freezer is still freezing well. Any ideas?  Does anyone have a service manual for this refrig. I just need some diagnostic info. Any help or info is greatly appreciated.

Model 106.53602201

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Kenmore Elite side by side refrig...coldspot
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 08:00:45 AM »
Since this is a Whirlpool product made for Sears, your best bet is to go to the Whirlpool forum and look at the refrigerator manuals available there.

Water spraying into the freezer is a sign the inlet tube for the icemaker is frozen up. Usually this is from poor water pressure (clogged filter or valve). The frozen water may also be upon the cooling coils, which might explain the poor temps. Air cannot pass thru ice. I suggest a thorough exam of the freezer and get your lazy self on to replace that valve :)
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline underdawg247

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 03:01:55 PM »
The tube is not frozen. I already checked that and even unhooked it and blew air through it to be certain. Perfectly clear. There does not appear to be any obstruction or ice build up on the cooling coils. 

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 05:46:55 PM »
How can you tell the icemaker is causing the water to spray?

If the fill tube is clear, the water enters at a fairly low pressure. There is noplace for it to "spray" unless it is cascading over the top of the icemaker and into the freezer. Can you describe the symptoms in more detail, please?

Offline underdawg247

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 07:56:25 PM »
Well the ice maker issue is definitely the valve. Just have to put it on. I am just curious as to the issue with the cooling of the frig compartment. I have cleaned (as best I could) the coils underneath  and anything else I could reach. It is doing better now. Things actually feel cold to the touch again. I just don't know if there are other issues. i would like to do further diagnostics if anyone has more information.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 08:44:17 PM »
We do diagnostics the simple way ...by using a thermometer in the freezer section to measure for 0 degrees or so. If this is attained, finding the cause for higher than normal temps in the fresh food section can be done later. If your icemaker was becoming jammed due to the spraying effect, it could have stuck in the harvest mode for some time, causing an increase in temps from the mold heater.

As far as "information", what did you have in mind? We don't teach refrigeration. The follwing Whirlpool manual for side by side refrigerators is a good diagnostic guide, particularly the chart on page 21. Good homework material.

Side By Side Manual
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 08:50:23 PM by Repair-man »

Offline underdawg247

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 06:41:53 AM »
Hey thanks for the information. It will be a great help. As far as refrigeration, that is not a problem. I have worked on automotive A/C systems for years as well as having worked at Pepsi for awhile in the service department. My one downfall on refrigeration is working with and diagnosing the electronic controls....my kryptonite.  I am slowly learning but when something breaks I get impatient with myself for not knowing more. I need to take some classes to increase my knowledge.

Thanks again. God bless.

Kenmore Coldspot side by side refrigerator

Started by kornbread3

Replies: 1
Views: 4741
Last post March 01, 2009, 07:34:29 AM
by Repair-man
GE side by side refrig.

Started by MajorApp

Replies: 4
Views: 2348
Last post June 11, 2008, 11:44:56 AM
by Repair-man
Kenmore side by side, water tastes terrible

Started by 2kcloudy

Replies: 4
Views: 3598
Last post July 19, 2008, 04:28:56 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
Lower part of refrig side freezes items

Started by mattmoman

Replies: 1
Views: 1970
Last post September 29, 2008, 05:37:43 AM
by Repair-man
Kenmore side by side-ice door flap?

Started by Jearls2

Replies: 2
Views: 2171
Last post October 08, 2008, 09:26:40 PM
by JWWebster
Kenmore 106.56539400 Side By Side Not Cooling?

Started by shacky001

Replies: 6
Views: 3733
Last post October 09, 2008, 02:14:49 PM
by JWWebster